PDA

View Full Version : Could this powerlifting routine be done without drugs?

The Celt
04-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey y'all... I think for the time being I'm going to focus more of my energy and attention on powerlifting and put bodybuilding on the backburner. I was doin' a little internet research when I came across this website:
http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=80

It seems like a good routine however, I question whether or not it could be too intense for someone not taking steroids. The routine does have you squatting 4 times a week which leads me to believe it may be a little too much for my "creatine & glutamine" supplementation program.

I got away with squatting 4 times a week in high school but... :p

DontGiveUp
04-30-2004, 09:24 PM
I have read one of his books. His principals are on the right track, but this is a "cookie cutter" routine. There is a lot more fine tuning needed to be done.

During a program like that, you would need to reduce the number of days per week, training the same exercise. You may start with four days per week, but should reduce to 3, then 2 then 1.

This is not quit the way I would design it for someone.

Anthony
05-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I believe this was posted before and it was agreed you should pay very close attention to this line:

"You shall gain but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit, Comrade."

The Celt
05-01-2004, 02:35 PM
See, the thing is, I'm very frustrated with my strength right now and I personally hold that over appearance. I have no problem with working hard to acheive my goals but, I just don't wanna waste my time with something that might not only not help, but do the exact opposite and overtrain me.

I have used 5 sets of 5 in the past and even 6 sets of 4 but, I was looking to go a different route this time.

Adam
05-01-2004, 05:20 PM
You could try Westside. I find it fun, tons of variations.
Links in my sig. for the routine basics.

DontGiveUp
05-01-2004, 06:38 PM
See, the thing is, I'm very frustrated with my strength right now and I personally hold that over appearance. I have no problem with working hard to acheive my goals but, I just don't wanna waste my time with something that might not only not help, but do the exact opposite and overtrain me.

I have used 5 sets of 5 in the past and even 6 sets of 4 but, I was looking to go a different route this time.

A program based off of the 5x5 program is the best way to go for strength. You just have to know how to put it together. I make gains after every 10-14 week training cycle and so do all of my clients.

Paul Stagg
05-02-2004, 10:39 AM
A program based off of the 5x5 program is the best way to go for strength. You just have to know how to put it together. I make gains after every 10-14 week training cycle and so do all of my clients.

Really?

Paul Stagg
05-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Yes, that routine can be done without drugs. Yes, it could be successful. You have to experiment to see how it works for YOU, and what changes, if any, you need to make.

There isn't a magic, cookie cutter routine that is 'the best'.