PDA

View Full Version : Pre Workout Snack

Hawg
05-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Just wonderin, what people eat before they workout.I eat two bananas and drink a can of isotonic sports drink about an hour before hand ,works great for me, I also drink about two litres of water during a 90 minute intense workout.

Jasonl
05-02-2004, 06:37 AM
I take 25g whey and 25g dextrose about 30min before.

Adam
05-02-2004, 06:46 AM
I take 40grams of maltodextrin and 25grams of whey 10mins prior to lifting.

Allyrulez
05-02-2004, 06:50 AM
75grams of porridge mixed with ~30grams Massive Whey & a bit of honey, then an apple

ryuage
05-02-2004, 07:09 AM
if I lift first thing like... wake up have to eat and head out the door to the gym which is most days I consume about 25/25 malto/pro blend and end up hitting the gym about 15-25 minutes after that. If I have time to eat then about 2-3 hours beforehand a meal with carbs (sweet potato, oatmeal, rice/beans, and veggies/fruit) and a protein source.

Saint Patrick
05-02-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't usually take anything pre-workout. When I do, it's like 3 tbsp gatorade mix (about 15g dextrose) and 5g creatine.

Not to say I lift on an empty stomach, I just feel that the post-workout nutrition is more important.

galileo
05-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Not to say I lift on an empty stomach, I just feel that the post-workout nutrition is more important.

I'd have to disagree on that. The main point of post-workout nutrition is to stop further breakdown. Your protein synthesis will remain high for quite some time after a workout (I believe up to 36 hours from studies), so the "window" isn't that small for the benefits of the workout. If you were depleting severely and purposefully, then I'd say post-workout would be the right time. Otherwise, a pre/during/post protocol that is far more modest would likely work better.

I'd go with 15g whey pre-workout and 30g dex/malt or the equivalent in gatorade powder. Anectdotally, I think that this improves the workout as well.

PiKappaWRX
05-02-2004, 10:02 AM
i am definately a fan of the post-workout nutrition moreso than preworkout. i will usually just eat meals normally throughout the day and go workout whenever i can fit it in, but always make sure to have a shake (whey, dextrose, glutamine) post workout. ok just cuz i said two things that spark controversy in these forums i have to now ask this. please no one reply telling me how worthless l-glutamine is and how it doesn't work in humans, and secondly i already know how chris has explained many times that pre/post workout nutrition isn't the most important as long as you eat enough throughout the day and yes, i know how the rest of the story goes. k, that's it.

live your lives, live your dreams.

ryuage
05-02-2004, 10:14 AM
haha good one blkwrx

MrWebb78
05-02-2004, 11:43 AM
i eat something different every day. i couldnt imagine having the same thing everyday all the time.

jimlynch11
05-02-2004, 12:04 PM
I have half a banana, half a granola bar, and a serving of whey pre-workout.

I have half a banana, half a granola bar, and a piece of chicken breast post-workout. Also, this is when I have my creatine and a dose of ZMA. (I also take a dose of ZMA before bed).

PiKappaWRX
05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
thanks guys for answering my plee.