PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting on your own

ryuage
05-02-2004, 03:10 PM
is there any real powerlifting routine that would be able to be done without assistance?

frazz00
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
i workout alone, i don't have a spotter when i squat, if i can't push it up, thats what the safey rails are for. I don't see how a spotter can help with deadlifts, and you can always ask someone for a spot on the bench.

Adam
05-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I've trained for powerlifting for many months w/out a dedicated(training partners) spotter. Just ask someone in the gym for a spot if you need it.

ryuage
05-02-2004, 04:04 PM
did you wo using board presses etc..?

Paul Stagg
05-02-2004, 04:52 PM
I train without a partner.

I don't see how you *need* one for any routine, although a good training partner is certianly valuable.

Yes, I do board presses without a partner.

Adam
05-02-2004, 05:12 PM
The only time you need a spotter alot is while doing westside. Even then you only need one on ME lifts. You can do board presses but just don't go till failor.

DontGiveUp
05-02-2004, 06:45 PM
I train at home on my own. Don't have anyone to train with or to spot me.

Gives me that much more reason to make the lift

WannabeSmalljjk
05-05-2004, 05:24 PM
The only time you need a spotter alot is while doing westside. Even then you only need one on ME lifts. You can do board presses but just don't go till failor.

Actually not necessarily. I did ME bench today alone, i failed a total of 4 times and didn't get hurt once. I had full range of montion down to my chest and everything. I used a power rack with 1 in hole spacings, i put the safety pins half a inch above my chest. When i arch my chest is several inches about the safety pins so getting full range of montion isn't a problem. If i can't preform the lift i flatten out my back and inch my way from out bar unrack it then do it again. Well it works for me, hope this helps.

Also on board presses i do the same, if i fail i roll the bar onto the pins (i use a band to hold the board in place).

wrestlemaniac
05-05-2004, 11:16 PM
"I don't need a spotter" - famous last words of so many lifters.

phreak
05-06-2004, 02:44 AM
"I don't need a spotter" - famous last words of so many lifters.
:) lifters without a properly set-up power cage, that is. I'm going to have one at home soon (so definitely no spotter there), but I always train in a cage at the gym as well. Most of the time I don't feel like asking anyone to spot me, because almost all people at my gym suck.

ElPietro
05-06-2004, 08:14 AM
You can also try and train max triples instead of max singles. You should know after your second one if you are gonna be able to make the third or not. If it's even close and you don't have any form of safety catches or pins setup then don't bother trying it.

Ford Prefect
05-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Good advice by EP. I train on my own and it is a bit frusterating not being able to push myself like I would with a partner, but you can still make steady and safe progress.

ElPietro
05-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Ford, what's up! Glad you finally made it over here.

Chicker
05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
I do a lot of my training on my own - and yeah, it sucks that you can't really push yourself because of the risk...

brianbob123
05-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Actually not necessarily. I did ME bench today alone, i failed a total of 4 times and didn't get hurt once. I

That's not an accomplishment. There shouldn't be the risk of getting hurt

WannabeSmalljjk
05-07-2004, 12:09 AM
That's not an accomplishment. There shouldn't be the risk of getting hurt

There wasn't, did you read the post? Yes it was accomplishment i got a PR. You add nothing to the forum by just saying how stupid someone else's idea was and that it wasn't an accomplishment. I had safety pins, i just had to flatten out my back. The weight was 305, i had to unrack it myself because i was alone. I wouldnt use a weight that would immediately crush me (i'd have to unrack it first anyways) it would hit my chest, then i would flatten out my back. My chest is barely two inches about the safety pins. I'm trying to help out wtf are doing by putting me down?

Ford Prefect
05-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Calm down guys.

I agree with besmall though. I use pins on the bench the same way occasionally. Funnyest thing was when I was at a commercial gym though and I go pinned without an safety devices. I had to sit there and ask for help until somebody finally noticed and helped out. lol! Embarassing.

EP.

It was a slow day so I figured what the hell. ;)

brianbob123
05-08-2004, 03:43 PM
There wasn't, did you read the post? Yes it was accomplishment i got a PR. You add nothing to the forum by just saying how stupid someone else's idea was and that it wasn't an accomplishment. I had safety pins, i just had to flatten out my back. The weight was 305, i had to unrack it myself because i was alone. I wouldnt use a weight that would immediately crush me (i'd have to unrack it first anyways) it would hit my chest, then i would flatten out my back. My chest is barely two inches about the safety pins. I'm trying to help out wtf are doing by putting me down?

Congrulations about the personal best. I was saying NOT Getting hurt is not an accomplishment, and if doing excercise their is a serious risk of getting hurt, then it is not worth pushing.

da'ville's-big1
05-16-2004, 02:43 AM
i love the safety rail

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/alton315squat.jpg

if you can't complete the squat just drop the weight on the rail.

SW
05-18-2004, 07:06 PM
i have a group that lifts with me. i much prefer it because you have lots of encouragement and comradery.....and stuff.also you can go the extra mile and not worry about your sternum meeting your spine on bench. i like the company.

chris6969
05-26-2004, 11:03 AM
You NEED a spotter, its just whether its a person or a piece of the proper equipment. (spotter/safety rails) Personally, I find having a workout partner who is about the same or a little bit ahead of you is great for motivation (the competition)

A good powercage is the way to go:
http://www.masterofeverything.com/images/dcp00624.jpg

My weightroom set up: http://www.masterofeverything.com/weightroom.asp