PDA

View Full Version : fruites

AzBboy
05-02-2004, 09:17 PM
hi i was just wondering what are some good fruits of choice for bodybuilding? what are some hi-calorie fruits? i never liked fruit but if it will help me with growing then im gonna make myself eat em. and if possible, does anyone know a link to like a chart that tells the nutrition content of fruits? thanx alot guys

wrestlemaniac
05-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Why don't you like fruit? They're tastey and give you energy. I find I didn't get enough fruit as a kid because I liked candy etc but now that I don't eat that I'd say fruit is probably one of the top tasting foods.

Spartacus
05-02-2004, 09:39 PM
just eat a variety, there are no "bad" fruits per se. they have differnet nutrients but just don't eat all of the same one and you'll be fine. maybe aim for a citrus, some berries, etc.

Saint Patrick
05-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I agree there are no bad fruits, just keep your diet balanced.

Shark
05-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, you don't want to much fruit in your diet as excess sugar is going to put on weight.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah, you don't want to much fruit in your diet as excess sugar is going to put on weight.
you could say this about anything.

calories from fruit aren't oging to put on extra weight any more than any other calories, and fruit is a healthy food.

ryuage
05-03-2004, 02:33 AM
just eat them... i never met anyone who doesnt like any kinda fruits.

TheGimp
05-03-2004, 02:39 AM
You can check the nutrition of fruit here (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl) (along with a lot of other things).

Strawberries are a pretty good choice as they are not very calorie dense, however they are one of the worst fruits for containing carcinogens if you do not buy organic. Grapes are another good choice due to the antioxidants they contain but again try to buy organic. To be honest, any choice would be good: apples, bananas, berries... find something you actually like.

AzNbIgBoi
05-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Which fruits are the best choices for someone cutting down weight? Can you be more specific?

Bruise Brubaker
05-04-2004, 03:06 PM
"Strawberries are a pretty good choice as they are not very calorie dense, however they are one of the worst fruits for containing carcinogens if you do not buy organic"

I'd like to read more about it. Anyway, would'nt the anti-carcigenic capabalities of the strawberries even out with the carcinogens?

Holto
05-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Which fruits are the best choices for someone cutting down weight? Can you be more specific?

whatever is low in calories and is filling

the link above is really good and you can use this too

www.nutritiondata.com

Spartacus
05-04-2004, 03:35 PM
honestly trying to say one fruit is better than another is splitting hairs. just get a variety of ones you enjoy eatiing. just about any fruit has some nutrients that it has in abundance and one that it has less than other fruits.

TheGimp
05-05-2004, 03:11 AM
"Strawberries are a pretty good choice as they are not very calorie dense, however they are one of the worst fruits for containing carcinogens if you do not buy organic"

I'd like to read more about it. Anyway, would'nt the anti-carcigenic capabalities of the strawberries even out with the carcinogens?

I appreciate it's not necessarily the most credible source but I heard about it from (via my mother) Dr Weil. Here's (http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=3789) a page where he mentions it.

The list of suspect crops changes over time; here are some of the regulars:

Strawberries are always at the top. They are often full of methyl bromide, a fungicide and known carcinogen. I don't eat strawberries unless I know for sure that they've been grown organically.

I tried finding some studies about pesticide content of fruit on PubMed but failed. Here's (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1783584) an abstract which looks promising but I couldn't find the full text?

Assuming it is a concern I think it would be pretty hard to make a decision as to whether they were still worth eating; i.e. whether the health benefits would outweigh the negative effects of the pesticides. That's why I feel the simplest solution is just to buy organic. I don't eat organic for everything - again according to Dr Weil some are worse than others. Anecdotally fruits you peel would seem better as you discard the outer skin. And some things like Broccoli I just don't like to find bugs crawling all over so I don't bother :)

Holto
05-05-2004, 09:57 AM
I eat everything organic and have read dozens of times strawberries are the most poluted crop ever (pesticide,herbicide,fungicide)

TBone4Eva
05-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Watermelon is excellent. It taste great, has a good amount of fiber, and has a lot of..........well, WATER.

aka23
05-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Watermelon is excellent. It taste great, has a good amount of fiber, and has a lot of..........well, WATER.

According to the USDA nutrient database, a 100 calorie serving of watermelon has about 1g of dietary fiber. This is among the the least fiber of all common fruits. For example, 100 calories of a pear has about 8.5g fiber, oranges have about 7.5g, strawberries have about 6g, apples have about 5g. Containing a large amount of water is also not a unique benefit. Apples, oranges, and pears are about 85% water by weight. Strawberries are about 90% water.

TBone4Eva
05-07-2004, 09:39 PM
According to the USDA nutrient database, a 100 calorie serving of watermelon has about 1g of dietary fiber. This is among the the least fiber of all common fruits. For example, 100 calories of a pear has about 8.5g fiber, oranges have about 7.5g, strawberries have about 6g, apples have about 5g. Containing a large amount of water is also not a unique benefit. Apples, oranges, and pears are about 85% water by weight. Strawberries are about 90% water.

Is that with or without the seeds because I usually swallow the seeds.

fen2zla
05-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Is that with or without the seeds because I usually swallow the seeds.

You're going to have watermelons growing inside of you! :)

Just get a few fruits that you like and start eating. No need to over analyse!

meltedtime
05-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Actually, you should stay away from a lot of fruit if you are trying to lose weight. Bananas, grapes and pineapple for example are loaded with simple sugars. All fruit are a source of simple carbohydrates, not the ideal energy source for bodybuilding. Fruit is good for the antioxidants, vitamins and fibre but from a bodybuilding standpoint are unnecessary. If you really want to eat fruit, oranges are probably your best choice. They are lower in sugar, loaded with fibre and packed full of Vitamin C.

HealthTime

TheGimp
05-09-2004, 07:40 AM
All fruit are a source of simple carbohydrates, not the ideal energy source for bodybuilding.

Fruit often gets a bad rep due to its fructose content which preferentially refills liver glycogen rather than muscle. However this is one of the body's primary determining factors in whether it is in an anabolic or catabolic state - hence preventing muscle loss. I am not saying to go overboard - again a varied diet is the key - but fruit should be a part of any diet, a bodybuilder's included. As I mentioned I personally find strawberries to be a good choice - for the "price" of around 120 calories, 400g of strawberries can be quite filling and tasty.

aka23
05-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Bananas, grapes and pineapple for example are loaded with simple sugars. All fruit are a source of simple carbohydrates, not the ideal energy source for bodybuilding. Fruit is good for the antioxidants, vitamins and fibre but from a bodybuilding standpoint are unnecessary. If you really want to eat fruit, oranges are probably your best choice. They are lower in sugar, loaded with fibre and packed full of Vitamin C.

Oranges contain a large portion of the calories from sugar, like most other fruits. The USDA data indicates that approximately 70% of calories in oranges are from sugars. If you are trying to minimize fructose and/or sugar, then bananas would be a good choice, especially the less ripe varieties. Green bananas contain little sugar.. In under-ripe bananas 80-90% of the carbohydrates are starch. As the bananas ripen, the starch changes to free sugars; including sucrose, glucose, and fructose. A 100g green banana has about 16.0g starch, 0.5g fructose, 0.8g glucose, and 1g sucrose. A 100g ripe banana might have 5.0g starch, 4.0g fructose, 6.0g glucose and 6.5g sucrose. An overripe banana might have under 5% starch and more than 95% free sugars (sucrose/glucose/fructose). Note that the glucose/fructose ratio varies between fruits. Banana's tend to have a higher ratio than most fruits, while apples and pears tend to have a lower ratio. Oranges are some where in between.

I agree with TheGimp about fruit and fructose sometimes having an undeserved negative reputation. I think the benefits of reasonable amounts of fruit outweigh the negatives from the sugars. Reasonable amounts of fructose and other sugars can enhance recovery and be beneficial after a workout and at various other times. Note that similar sugars are found in milk, certain vegetables, and other natural products (galactose and fructose both directly refill liver glycogen).

Holto
05-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Actually, you should stay away from a lot of fruit if you are trying to lose weight. Bananas, grapes and pineapple for example are loaded with simple sugars

there is a huge difference between naturally occuring sugar and refined sugar

fruit is excellent for cutting because it is filling and LOW Calorie

there is nothing in the world of complex carbs that is as filling as an apple calorie for calorie

meaning 1 apple = 80 cals

I'm over 200lbs and an apple keeps me full for 2-3hrs

how could I do this with complex carbs ie: brown rice or whole grain pasta ?

80 cals of pasta is like 5 mouthfulls = I'm still hungry

Holto
05-09-2004, 01:09 PM
A 100g green banana has about 16.0g starch, 0.5g fructose, 0.8g glucose, and 1g sucrose. A 100g ripe banana might have 5.0g starch, 4.0g fructose, 6.0g glucose and 6.5g sucrose. An overripe banana might have under 5% starch and more than 95% free sugars

you never cease to amaze me dude...

dropping little gems all day

I just recently started freezing all my fruit

I buy a hand of organic banana's and freeze them now

if I buy the greenest ones I can find the freezing prevents ripening right ?