PDA

View Full Version : Cardio

Pete_Sebastiano
05-04-2004, 06:29 AM
I am currently bulking, and deciding to do cardio, so fat gains can be kept to a minimum...I workout 3 times a week and Im gonna do cardio 3 times a week on non-lifting days in the the morning..

Should I run with an empty stomach or should I consume some food (What type? How Much?) before cardio.. And I know cardio can be very catabolic..So when is da best time/methods to lessen the effect of muscle breakdown during cardio??

Paul Stagg
05-04-2004, 07:07 AM
I would eat something.

Do a search, there have been a number of threads discussing this - they should be helpful, and explain the physiological processes in detail.

Pete_Sebastiano
05-04-2004, 07:47 AM
I've been looking through some previous threads..and I found out that when you do cardio in the morning, your body will breakdown fat to produce energy because glycogen is at its lowest..

I deciding to consume a protein shake (no carb) when I wake up and do 30 minutes of cardio... Do you think this is ideal to minimise muscle breakdown?

Jasonl
05-04-2004, 07:49 AM
I would also consume some carbs before you do cardio, just a small amount will do.

aka23
05-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Should I run with an empty stomach or should I consume some food (What type? How Much?) before cardio.. And I know cardio can be very catabolic..So when is da best time/methods to lessen the effect of muscle breakdown during cardio??

If you want to minimize catabolism, then do not work out in the morning on an empty stomach. Protein usage as fuel is closely tied to low glycogen levels, especially liver glycogen. Working out in the morning on an empty stomach is about the worst possible conditions other than extended fasting, in terms of catabolism. After an overnight fast, your liver glycogen levels may be nearly depleted. Your muscles may have a lot of glycogen left, but your brain cannot cannot use the muscle glycogen, so there is an increased risk of the body catabolizing muscle to get fuel for the brain. The amount of this risk depends on the type of cardio among other things. Higher intensity or longer duration increases risk because there is a greater demand for glycogen. Total fat loss (not just during activity) increases with the intensity or duration of the cardio. After an overnight fast, you are likely to have reduced endurance and more fatigue so both intensity and duration may decrease. If your goal is to lose fat while preserving muscle, then doing cardio on an empty stomach or any other time when glycogen levels are low (for example immediately after weightlifting) is probably a bad idea.

If your goal is to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn fat, then the increased fat mobilization related to the low glycogen levels may be beneficial. Many bodybuilders do empty stomach type cardio in conjuction with various supplements that also increase fat mobilization. If you choose to workout in the morning, then such effects could be lessened by eating something beforehand, reducing intensity, and/or drugs/supplements.

Padawan
05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Your body is coming off an 8 hour fast so you need to eat something to restart your metabolism. Like Jasonl said, a small amount will do it. I usually go with a small container of yogurt.