PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil is bad for you

Maxgain
05-04-2004, 10:06 AM
I always thought oilive oil was a good fat source being a monounsaturated fat but a dietician told us today that this olive oil phase wher people use it a lot in salads and shots of it etc is bad for you as it contains a high amount of trans fat and therefore to take something like rapeseed oil. Any opinions

Saint Patrick
05-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Sounds like BS to me.

geoffgarcia
05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
ask your dietician how they came by this information...

some info on trans fats...

Trans fats are formed by the partial hydrogenation of vegetable oil. This process is used to make vegetable oil more solid.

Trans fats are found in foods made with or cooked in hydrogenated vegetable oil. These include crackers and fried snack foods, such as potato chips. Trans fats are found in baked goods, such as cookies, cakes, and doughnuts. Margarine and hydrogenated vegetable shortening also contain trans fats. Trans fats are found naturally in some meats and dairy products.

Foods containing hydrogenated fat do not go stale as quickly as foods containing unsaturated fat. Foods made with it can stay on supermarket shelves longer. It gives commercially prepared foods a taste and texture similar to regular fat. It is less expensive than butter and more stable than unsaturated fat. Hydrogenated vegetable oil is often chosen for deep-frying. Many restaurants use it.

If the ingredients list includes partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, then the food contains trans fats. Ingredients are listed on all food packages. However, trans fats are not listed on the Nutrition Facts Panel. Since there are no standard methods for measuring trans fats, it's difficult to estimate the trans fatty acid content of food items. The FDA is considering requiring the listing of the amount of trans fat in a food on the label.

Trans fats raise LDL cholesterol levels. LDL is the bad carrier for cholesterol. Trans fats may also lower HDL cholesterol. HDL is the good carrier for cholesterol. Trans fats tend to raise total blood cholesterol levels. However, they don't raise cholesterol as much as saturated fatty acids do. It's not clear if trans fats that occur naturally have the same effect as those produced by hydrogenating vegetable oils.

The relationship between trans fat and cancer risk is not clear. Some research has suggested that trans fats might increase the risk of breast cancer. Other equally good studies have not confirmed this observation. The best thing is to reduce the intake of all solid fats in order to reduce the risk of heart disease and, perhaps, cancer.
http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/1942.html

AllUp
05-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Beast, Post that pic of the smells-like-BS dog. :p

Holto
05-04-2004, 11:24 AM
when cooking it's the poly's that turn trans (400 deg)

olive oil has 1 gram of poly per TSP

using it cold = ZERO trans

Holto
05-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh and rapeseed is called Canola now and is basically Omega 6's

Dedicated
05-04-2004, 11:58 AM
when cooking it's the poly's that turn trans (400 deg)

olive oil has 1 gram of poly per TSP

using it cold = ZERO trans
What cooking oil would you recommend then?

Minotaur
05-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Use the olive oil. How much oil do you use, that you have to worry about it? If you use little oil in cooking (as we should), don't worry about it.

zigak
05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/bsflag.gif
http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/bsmeter.gif

Shark
05-04-2004, 12:36 PM
HAHA!! That was good.

ryuage
05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Im with STOOPIDs :)

MaDmaN2
05-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Olive oil is fine,but remember it is very important to get the extra virgin cold pressed..

Holto
05-04-2004, 01:33 PM
since it's the Poly's that turn to trans when heated you want the oil with the smallest % of Poly's

I believe Olive Oil is the best in this regard

Spartacus
05-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Oh and rapeseed is called Canola now and is basically Omega 6's

no its 61% monofat, 11% w-3, 21% o-6, 7% sat

Holto
05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
what I meant was in terms of benefits

the only EFA present in significant quantity is LA

Beast
05-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Beast, Post that pic of the smells-like-BS dog. :p
;)

Berserker
05-04-2004, 09:03 PM
My feeling on oils, is how much do you really have on the food when frying? Maybe alittle more when mixing with pasta. But not that much. Most is left in the pan or bottom of the bowl. Even deep fryers don't use that much. Even less if you wipe it down.

jimlynch11
05-04-2004, 09:27 PM
My feeling on oils, is how much do you really have on the food when frying? Maybe alittle more when mixing with pasta. But not that much. Most is left in the pan or bottom of the bowl. Even deep fryers don't use that much. Even less if you wipe it down.

Yeah, I'm really anal about measuring it out so I don't really cook with it so much as I pour my flax on foods and then lick the plate clean of it lol. I also read somewhere that cooking with flax causes it to hydrogenate, which is bad.

Shao-LiN
05-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I'm really anal about measuring it out so I don't really cook with it so much as I pour my flax on foods and then lick the plate clean of it lol. I also read somewhere that cooking with flax causes it to hydrogenate, which is bad.

I find it easier just taking a shot of it, so none of this licking action is necessary, hehe.

geoffgarcia
05-04-2004, 11:11 PM
I find it easier just taking a shot of it, so none of this licking action is necessary, hehe.
exactly *LOL*
why the hell would you pour it on your food? its not like it adds a good flavor *LOL* :french:

Maxgain
05-05-2004, 05:57 AM
This is what i thought but when i heard it of a dietician who is responsible for the health regards of a 350,000 population i had to think maybe. I know about the dangers of heating it but she was on about shots and in salads ie straight out of the bottle.
By the way can monounsaturated fats get converted from cis to trans fats or do these just get hydrogenated

Holto
05-05-2004, 09:54 AM
so did this person actually go to school for nutrition ?

jimlynch11
05-05-2004, 09:55 AM
This is what i thought but when i heard it of a dietician who is responsible for the health regards of a 350,000 population i had to think maybe. I know about the dangers of heating it but she was on about shots and in salads ie straight out of the bottle.
By the way can monounsaturated fats get converted from cis to trans fats or do these just get hydrogenated

On this note, I had thought only flax hydrogenated when cooking, does this apply to olive oil as well?

TheGimp
05-05-2004, 09:56 AM
And when you asked to see some studies what did he say? :)

restless
05-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Even though what he said is complete BS, olive oil is not even close to being the optimum choice for a cooking oil.

That would be coconut oil or butter and maybe palm oil.

Tryska
05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
please give me the name of this alleged dietician.

Tryska
05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
On this note, I had thought only flax hydrogenated when cooking, does this apply to olive oil as well?

flax oxidizes. as does any oil if you heat it past it's smoke point.

hydrogenating involves adding a hydrogen atom somewhere along the chain. it's a chemical process, doesn't occur naturally.

Hydrogenation—the forced addition of hydrogen atoms into fatty acids—eliminates some of what chemists call “double bonds.” The elimination of double bonds stiffens fatty acids, in some cases making them turn from liquid into solid when stored at room temperature. In addition, double bonds can be easily damaged by oxygen from the atmosphere, so reducing the number of double bonds increases shelf life. These are the intended reasons for hydrogenating oil—to turn liquids into solids (e.g., to go from liquid vegetable oil to solid margarine), and to increase the shelf life of foods.

the doc
05-05-2004, 03:26 PM
your dietician should be fired

Severed Ties
05-05-2004, 03:38 PM
I second Doc, that dietician is an idiot.

I would get prescriptions for olive oil as Cardiologists are recommending to there patients to supplement there diets with 6 grams of fish oil per day and 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in place of other fats.

ST

Severed Ties
05-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Effect of ingestion of virgin olive oil on human low-density lipoprotein composition.

Gimeno E, Fito M, Lamuela-Raventos RM, Castellote AI, Covas M, Farre M, de La Torre-Boronat MC, Lopez-Sabater MC.

Department de Nutricio i Bromatologia-CeRTA, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.

OBJECTIVE: To measure the incorporation of oleic acid and antioxidants (phenols and vitamin E) to low density lipoprotein (LDL) after acute and short-term ingestion of virgin olive oil. To study whether this incorporation contributes to an increase in LDL resistance to oxidation. SETTING: Department of Food and Nutrition, University of Barcelona, Spain and Department of Lipids and Cardiovascular Epidemiology, IMIM, Barcelona, Spain. SUBJECTS: Sixteen healthy volunteers aged 25-65 y. DESIGN AND INTERVENTIONS: To observe the change in the fatty acid profile, vitamin E, phenolic compounds and LDL oxidation-related variables after the postprandial phase and after daily ingestion of olive oil for one week. RESULTS: Few changes were observed in the postprandial phase. However, after a week of olive oil consumption there was an increase in oleic acid (P=0.015), vitamin E (P=0.047), phenolics (P=0.021) and lag time (P=0.000), and a decrease in the maximum amount of dienes (P=0.045) and oxidation rate (P=0.05). CONCLUSION: After ingestion of virgin olive oil, an increase in antioxidants and oleic acid in LDL was observed as well as an improvement of LDL resistance to oxidation. Our results support the idea that daily ingestion of virgin olive oil could protect LDL from oxidation. SPONSORSHIP: This study was supported by a research grant from Spain (ALI 97-1607-C02-02).

PMID: 11857044 [PubMed]

ST

Maxgain
05-06-2004, 05:32 AM
So it is as suspected. 5 years of training as a dietician and this is what she preaches. I asked for evidence and she said if you look at the nutritional information you will see trans fats listed as she says trans fats are meant to be now listed in Ireland for the past two months though i have not seen them yet and then said mine was from an old batch since it was not listed.
She said if i had any problems to e-mail her so i will and post what she says

ericg
05-06-2004, 06:00 AM
Next time you see your dietician bring a bottle in with you - pop the top off - start to chug the oil - walk out.

Tryska
05-06-2004, 07:23 AM
So it is as suspected. 5 years of training as a dietician and this is what she preaches. I asked for evidence and she said if you look at the nutritional information you will see trans fats listed as she says trans fats are meant to be now listed in Ireland for the past two months though i have not seen them yet and then said mine was from an old batch since it was not listed.
She said if i had any problems to e-mail her so i will and post what she says

ask her to give you a clear definition of transfats. then innocently say that your research clearly stated that {insert exact definition of hydrogentation here}.

Then ask her..who's wrong?

geoffgarcia
05-06-2004, 09:23 AM
that same loss is being going through the legal system here in America too, its only a a matter of time before trans fats will have to be on labels..

PiKappaWRX
05-09-2004, 02:09 PM
so in the end, what is the best oil to cook with? i know that only polyunsaturated fats hydrogenate when heated, so extra virgin olive oil would be best, but what are thoughts on that? i take flax seed oil caps every day, about 9g of it. also what is the difference between extra virgin olive oil and regular olive oil, as the nutrition values all appear to be the same?

AllUp
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Next time you see your dietician bring a bottle in with you - pop the top off - start to chug the oil
Yeah, but after your done- Slam the empty plastic jug on the floor and go "Booya biznatch, I feel GREAT!"
j/k. :p