PDA

View Full Version : Caloric Intake for a 5ft 2inch 250lb woman?

Dedicated
05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
What would be a good intake for this person to start? I told her 1600cals a day because she is so overweight and I figured she would benefit psychologically and physically from shedding some weight quick at the beginning. She is extremely obese, what do you guys think, what's a good intake? She came to me for advice because my cut is going so well and I guess she noticed heh:)
If it was a guy I'd say 2000 but when it comes to women I know they have less muscle and so forth so I'm kind of in the dark on this.

Oh and she won't be lifting weights, just doing cardio and stuff like that when she can.

ryuage
05-05-2004, 09:52 AM
i dont know but definitely more then 1600 cals

Dedicated
05-05-2004, 09:54 AM
i dont know but definitely more then 1600 cals
Hmm. I know severely overweight people can lose fat quickly and sometimes benefit from lower calorie diets. I think ogar is cutting on 1800-2000, but this is a woman, and she is shorter than him. That's kind of how I came up with 1600. Anyone else?

Max-Mex
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Since she is fairly heavy, doing a drastic cut like that would probably not work for a long period of time. If she decides to try something like that, a cheat day or days are a must.

Minotaur
05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Use this site as a place to start... http://www.protraineronline.com/past/july2/nutrient.cfm

It's pretty easy.

I come up with ~2700 calories/day for maintenance. To lose 2lbs/week, she needs to eliminate 1,000 calories/day, so you are not too far off with 1600. This formula suggest 1700. Remember, it's just a place to start.

Tryska
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
i would suggest 2500, provided she's working out.

if not then 2000-2200.

Paul Stagg
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
I would suggest someone that obese consult with a medical professional.

Shao-LiN
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
If I'm not mistaken, ogar is pretty new to the game as well, so I dunno if I'd use him as an example. In any event, overly obese people can shed fat quickly using moderate caloric deficits, it doesn't need to be that extreme.

Beast
05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
I would do 2000 kcals at the most at that weight. The fat will fly off if she does that and walks 3 times per week.

ElPietro
05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Wow, she must be a perfect sphere.

I think the key is to slowly reduce calories. She will have to make changes to her diet that aren't easy to do all at once. So maybe just slowly reducing portion sizes from what they are until she can get to a reasonable level?

I wouldn't even worry about caloric totals, and just worry more about her taking in smaller healthier meals.

I also agree with Paul about consulting a professional, as she should really be getting her heart and blood pressure checked out, and making sure she doesn't do further harm by exercise and drastic diet changes.

big calvin
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
i know this is a old topic but i was searchin and i went to that site .. one thing i changed was it conciders bodyfat levels and the higher you are the lower u multiply from step 1.. well it only says 28%+ and im 44% so i added my own levels from the figure it adds 2% on each .5 down so for me it was .75 which is 40-54%. after doing all the numbers and my actvily level i think its pretty acurate on BMR.. but carb numbers i think is high. id like 2 know wha u guys think.

in order for me 2 lose 2lbs a week i need 4000 calories(400lbs@44%bf 6 foot).... 0.7xbodyweight(400) =280g protein, 15% fat is 66g and the rest from carbs which would b 570g. like i said the calories looks about right for me losing a good amount of weight but not starving but the carbs i wonder about. thanks

IRN-BRU
08-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Edit: This post is from May, how did it go with her diet?

There's no magic number, just go with common sense. Ask her to track her daily calories for a week on FitDay.com without even starting a new diet. This will also her her realise that the cake/sugar/fast food/whatever is the problem.

Take the average (I'm guessing it'll be around 3000), then subtract 500 or so, and try it for 2 weeks while monitoring weight. Adjust as needed to lose a set amount each week (1-3 pounds), and reduce by 100 every week regardless. This steady way of working will help her gain confidence that she can do it, and she has the willpower to make it happen.

If you just pick a 1600 cal diet and she tries it for 1-2 weeks, she'll starve and get cravings and cheat.

In my opinion.

furious
08-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Id just tell her to eat less.

IdaMAN
08-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Wow, ya think? Great advice there.

Vido
08-25-2004, 03:46 PM
furious and idaman:
She's clinically obese. The problem is probably much greater than simply overeating foods. In fact, this may not be the problem at all.

LuvDaPump
08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
With all due respect.

Fat does not burn energy. You can not figure out how many calories she needs to intake or not intake based upon gross weight.

First you must get some sort of reading on lean body mass.

At 5'2" and fairly inactive it's probably somewhere between 120 and 140 lbs. Just a broad guess.

Then figure out what kind of calories are needed to feed the LBM depending on her activity level.

Take out 250-500 cals or so from that.

I would say that 1200-1500 cals is probably about right. Make sure to throw in a slightly higher carb day every 4-7 days. There are so many variations it's difficult to recommend one. Make sure she gets some more protein as most folks, women in particular, don't get hardly any. Increase water intake.

She would really benifit form some sort of resistance training, even just with body weight to build some muscle to help burn the fat. She can most likely build muscle and burn fat at the same time at this point.

Just my 2cents worth. Good luck.

big calvin
08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
one thing i wanted 2 put out is yes fat tissue isnt active only LRB is but im/she is also carriing extra weight in everyday activity.. so if shes 120lbs LBM but has 180lbs of fat she has 2 push around everyday it has 2 add more calories burned right? but how much more calories would she or i need..basicly how many calories would someone obese need.. thanks

TBone4Eva
08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Fat does not burn energy.
This always gets me since it's not true. Adipose tissue does burn energy. The cells have a nucleus and mitochondria and thus perform metabolic processes. Obviously, they are extremely efficent in their usage of energy.

LuvDaPump
08-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I agree that it is confusing that the cells have to burn some sort of energy but I think because fat cells don't really do any work that they don't burn any energy. Neglidgable in comparison to muscle cells anyway. Regardless.. you need to find out what the lbm is and then figure out what activity level is and figure calories from that. Shoot..go on a strict 2k calorie diet for a few weeks with exercise and see what she looses. if it's nothing then reduce it by 200 calories and see what happens. You have to realize that any calorie reduction with any exercise will result in fat loss.