PDA

View Full Version : Organic Poultry

Exnor
05-06-2004, 09:29 AM
I am currently considering purchasing organic chicken, as I have been advised of all the chemicals that are given to the animals, and the way they are treated. Antibiotics and other chemicals are apparently passed to the consumer.

I eat large quantities of chicken, it is my main source of protein, hence my concern.

I do not think my supermarket sells organic frozen chicken, meaning I would have to puchase fresh chicken instead, costing much more.

What are your views on this?

geoffgarcia
05-06-2004, 09:31 AM
if its not the chicken its the milk, the cheese, the beef, the vegetables...you name it, we are constantly exposed to these "chemicals" eliminating one source isn't worth the aggravation, especially if the FDA hasn't given any warnings on it...

its just another marketing ploy to get more money for the same eggs/chicken/beef....

Tryska
05-06-2004, 09:32 AM
all the meat, dairy and poultry i buy is organic. i would prefer free-range and grass-fed too, but that's super difficult to find in stores.

ectx
05-06-2004, 09:37 AM
First off...pet peeve...don't mean to be picky, but you mean "organically grown or raised". Everything that's carbon based is organic.

Second, be careful. It could get really expensive. I don't think it's as big a deal as some would have you think. Poultry isn't as "juiced" up as some other animals. Most antibiotics have a short half life. Chances are they won't be in what you're eating. The concern with using them there is more ecological. It helps create more resistant forms of bacteria in poultry. If you can afford it, and it gives you peace of mind, no harm done.

Tryska
05-06-2004, 09:40 AM
geek.

ectx
05-06-2004, 09:52 AM
geek.

:cool:

that's doctor geek to you young lady.

Tryska
05-06-2004, 09:54 AM
okay then.

doctor geek.

Exnor
05-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Well my main concern would be my health at this point. I eat a lot of chicken, so whatever remains of the chemicals are left in the chicken I'm getting lots of. I am concerned at the possiblity they could cause harm.

I had some colleagues describe how they pump the chickens full of various chemicals to help prevent the unavoidable infection and disease going around, as they extrete feces whilst in their small cages barely able to move, kept in the dark etc.

TheGimp
05-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Eat some quorn instead :)

Dedicated
05-06-2004, 10:17 AM
if its not the chicken its the milk, the cheese, the beef, the vegetables...you name it, we are constantly exposed to these "chemicals" eliminating one source isn't worth the aggravation, especially if the FDA hasn't given any warnings on it...

its just another marketing ploy to get more money for the same eggs/chicken/beef....
I agree.

Tryska
05-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Well my main concern would be my health at this point. I eat a lot of chicken, so whatever remains of the chemicals are left in the chicken I'm getting lots of. I am concerned at the possiblity they could cause harm.

I had some colleagues describe how they pump the chickens full of various chemicals to help prevent the unavoidable infection and disease going around, as they extrete feces whilst in their small cages barely able to move, kept in the dark etc.

yes.

and personally i agree with you and your colleagues.

galileo
05-06-2004, 10:22 AM
ectx pwns hippies.

Exnor
05-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Well, I have experienced no bad effects as of yet (in 1 year), but I am more concerned about the effects of long term consumption.

I will investigate the costs of organic chicken and possibly work out a compromise, perhaps eating organic chicken every other week, alternating with standard chicken.

Dedicated
05-06-2004, 10:54 AM
I have been eating chicken all my life in large quantities, well 3-5 times a week, and I haven't had any weird side effects so far.