PDA

View Full Version : what is a good optimal whey %

wleon
05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
I keep seeing different wheys, some of them say 34% wpc, others 80% and others 90%

which one is a decent % for bodybuilders, I am assumre that the more % is better... how low would you go

wleon

geoffgarcia
05-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm a little confused?

you mean what % in a forumla?
what % in a diet?
what % of the whey is in protein form from filtration (ie WPC vs WPI)

Jasonl
05-06-2004, 12:27 PM
If you're talking about the whey vs. other types of protein found in a serving of a protein mix, then it is really dependant on your needs. Pre and post-workout I use 100% whey, since its the cheapy stuff, any other time I prefer a slower-digesting protein, such as casein or egg.

wleon
05-06-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm a little confused?

you mean what % in a forumla?
what % in a diet?
what % of the whey is in protein form from filtration (ie WPC vs WPI)

yes, I am talking about the percentage of whey protein in the actual powder... I supposed 34% would be too little, and that more the better, but just to keep cost reasonable I thought that maybe there is a happy medium, or maybe no... :)

supirman
05-10-2004, 05:52 PM
concentrate and isolate aren't much different. main difference is that isolate costs more... to get the best whey, go to allthewhey.com . Orange tastes awesome! and their prices are amazing cheap.

Shao-LiN
05-10-2004, 06:40 PM
The only one that would make sene to me is what % of whey is ideal in a protein formula.

deltmaster
05-11-2004, 09:35 AM
I think any concentrate over 80% is generally of good quality, over 90 is better, but them you will pay more $$

wleon
05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I was confused between % of protein in whey, and % of whey in a powder compound. Since my focus is on whey, then my questions should have been,

" What is a decent % protein in whey" ? of course the more the better, but counting the price factor, then a person may compromise, specially if the increase in price is not proportional to the % of proteins.

Meaning ... if, for the sake of numbers 1 pound of 60% whey (protein content) cost $10.00 and 80% cost $20.00 then it seems that it will be more economic to buy the lower percentage whey and just drink more of it.
( I am assuming ( I maybe wrong) here that the higher the protein percentage, the higher it costs to produce)

geoffgarcia
05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
wleon, there is some good info on this post
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=787894&postcount=4
(granted I"m 100% biased in favor of my own posts *LOL*)
but the links should help explain to you some of the different filtration process
and the difference between a concentrate/isolate and when/why to take one vs the other.
Plus the impact of a hydrolyzed protein and when/why a person would want to take those.

wleon
05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Thank you geoffgarcia