PDA

View Full Version : Cutting:Fruit and Veg

Harry
05-06-2004, 01:44 PM
hey, im planning a cutting diet now and I just wondered, where would fruit and veg come in to play. When should I eat them, I read from a WWB source that......

"Simple carbohydrates are digested quickly. Many contain refined sugars and few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include fruits, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molasses, maple syrup, and sugar.

Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Examples include vegetables, breads, cereals, legumes, and pasta. "

when should I eat simple and when should I eat complex carbos, if anyone has got some other good cutting sources I'de really appreciate it.

Harry
05-06-2004, 02:00 PM
how much uintake shud i have whilst cutting per day?

im 17, 5'11 and 178 lbs

if someone cud break down what types of foods i shud have when ide really appreciate that, sorry to ask for spoonfeddign i just need help

geoffgarcia
05-06-2004, 02:02 PM
these are good article on carb importance and where to get them from...
The fiber file: seven facts about one of bodybuilding's most important nutrients (http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_7_21/ai_107422306)

Significance Of Carbohydrate In Our Daily Diet (http://www.bawarchi.com/health/carbohydrate.html)

here is a more general diet for a bodybuilder article (its great btw!)
12 Week Guide to becoming Lean " Diet " (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/fatlossdiet.htm)
Nutrition & Supplementation (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/howtoanalysizeyourself2.htm)

The important thing to understand about carbs is that they have a " protein sparring " effect. Which means when your body has enough carbs to fuel itself, it will be able to more fully utilize amino acids for the maintenance, repair and growth of muscle tissues. This is why carbs are so vital to a bodybuilder who is trying to gain mass. In edition, eating too few carbohydrates can leave your muscles feeling and looking flat. Muscle fullness depends, to a large extent, on the glycogen stores within them. Likewise, your vascularity also depends on your carbohydrate intake. A prime example of this can perhaps be traced to your last cutting or dieting cycle. When dieting your veins disappear between meals and appear after meals. Top bodybuilders note that ingesting some simple sugars before a competition brings out their vascularity.

Carbohydrates are also chiefly responsible for inducing the release of our bodies most anabolic hormone, Insulin! As I have stated many times before, insulin literally shuttles amino acids and other vital nutrients into our muscles for growth. However, insulin is also the chief hormone responsible for fat storage. My suggestion is to stay as clean as possible with your carbohydrate intake. Eat clean starchy carbs such as sweet potatoes and oatmeal. Also eat fibrous green carbs such as lettuce, spinach and any other green veggy. Stay far away from anything that is bleached or processed such as white bread, candy, white rice and other carbs along those lines. Cleaner, fibrous carbs digest slowly and do not induce an overproduction of insulin. Hence you get a steady even stream of this hormone, reaping the anabolic effects of it, while suppressing the fat storing side of it. Remember processed foods usually always induce an overproduction of insulin.

Holto
05-06-2004, 09:52 PM
if you can base 1 entire meal on veggies it's incredibly easy to manage calories for the day

ie:

4 cup salad + protein shake = 4 hrs fullness

you could also try to base a meal on fruit as well

I like to do 3-4 servings of frozen fruit and a scoop of vanilla whey in the blender

of course eating some meat with either of the above would make it even more filling

Shark
05-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Check out my journal and take a look at my cutting diet.

Harry
05-09-2004, 12:16 PM
thanks for those links, ill chek em out, but i also wud need advice on protein shakes and actually i wud rather sort out a normal diet before needing to sort out shakes etc

Saint Patrick
05-09-2004, 12:37 PM
My own personal opinion:

Eat all the veggies you want, limit fruit to once per day.

Vido
05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
when should I eat simple and when should I eat complex carbos, if anyone has got some other good cutting sources I'de really appreciate it.

IMO you don't ever need to eat simple carbs.

Center the complex carbs around your workouts.

aka23
05-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I read from a WWB source that......
"Simple carbohydrates are digested quickly. Many contain refined sugars and few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include fruits, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molasses, maple syrup, and sugar.

Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Examples include vegetables, breads, cereals, legumes, and pasta. ".

That quote also appears at http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/hltheat/qas/0,,165826_11385,00.html . It is not very accurate. It is misleading to put fruits or dairy products in the same category as refined sugars. Milk contains simple carbs, but it usually derives the majority of its calories from other sources. Fruits often contain high levels of fiber and vitamins/minerals. Fruits usually contain significantly more overall nutrients per calorie than grains, cereals, or pasta. Some complex carbs elevate blood sugar and insulin just as quickly as simple carbs, making them more likely lead to increased appetite + overeating.

It is oversimplifying things to think complex = good and simple = bad. I think that one should avoid products which contain significant amounts of unnatural added sugars, but reasonable amounts of products that contain natural sugars may be beneficial. I think one should generally avoid products which contain unnatural refined carbs, even if they are complex carbs.

chris mason
05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
I agree with Aka.

Fruits are fine to consume on a reduced calorie diet.

Deathwish
05-23-2004, 01:48 PM
The only time you would ever want simple carbs is directly before and after a workout. Otherwise just eat complex carbs to keep you more full and to prevent insulin levels from spiking too high.