PDA

View Full Version : When figuring calories...

JSully
05-06-2004, 06:49 PM
...do you normally add in the condiments? I normally go about 100 calories below what I want to.. so I dont hafta actually COUNT what I put on my sandwich. For instance, I'll put 2 slices of american cheese and some ketchup on my tuna salad sandwich. I'll put salsa on my omelette, cheese in my eggs (lowfat of course)... so should I really count those extra calories: protein/carb/fat or just do like I'm doing now and just estimate and adjust accordingly?

geoffgarcia
05-06-2004, 06:52 PM
personally I just skip the condiments/sauces/oils/spices etc...
but you should def. count things like salsa n cheese...

Jasonl
05-06-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm sure you're ok going down 100 on the cals to accomidate.

daddyzombie
05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Most of what you use is nothing to worry about, but watch out for the ketchup, lots of sugar in that stuff.Not sure what the cals are though dont use it much anymore myself.

Holto
05-06-2004, 09:54 PM
don't underestimate the cheese

usually measuring it out even ounce will give you an idea for future reference

Dedicated
05-06-2004, 10:01 PM
I always count the condiments. BTW for reference 2 Slices of american cheese, the kind I have, is 140 calories.

PiKappaWRX
05-09-2004, 02:02 PM
forget about salsa, there's barely anything in it. but ketchup, mayo/mustard and all that stuff, especially cheese. cheese is calorie dense and mayo and mustard have a lot of fat in them, and at 9 cal/g i'd think it'd be worth counting them. ketchup is also high in sugar so count it. i just guess how much i put on though, i don't meausre it out exactly. like i'll squirt some ketchup on a sandwhich or burger and guess its like 2 or 3 Tbsp's. Cheese, on the other hand, i will always measure out exactly.

ryuage
05-09-2004, 02:34 PM
forget about salsa, there's barely anything in it. but ketchup, mayo/mustard and all that stuff, especially cheese. cheese is calorie dense and mayo and mustard have a lot of fat in them, and at 9 cal/g i'd think it'd be worth counting them. ketchup is also high in sugar so count it. i just guess how much i put on though, i don't meausre it out exactly. like i'll squirt some ketchup on a sandwhich or burger and guess its like 2 or 3 Tbsp's. Cheese, on the other hand, i will always measure out exactly.

since when did mustard have a lot of fat in it... its a calorie free condiment!

PiKappaWRX
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
oops, thanks for the fix ryu, i just meant the mayo. mustard is essentially harmless, i just can't stand the taste of it.

CraigVA286
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I dont follow my diet too strictly anymore...I just try and eat whatever I can throughout the day and make sure I get 3 protein shakes w milk/creatine/multi vitamin/a lot of water

I believe ketchup has 35 cals per tablespoon so it could add up