PDA

View Full Version : rest time between sets

jazer80
05-08-2004, 07:15 PM
i've been told a while back that you don't want to wait more than 2 minutes between sets because your atp will be fully replenished (for the most part), and you want to start your next set before that. does it really matter how long you wait between sets? now i'm doing like 3 minutes, and it is definitely helping me keep strength through my workouts

Shark
05-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Longer rest is better for musle growth and less is better for heart rate (or so my pt told me). I think in general a minute or so is good so that you get the benefit of your additional sets and reps.

KingJustin
05-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I think it's more to do with what your goals are. When training for strength you usually want longer rests so that you can continue to push more weight. If you want some kind of hypertrophy through fatigure then rests can be shorter so as to keep the volume lower for exercises and have more time to get more done without spending too long in the gym.

body
05-09-2004, 04:28 AM
as in powerlifting forum.

I would wait longer than 2 minutes especially when lifting very heavy for low reps on exercise like squats and dead that use up so much energy.

You want your ATP to be fully recovered as possible.

People often wait 3-5 minutes
SOme people wait a lot longer.

If you find a old post invloving chris mason, he mentioned that a old time powerlifter used to do a lift like every 2 hours. and do like 6 sets a day.
OR some thing like that. But this is not practical for most people.

chris mason
05-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Yes, Paul Anderson took very long rests between sets as a rule.

Rest is a truly individual thing. All of the points made in this thread have some truth to them. The bottome line is if you are progressing in a manner acceptable to you, then you should continue to train as you do.

phreak
05-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I've varied between 30 seconds and 15 minutes. Personally I found that long rest = better recovery, but also (because of higher loading) a greater strain on the cNS. So I can't take extended periods of long rest times. On average I now rest 1.5-3 minutes.

ogarchamplin
05-09-2004, 04:39 PM
I have been instructed to only wait 30 seconds between sets. Now i am going to have to question the Nutionlist/Trainer

briancurran01
05-09-2004, 07:31 PM
i personally dont rest much at all probably between 15 30 seconds. Once I start going i just kep going.

most of my workouts only take like 30 minutes.and i do between 3 and 5 sets on all exercises

biggimp
05-09-2004, 08:36 PM
i take 5-7 mins between sets of squat and deadlift, 3 minutes on bench, incline, and hang clean, and 1-2 minutes on all supplementary lifts.

ElPietro
05-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Somewhere in the range of 30s - 5 mins.

Anthony
05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
When doing 1-3 reps I usually rest 3-10 minutes, sometimes more if I'm going for a personal record.

McFerret85
05-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Rest time depends on your goals.

If you want to burn more fat, improve endurance, improve strength-endurance, or stimulate lactic acid production (which is good for tendons, joints, and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) you want to use short rest times.

If you want full strength recovery (which is good if you're lifting close to your max in a given rep range to increase strength or to induce sarcomere hypertrophy), you probably want to wait 3 minutes or a bit more.

http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/physiology/muscle2.html

body
05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
i personally dont rest much at all probably between 15 30 seconds. Once I start going i just kep going.

most of my workouts only take like 30 minutes.and i do between 3 and 5 sets on all exercises
are you trianing with strenght/power lifitng goals with that short rest peroid?

Seanzilla
05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
In regards to my warm up sets, I rest 1-2 minutes.

For my working sets, I rest 1-2 minutes between sets on speed training days and 5-10 minutes between sets on my heavy weight training days (which are 75% or more of my training days.)

When training squats, deadlifts and 1-3 rep (heavy) sets on the benchpress it's a good idea to take at least ten minutes rest between sets so that you can attack the iron with as full a tank of gas as possible.

-Seanzilla

SW
05-14-2004, 07:59 PM
my current cycle says that i lift very heavy, as in warmup of 5 reps on bench, then two or more sets of three of about 80-90%. i always try to get 2 or 3 minutes rest for best power when attacking heavy iron like that