PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Build Strength and Improve Speed for Football

USC Ed
05-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Before I tell you about my current workouts, I think it's best if I direct you to a thread I started yesterday. Here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=47281) If you can give me any help please post it either here or in the thread and I will be very grateful.

At the moment I need to reduce my body fat while also getting stronger and quicker for football. I play weakside linebacker if that helps. I am currently around 6"2-6"3 and between 210 and 215 lbs depending on the scales. My body is very muscular and solid apart from my stomach, which has too much fat and my arms, which are too long and thin. I really need to build my arms up and turn the fat on my stomach into muscle.

My current bench is around 275lbs - 300lbs depending on how I feel.
My max squat is 650lbs
I cannot do deadlifts at the moment because I am at a small gym. In a few weeks i'll be back at home and will be in a state of the arm gym with all the top equipment so I can do any type of workout.

Here's a typical workout:

Standing dumbell curl:

8 X 65 lbs (3 sets)
6 X 80 lbs (3 sets)
5 X 90 lbs (2 sets)
3 X 100 lbs (2 sets)
2 X 110 lbs (2 sets)

Shoulder Shrugs:

10 X 110 lbs (3 sets)

Bench Press:

Grudually increasing the weight after each set.

10 X 150 lbs
8 X 175 lbs
6 X 200 lbs
5 X 225 lbs
3 X 250 lbs
2 X 275 lbs
1 X 300 lbs

Squats:

220 lbs X 10 (warm up)
300 lbs X 8
375 lbs X 8
450 lbs X 7
500 lbs X 5
550 lbs X 4
600 lbs X 2/3
625 lbs X 2/3
650 lbs X 1/2

Rowing Machine:

Around 3-4 miles on the toughest setting

Peck Deck:

130 lbs X 8 (2 sets)
155 lbs X 6 (1 set)
175 lbs X 5 (1 set)
200 lbs X 3 (1 set)
225 lbs X 1 (1 set)

My current gym sucks, but i'll be changing to a good one in 3/4 weeks. My Sister works there so I get free membership lol. I am looking for a new workout plan I can do in groups of muscles. At the moment I go once every other day and work all muscles and then rest them for a day.

I'll post some pictures in 3-4 weeks once I get back home.

Chubrock
05-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Jesus man, 650lb squat. I'd love to see some pics of that.

USC Ed
05-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Someone else wanted to see that too. I'll put it on here in 3-4 weeks when I get home for the summer.

USC Ed
05-10-2004, 11:06 AM
05/10

Today I had an arm day. I have an exam on Wednesday so I thought it's best to do legs tomorrow rather than arms which would kill me hand when writing. I did a total of twelve sets of dumb bell curls ranging from 80lbs to 110lbs. I also worked on my bench but because I went with a mate who is weaker than me I worked on weights he could do as well, which was probrably a mistake. I get seven sets ranging from around 170lbs to 240lbs. I also worked on the incline bench from around 150lbs to 220lbs. I Also worked the peck deck doing four sets of 200lbs. I did shoulder shrugs too. I feel sore, which is good.

Today I had a chocolate protein shake for breakfast with four slices of brown toast with spaghetti on it. For lunch I had a protein shake and a bowl of soup. For dinner I am doing to have some chicken and veg. For my late night snack i'll most likely have a tin of tuna or salmon. Another option would be a yoghurt.

SalahG
05-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Damn I wish I had your squat, good luck dude, just remember to put in enough Hang Cleans and Snatches, find someone that knows how to do them though to teach you, those exercises are very good, they'll make your hips more powerful and teach you how to lay the wood. :)

USC Ed
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Damn I wish I had your squat, good luck dude, just remember to put in enough Hang Cleans and Snatches, find someone that knows how to do them though to teach you, those exercises are very good, they'll make your hips more powerful and teach you how to lay the wood. :)

I'll be doing more of that in a couple of weeks. At the moment i'm suck with a crappy gym so what I can do is limited. I'll be at my parents' house in the summer and my Sister who lives with them works at one of these $500 a year gyms with all the top new equipment so i'll be in there and will make a new routine for it. At the moment I am just doing what I can. I agree that my hips need more work.

USC Ed
05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
05/11

Today for breakfast I had four slices of brown toast with four scrambled eggs. I also had a small tin of pineapple. I have also had a snack of a raspberry yoghurt. For dinner I am going to have chili with rice. I will probrably have a tin of tuna for a snack tonight too.

For my workout I did a lot of cardio today. I ran 5 miles including a 200m sprint after every 1,000m I ran. I did this on a treadmill. I also used the cross country skiing machine for 15 minutes. As well as this I had a tricep day. I did some chin ups, dips and some dumbell exercises. I didn't want to overdo it because I have an exam tomorrow morning and need to write loads.