PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lifting Routine?

Ford Prefect
05-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Just seemed kind of slow here and not many threads about Oly lifting. There really aren't many resources out there, so I was wondering how you guys structure your oly lifting workouts. When I'm oly lifting I break mine up like:

Monday - Snatch Day
Snatch Variations (off blocks, power snatch, hang snatch, etc)
Snatch assistance (drop snatch, snatch high pulls, overhead shrugs, etc)

Tuesday - Jerk Day
Jerk Variations (split jerk, push jerk)
Jerk Assistance (jump squat, shoulder presses, 1/4 front squat, etc)

Thursday - Clean Day
Clean Variations
Clean Assistance (clean high pulls, front squats, etc)

Friday - Remedial Day
Regular Benching and Back Squats
Typical BB training

Anybody else?

ElPietro
05-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Ford do you compete in oly lifts? Or just do it for fun? I guess it would be interesting to periodized an oly program, into a larger scope program, but usually I don't often see this translate into additional power in the other lifts. Sometimes I'll incorporate hang cleans into my routine but other than that haven't given it a try.

Just trying to figure out the "why" behind a full blown oly program, if you don't oly lift.

Of course, for me, every day is jerk day, as I'm a big meany. :evillaugh

Ford Prefect
05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Naw. I just do it for fun every once in a while. I'll take a month here and there and focus on them just to mix things up. It's great for really nailing my posterior chain (no jokes you sick bastard), legs, and traps. I still incorporate their variations, as well as stuff like high pulls, overhead squats and the like into my normal routines though.

BTW, get yourself a girl. All your jerk days will be snatch days instead. ;)

ElPietro
05-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Pfft! I'm going to see my pet cougar tonight so ha!

SalahG
05-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Try this...

Monday- Heavy Snatch, Heavy Clean, Heavy Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, your last sat being you 5 rep max

Wednesday- Light Snatch, Light Clean, Light Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, all sets being 60% of you 5 rep max

Friday- Medium Snatch, Medium Clean, Medium Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, all sets being 80% of your 5 rep max

You follow this for 4 weeks than follow the same format except for 5 sets of 3 reps for 4 weeks, than after that you do the same thing except 5 sets of 2 reps but for only 3 weeks, than you max out and start over again.

chris mason
05-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Check out the journal of a member named "Blitzforce". He incorporates a great deal of Olympic work into his routine.

Ford Prefect
05-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Salah. Good stuff, Chris. Those online journals seem like a good resource. I'm starting one up now. I'll take a couple pics too. Check out my home gym. The only thing not seen is some 20kg and 10kg bumper plates.

chris mason
05-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Very nice. Bumper plates are definitely a plus for the Olympic stuff.