PDA

View Full Version : can soy make you aggressive?

ogarchamplin
05-11-2004, 11:12 PM
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/deanfulltexttopics.cfm?ID=60845&storytype=DeanTopics

Can Soy Make Men Agressive

May 04, 2004
From our sponsors:

Dr. Dean's Comments: This should be construed as a warning against concentrated soy pills not eating soy products like tofu, etc. It just tells you that soy isoflavones can have some good and some bad effects and it's just too early to give general recommendations.

In Male Monkeys, Too Much Soy Has Adverse Effects

While soy may be beneficial to women in a variety of ways, research in monkeys suggests that it could have an adverse effect on the behavior of men, according to researchers from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.

Reporting in the current issue of the scientific journal Hormones and Behavior, the researchers found that in male monkeys, “long-term consumption of a diet rich in soy isoflavones can have marked influences on patterns of aggression and social behavior.” Isoflavones are a naturally occurring plant estrogen in soy protein.

“Although considerable attention has been directed at the potentially beneficial effects of isoflavones in reducing the risk of various cancers, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease and postmenopausal symptoms, less effort has been invested in characterizing neurobehavioral effects,” according to the study.

People have the concept that soy is only beneficial, said Jay R. Kaplan, Ph.D., professor of comparative medicine and anthropology, one of the investigators. “There is the thought that what is good for some is good for all and more is better.”

But this research points out that not only does the dose make a difference, but so does the sex of the consumer, Kaplan said, adding that the study is consistent with emerging literature showing that soy can have a negative impact on the behavior of male rodents. Previous studies have shown no difference in aggression in females given large doses of soy, Kaplan said.

The study was done over 15 months with adult male monkeys who were divided into three groups and fed different amounts and types of protein. One group had about 125 mg of isoflavones a day. The second group had half that amount, and the third group’s protein came from milk and animal sources.

“In the monkeys fed the higher amounts of isoflavones, frequencies of intense aggressive and submissive behavior were elevated,” according to the study. “In addition, the proportion of time spent by these monkeys in physical contact with other monkeys was reduced by 68 percent, time spent in proximity to other monkeys was reduced 50 percent and time spent alone was increased 30 percent.”

Isoflavone levels of 125 mg per day are higher than amounts consumed by many Asians, who typically eat more soy than other populations. But, the isoflavone levels are comparable to levels found in many dietary supplements sold in the United States.

The FDA approved a statement in 1999 that said, “25 grams of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.” Soy sales have grown from $940 million in 1990 to a projected $4 billion this year. Kaplan said that soy is the most widely used botanical by pre- and postmenopausal women.

“To the best of our knowledge, the present study may be the first to demonstrate that long-term consumption of isoflavones can alter patterns of agonistic and social behavior in primates,” the researchers reported. “The present findings suggest that careful attention will be required to balance beneficial and potentially adverse effects.”

-sin-
05-12-2004, 02:38 AM
I can relate to those monkeys. I would be pissed off all of the time too if someone force fed me soy everyday. That stuff is nasty.

prof
05-12-2004, 11:08 AM
due to the high level of female hormone like stuff in soy it's not a great idea to eat it if you are male

EdgarMex
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
I can relate to those monkeys. I would be pissed off all of the time too if someone force fed me soy everyday. That stuff is nasty.

:withstupi

LOL

ogarchamplin
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
due to the high level of female hormone like stuff in soy it's not a great idea to eat it if you are male

Thats so true..i have a low testosterone level of 153 and my nutrionlist will not let my eat any soy products at all because of that

ectx
05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
One would think that the alleged effects of soy on estrogen production would result in exactly the opposite effect.

ogarchamplin
05-12-2004, 04:53 PM
One would think that the alleged effects of soy on estrogen production would result in exactly the opposite effect.

You would think but things are odd i this world...like why do kids with ADD take Ritilan which is a stimulant?

JTyrell710
05-12-2004, 05:23 PM
because it stimulates them into concentrating and learning.. if they took too much i guess it'd be bad

Beast
05-12-2004, 06:29 PM
This is a common myth. Soy does NOT have high levels of "female hormone like stuff."

ogarchamplin
05-12-2004, 07:53 PM
This is a common myth. Soy does NOT have high levels of "female hormone like stuff."

http://www.roex.com/Articles/dangerofsoylinks.htm

prof
05-13-2004, 08:26 AM

who told you that? the soy marketing board

sorry if my information is no good, i had read this
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/302poison.jsp

and believed. Beast do you have some evidence to the contrary