PDA

View Full Version : Spirulina????

szav
05-13-2004, 08:11 PM
A friend of mine asked me if I have ever Taken Spirulina, but I have never heard of it. I searched on google and this is what I found:

Green Healthy Superfood for 21 Century

Spirulina is one of the blue-green algaes(single celled plants),it is name for its spiral shape. Algaes are incredibly old life forms, 3.6 billion years ago, blue-green algae-earth's first photosynthetic life form create our oxygen atmosphere so all higher life could evolve. It can thrive in alkaline lakes such as Lake Chad in Africa and lake Texcoco. The Chenghai Lake of Yongsheng county in Yunnan, China is the third lake that grows natural spirulina in the world. Our solar harvest spirulina is produced in Chenghai lake of Yongsheng county.

Nutritional Value

Spirulina as food can provide vitamins, essential acids, carbohydrates and enzymes. A highly digestible food, spirulina is at leat 60% vegetable protein which is predigested by the algae. It is higher than any ordinary food such as beef, chicken, turkey eggs, soybeans, rice, or wheat. Its outstanding nutritional profile also includes the essential 17 amino acids, contains all eight essential amino acids. Spirulina is the world's highest known vegetable source of B-12 with high concentrations of vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-6, D, E and phytochemicals, such as carotenoids, chlorophyll (blood purifier), and phycocyanian (a blue pgment), which is a protein that is known to inhibit cancer. The carotenoids and chlorophyll may also contribute to Spirulina's anticancer effects.

The highest quality protein available.
Higher in protein value than beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, soybeans, rice,tofu or wheat.
60% protein which is 95% digestible compared to 20% form meat protein.
25 times higher in beta-carotene than carrots.
28 times higher in iron than beef liver, and 56 times higher than spinach or steak,
the highest whole food source of B-12, which is important for vegetarians.
Rich in glycogen which is rarely found in plants, Glycogen is stored in the liver for quick energy.
Richer in chlorophyll than alfalfa and wheat.

Anti-radiation, enhancing immune system.
Helping children from suffering Malnutrition.
Purify blood fat against Cardiovascular disease.
Increasing the growth of friendly bacteria in intestines.
Enough energy helping with the challenges of life.
Making one's skin tender.

100 Gram Break Down

General contains

Vegetable protein 55-70mg

Roughage 2-4mg

Carbohydrate 15-20mg

Fat 6-9mg

Micro-Minerals

Calcium 100-400mg

Magnesium 200-300mg

Zinc 200-300mg

Iron 50-100mg

Potassium 1000-2000mg

Inosite 40-100mg

Iodine 10-20mg

Phosphous 800mg

Copper 1000mg

Vitamins

VA 100-200mg

VB1 1. 5-4. 0mg

VB2 3-5mg

VB6 0. 5-0. 7mg

VB12 0. 05-0. 2mg

VPP 305mg

VE 5-20mg

Natural values

Glycogen 3000mg

Carotenoid 250-500mg

Chlorophyll 800-2000mg

Carotenoid B 200-300mg

Y-Gama Linolenic acid 800-1300mg

Phycocyanin 7000-8500mg

My question is has anyone on this board tried Spirulina? Just curious, because I had never heard of this and thought it was interesting.

Augury
05-14-2004, 03:56 AM
Havent heard of it nope. But one thing was odd...

the nutritional breakdown claimed it had 55-70mg of protein per 100g.

Thats really terrible. Thats not even 1g per 100g. How can they claim its better than chicken?

Was the mg a typo on your part or are they hoping people dont know what a miligram is?

Augs

Holto
05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I take it

it's in those Green Drinks...basically a fruit and veggie supp

the whole purpose is to get valuable phytonutrients like the 600 different carotenoids and chlorophyl (sp)

they are filling and very low cal...great for cutting

I eat a ton of veggies but I don't eat: Spirulina, Barley Grass, Nova Scotia Dulse etc...

so I supp with it

Budiak
05-16-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm not eating pond scum.

ryuage
05-16-2004, 12:14 PM
I dont remember exactly what it is except its an algae of some sort and is supposed to be considered a "health" product.

Holto
05-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not eating pond scum.

actually it's oceanic scum LOL

TheGimp
05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm guessing those mg on the macros are supposed to be g in which case it looks pretty attractive.

If I'm not mistaken algae is also a good source of DHA. The fact that fish are a good source of EPA/DHA is because they eat algae. Does this apply to spirulina?

Holto
05-17-2004, 08:11 PM
I just talked to a lady the other day who is cutting and mixes the flakes right into smoothies and she swears it helps with her appetite

sounds expensive though a big jar is $80

Fever
06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
80$ a jar... wow, make a trip to the pet food store, it think that stuff sells in the fish food isle

jimmyD
06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
think we bought a pill form for less than $10 a bottle. We read alot on it and liked the nutrients it adds to one who is kinda not eating enough but losing weight fast. i cant say it has helped me with my appitie. if i could find somin to curb mine i would never eat bad sh*t again. I have 2 young kids and there is always "bad" food here! I really screwed my diet this weekend (so much i want to horse whip my arse!) . but where veggies have been cut from diet (mostly) i seen where this was atleast a help!