PDA

View Full Version : Which steak to order?

beachmuscles
05-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Right now im on a clean bulk...Lets say im at a steakhouse restaurant, whats the best kind of steak to order that they usually have on the menu?

HahnB
05-13-2004, 10:55 PM
A filet is the best cut of meat you can get-no fat, no bone. A porter house is a personal favorite and is usually the largest, but will have some fat and a bone.

large_lifter
05-13-2004, 11:31 PM
I would go for a 10-12 Ounce sirloin or 14 ounce new york strip. They are usually pretty lean, tasty steaks. Plus are usually cheaper than porterhouse, t-bone, filet.

TBone4Eva
05-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Mmmm T-Bone steak. My personal favorite :).

Ebu
05-14-2004, 07:31 AM
http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/nutrition/beef.pdf

That's nutrition facts for most of the red meat available in a grocery store. The info might change depending on how they prepare it and the use of marinades.

I personally get sirloin, or sirloin steak tips.

ryuage
05-14-2004, 12:20 PM
sirloin

Severed Ties
05-14-2004, 01:18 PM
sirloin, flank, and top round are the leanest cuts I believe.

Filet is a personal Fav.

ST

Relentless
05-14-2004, 01:25 PM
flank steak isn't usually on the menu at steak joints though

it's one of the cheapest cuts, IIRC

manowar669
05-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Flank steaks are getting pricey. They used to be a well-kept secret. Lean, thin (easy to work with, or stuff, quick to prepare, etc.), they were once considered "garbage" cuts. (Remember when chicken wings were dirt cheap?, since the Buffalo wing revolution, they can be $$$).
As for ordering, 10-14 oz of red meat, though delightful, is overkill all at one time. You'd be better off splitting that much meat into 3 portions and spreading it out over 3 meals, maybe on different days. Obviously if on a TKD or CKD, you need the xtra fat and protein for energy. Personally I get a petite filet (4oz), and then a baked sweet potato and the salad bar, if applicable (Hoss's, Western Sizzlin, etc.). Load up on spinach with vinegar and sunflower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Damn i'm hungry, and I just ate like 10 minutes ago.

beachmuscles
05-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Thankz you guys are great ;-)

HahnB
05-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Flank steaks are getting pricey. They used to be a well-kept secret. Lean, thin (easy to work with, or stuff, quick to prepare, etc.), they were once considered "garbage" cuts. (Remember when chicken wings were dirt cheap?, since the Buffalo wing revolution, they can be $$$).
As for ordering, 10-14 oz of red meat, though delightful, is overkill all at one time. You'd be better off splitting that much meat into 3 portions and spreading it out over 3 meals, maybe on different days. Obviously if on a TKD or CKD, you need the xtra fat and protein for energy. Personally I get a petite filet (4oz), and then a baked sweet potato and the salad bar, if applicable (Hoss's, Western Sizzlin, etc.). Load up on spinach with vinegar and sunflower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Damn i'm hungry, and I just ate like 10 minutes ago.

A 4oz filet? 10oz filet, now you're talkin.

EdgarMex
05-14-2004, 06:17 PM
A 4oz filet? 10oz filet, now you're talkin.

:withstupi

Yeah, 4oz would only leave me craving for more

manowar669
05-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Like I said, it's great to chow down on a large properly cooked steak, and as a treat, that's fine. To eat smart though, you do not need 65-80g of protein in one sitting, and that's just from the steak alone (maybe if that's your whole meal). You are gonna be eating again in 2-3 hours anyway, you won't need all that. Better to get 20-30g protein from a smaller portion, and maybe dump in another 15-20g from mixed sources with the meal (maybe take half the steak home). I try not to eat that much red meat in one day, just to keep my daily percentages of sat fat down.
Yes, I do like to gorge myself occasionally on a large meal, but not as a regular thing.

Beast
05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
New York Strip is really good for you, as well.

Max-Mex
05-15-2004, 06:48 AM
flank steak isn't usually on the menu at steak joints though

it's one of the cheapest cuts, IIRC

Flank=fajitas

fajitas=da bomb

Budiak
05-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Most steakhouses cover the steak in butter while cooking it. That 'juicy' taste of the meat? Not juice. Butter.

Delicious.

I'd order top serloin.

supirman
05-17-2004, 09:04 PM
get the 32 oz steak that comes with a free t-shirt if you can eat the entire meal. You're bulking, so get the biggest one. of course, maybe that's why I'm fat ;)