PDA

View Full Version : calorie taper

KeMiKaL
05-15-2004, 11:38 AM
"3.) Calorie content of your meals should be heaviest in the morning and taper down throughout the day. " -at large article

How much of a taper should there be? I was planning on about 100 cals less each meal.

Say I need about 670 cals/meal to reach 4000 cals. Meal 1: 970, Meal 2: 870, Meal 3: 770, Meal 4: 670, Meal 5: 570, Meal 6: 470. (Dinner is in between meal 5 and 6, unfortunately i have no way of controlling it other than the amount I eat ;))

Is this ok?

Vido
05-15-2004, 01:01 PM
First off, there is no NEED to taper. Meals of the same size are just fine. I think the point of mentioning that is so that one doesn't consume one's largest meal right before bed, which really would make no sense to do.

The reason breakfast would be the largest/one of the largest meals of the day is because you are coming off of an overnight fast and need to get your metabolism going again for the day.

As opposed to a taper, I would suggest eating the bulk of your calories at breakfast, and pre and post-workout...the times when your body needs them the most.