PDA

View Full Version : need to get big in around 2 months! help please?

noobie
05-16-2004, 10:08 AM
heres the dealio. Im 17, 6'1 and 200 pounds. ive been dieting and working out lightly to get to 200 from 210. Although its not as good a diet as ive read some of you guys are one, but basically, ive cut out all soda, fried stuff, and ive been cutting some carbs, as well as just fat in general. I also do a full body work out once a week. Im sure this sounds really stupid to you experts, but I just need some help

thanks a lot!

ryuage
05-16-2004, 10:40 AM
post your diet and your training.

noobie
05-16-2004, 10:44 AM
not much of a diet, im just cutting out fat, soda, fried stuff, pizza and so on.

for workout, I do
leg press
leg extenstions
leg curls
chest press
lat pulldown
shoulderpress
row
tricep pushdown
cable bicep curl
and then around 200 cruncher during the day, split up into 50 at a time.

a big part of what I want is just good abs and pecs. thats really my first priority, then the rest of my bod

Allyrulez
05-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Ive read you dont need to do so many crunches, as thats just muscle fatigue which only builds up type 2 fibres, which isnt much of the muscle

So perhaps treat them like any other muscle, do 4 heavy sets of ~10 reps, like weighted leg extensions/weighted crunches/kneeling cable crunches

As far as ive read anyhow....

noobie
05-16-2004, 01:01 PM
cool. thx. what about diet? what should I start eating and cut back on to speed up muscle building/weight loss?

geoffgarcia
05-16-2004, 01:13 PM
noob, diet isn't so much WHAT you eat, rather how much...
merely knocking out "junk" food isn't a diet...thats just being sensible...
a real diet for a fitness person includes measuring portions to ensure your getting an appropriate amount of fat, protein, carbs and nutrients to support either your weight loss or gain.

noobie
05-16-2004, 03:06 PM
how could I do that? dont I need to talk to an expert and have them take tests, then see what I need? I dont really have access to that. Im overweight right now, but was worse a few months ago. I guess my question is asking where and how I can come up with a good diet?

geoffgarcia
05-16-2004, 03:19 PM
the first step would probably be to understand what your avg daily intake consists of.
The only way to do that is to track it, preferably with a tool like dietOrganizer or fitday (.com's)
Do that for a week or two, then come back and let us know how much protein/carbs/fats your getting and we can advise you what you need to change.
Off the bat you should be in the 1g of protein per lb of body weight. About .6g of fat per lb of body weight, 20g of fiber at the least, and judging by your age/height/weight probably in the 3k total calorie range.
Less than 20g of your diet should be from sat. fat
Thats a start...from there you can fine tune based on if you want to lose/gain weight...but thats where you should start.
There is no need to spend money on a nutritionist

Ebu
05-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Like geoff is saying, track your current diet for a week or two, then take it from there on what you need to change to keep everything in balance for what you wanna do. www.fitday.com is awesome, I use it everyday.

Strider2
05-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Diet is one part of it but if you want the diet to work the best I would suggest working out more than once a week. You should be doing about 3-4 sessions a week.

noobie
05-16-2004, 05:30 PM
thanks for the help. I just made an account on fitday. pretty cool. I didnt eat breakfast today, and had some tv dinner for lunch, but wasnt listed. itll be easier for me to start tomarrow.

Focused70
05-16-2004, 06:04 PM
don't forget to drink water throughout the day. best thing to do is to keep a water bottle near you and sip every so often.

I strive for a gallon a day. It looks daunting but it really isn't. :)

good luck btw.

Soba

noobie
05-16-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks for the encouragement!

ill be sure to start drinking more water. id say i drink half a gallon at best, so Ill double that.

v8firebird
05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
The Water advice is good advice. It helps feel better all day. I drink 1.5 gals a day and I always feel good. Haven't been sick for years and though I spend all day pissing it is worth it. Also, Do you want to get big fast or do you want to cut/ get more definition. If you want to get big, eat a lot of healthy food (fish, chicken etc) and workout a lot. I workout 6 days a week for 1 1/2 hrs a day and have had great results. Unless you eat a lot of protein this will not work for you.
If you want to get definition I would consider doing at least 5 days a week of a good 30-45 min cardio workout and 3-4 days of weightlifting for 45 mins. Also keep the calories down.
Abs are hard to get if you are trying to put on weight. The decision to cut or bulk is the hardest decision I have to make each month.
Good Luck on whatever you do

CraigVA286
05-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Dont forget protein shakes and creatine either...they make a BIG difference.

J450n
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Dont forget protein shakes and creatine either...they make a BIG difference.

Creatine did little difference for me personally.. either way, i don't think at this point he should be using it.. not until a he's got a decent diet plan going and the gains from that.

aka23
05-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Ive read you dont need to do so many crunches, as thats just muscle fatigue which only builds up type 2 fibres, which isnt much of the muscle

So perhaps treat them like any other muscle, do 4 heavy sets of ~10 reps, like weighted leg extensions/weighted crunches/kneeling cable crunches

As far as ive read anyhow....

I think you mean type I fibers. Type II tend to respond more to lower reps. While type I tend to respond more to medium/higher reps. A related study is described at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12436270 . It analyzed three rep ranges for leg exercises: 4 sets of 3-5 reps, 3 sets of 9-11 reps, and 2 sets of 20-28 reps. The following gains were found in each group:

20-28 reps
Type-I -- 10.3% increase
Type-IIA -- 8.0% increase
Type-IIB -- 13.5% increase

9-11 reps
Type-I -- 13.1% increase
Type-IIA -- 16.3% increase
Type-IIB -- 27.3% increase

3-5 reps
Type-I -- 12.4% increase
Type-IIA -- 22.9% increase
Type-IIB -- 25.3% increase

The low rep group had the greatest type II gains overall. The medium rep group had the greatest type I gains overall. The high rep training was not very effective for hypertrophy purposes. The low rep group had the greatest strength gains. The high rep group had the greatest aerobic power and time to exhaustion gains.

Doing high reps of ab work may help with muscular endurance or aerobic power, but it is not an efficient training method for strength or myofibrillar hypertrophy.

noobie
05-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I want defenition, instead of getting huge(at least for this 2 month goal) ive got a few charts and whatnot from fitday. here ya go;

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1170
Fat: 55 496 43%
Sat: 26 232 20%
Poly: 4 39 3%
Mono: 20 183 16%
Carbs: 105 414 35%
Fiber: 2 0 0%
Protein: 63 254 22%
Alcohol: 0 3 0%

I cant post the piechart, but in an average day, about 40 percent of my calories are from fat, 35 from carbs, and 25 from protein.

so im just gonna start running(3 miles every other day to start sound good?) and doing about 45 minutes of lifting 4 or 5 days a week, along with cutting out most bad foods, and drinking a gallon of water a day.

Saint Patrick
05-17-2004, 05:47 PM
ive got a few charts and whatnot from fitday. here ya go;

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1170
Fat: 55 496 43%
Sat: 26 232 20%
Poly: 4 39 3%
Mono: 20 183 16%
Carbs: 105 414 35%
Fiber: 2 0 0%
Protein: 63 254 22%
Alcohol: 0 3 0%

Please don't tell me that's all you ate in one day.

noobie
05-17-2004, 07:40 PM
:( ummm ya.

well, I did have 5 cups of water and some strawberries, but ya.

HahnB
05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
:( ummm ya.

well, I did have 5 cups of water and some strawberries, but ya.

If you plan on running 3 miles every other day, you're going to need to eat about 4 times as much as you are now. 1170 calories is a disasterous diet for gaining weight lol. Aim for 4000+ if you want to start gettin the job done. Running a lot is going to make you burn off precious calories. If you want to run you need to eat even more to gain weight. I would say 25 calories per lb you weigh and you will gain it guaranteed.

noobie
05-17-2004, 09:04 PM
im trying to define, but generally become large. I dont wanna be like the skinny little white kid with a six pack. I wanna be more like a big guy with a 6 pack. you know? right now ive got flab, so would it best to get rid of the flab on a diet like this? or should I just work out and turn the flab into muscle?

Holto
05-17-2004, 09:41 PM
it's good to cut flab first (your word LOL)

then you can bulk which is usually more fun

Shao-LiN
05-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, you want to get big, but you want to look cut...and all this in 2 months. If you're going for the look, I would just concentrate on a cut for the time being as you'll probably pack on some fat if you do bulk.

noobie
05-17-2004, 10:31 PM
aight cool. so is my 1k calories good for cutting?

HahnB
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
2 months isn't going to yield miracle results. Granted you will see some results, but you're not going to do a cut and bulk in 2 months. 1000 calories is still too low even for cutting if you ask me.

Shao-LiN
05-17-2004, 10:40 PM
If you weight 90 pounds, sure.

v8firebird
05-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Just my $.02 but you should eat more. If you wanna cut and you are lifting and running that much you should eat at least 2,000 cals. I would do about 3,000 but remember they should be good calories from healthy foods. If you are only doing 1k worth of calories and exercising that much you will either feel like crap all day or will pass out. I know when I cut I tend to eat just as much just of better foods. More vegetables and what not. Cardio makes the difference in a good cut or not. Its summer now and we all realize why you wanna get cut but if you feel like crap its not going to be worth it. Eat healthy and exercise and the flab will come off. Also if you wanna get rid of excess body fat the best way is to do sprints. Three miles a day will help lose weight but if you realy wanna get rid of fat run 2 miles then do hard 40 yard sprints until you cant take it anymore. Good idea with the water. Soon you'll be drinking water all day and when your friends go to the gas station to get a pop you'll be buying an Aquafina. Well thats my book, hope you enjoyed