PDA

View Full Version : enough essential fats?

Harry
05-18-2004, 01:13 PM
well i bought some cod liver oil tablets that i will take once every morning, these are the same as fish oil caps right?

i will have some brazil nuts lunch time and for evingin time i plan to either have salmon or trout. But what about the days i dont have the fish, what should i use instead so i have enuff fats....i am meant to have 11 grams per day. I hear penut butter is good for this aswell, perhaps shud i add some to my mornin protein shake and then take the fish oil cap before i got to bed?

TheGimp
05-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Nuts are not a good source of EFAs. (Walnuts are mediocre).

Tablets are probably a poor choice as it makes it difficult to consume enough. A bottle of oil would be better, and something in the region of two tablespoons daily would be a good dosage.

Harry
05-18-2004, 01:52 PM
what type of oil? ive read to make ur own with flax oil and safflower oil, can u buy these froma normal supermarket?

TheGimp
05-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Fish oil. Flax oil would be an alternative, but a poor one.

The EFAs in flaxseed oil are in the form of ALA/LA and need to be converted to EPA/DHA which is a very inefficient process. The fish oil is already in the form of EPA/DHA.

Harry
05-18-2004, 02:03 PM
k kool thanks alot

geoffgarcia
05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Harry which tabs did you get?
I just made a spreadsheet comparing a variety of different ones as far as EPA/DHA vs price goes, and Kirkland Signature Fish Oil caps in the 300cap bottle destroy the competition in price.

For fats you can try hemp oil, olive oil, fish oil, flax oil, udos oil...there are a bunch to choose from, personally i dont bother with nuts. I try to get 80g of fat at a minimum each day. Ideally I shoot for 100-110g

Harry
05-19-2004, 06:54 AM
im cutting so im only takin in 19 grams a day, how come ures is that much more than me? i have Holland and Barett cod liver oil, maybe they are the totally wrong thing?

TheGimp
05-19-2004, 07:05 AM
You're getting only 19 grams of total fat a day? That is far too low. You need at least 20% of calories from fat for healthy hormone production. Eating fat won't make you fat, excess calories will. Just make sure you get your fat from healthy sources like avocados, nuts, fish and olive oil, plus supplementing with EFAs.

It sounds like you've bought the right thing, a bottle of oil would just be easier to take the required amount. I believe it is something like 5 capsules for a tablespoon of oil, and you should be having multiple tablespoons a day.