PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for some feedback...

Frozenmoses
05-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Okay, I'm 5'11", 170ish lbs, probably 17%ish bodyfat. I'm going to do a cut with 2000 cals/day. I'm trying to stay low carb, as I've tried cutting before using a 40/30/30 split, and my results weren't very spectacular. This time I'm gonna try somewhere around 50/15/35. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I'll post today's diet, feel free to point out areas to look at. Keep in mind it isn't perfect, but it's pretty clean in my book.

Meal 1: Whey shake, 10 fish oil caps.
Meal 2 (Post Workout): Whey shake.
Meal 3: Low carb tortilla, 8 oz chicken breast, 1/8 cup of cheese, 2 tbsp salsa.
Meal 4: 1/3 lbs ground beef, 1 tbsp red hot sauce, 1/2 tbsp dressing.
Meal 5: 1/2 cup rice, 8 oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp red hot sauce, 1/2 tbsp dressing.
Meal 5: Whey shake, 1 cup skim milk, 10 fish oil caps.

Cals: 1988
Protein: 251 g (50%)
Carbs: 79 g (14%)
Fat: 79 g (35%)

Jasonl
05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
You can try a lower-carb approach, but I don't think it would be a good idea to start a cut at only 1988 calories. I'd try to start around 2500 and adjust accordingly.

Frozenmoses
05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Well, last cut I tried I was at 2200 cals and I saw very little weight change. I've had pretty slow metabolism all my life, so I was thinking 2000 would be a good starting point, and then adjust higher if I started losing any more than 2 lbs/week. I just have a feeling my metabolism hasn't gotten any higher since my last cut.

SalahG
05-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Okay, I'm 5'11", 170ish lbs, probably 17%ish bodyfat. I'm going to do a cut with 2000 cals/day. I'm trying to stay low carb, as I've tried cutting before using a 40/30/30 split, and my results weren't very spectacular. This time I'm gonna try somewhere around 50/15/35. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I'll post today's diet, feel free to point out areas to look at. Keep in mind it isn't perfect, but it's pretty clean in my book.

Meal 1: Whey shake, 10 fish oil caps.
Meal 2 (Post Workout): Whey shake.
Meal 3: Low carb tortilla, 8 oz chicken breast, 1/8 cup of cheese, 2 tbsp salsa.
Meal 4: 1/3 lbs ground beef, 1 tbsp red hot sauce, 1/2 tbsp dressing.
Meal 5: 1/2 cup rice, 8 oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp red hot sauce, 1/2 tbsp dressing.
Meal 5: Whey shake, 1 cup skim milk, 10 fish oil caps.

Cals: 1988
Protein: 251 g (50%)
Carbs: 79 g (14%)
Fat: 79 g (35%)

That is not too bad. Just try to find a supplement to give you some extra energy in the gym, whenever I go lowcarb it seems like it very hard to workout. Maybe some thermogenics? Just a thought.

geoffgarcia
05-18-2004, 11:03 PM
I agree with salah, your going to low carb, your gonna suffer in the gym from lethargy

I also agree with Jason, 2000 calories is to low, regardless of what kind of results you've seen in the past. Unless you have a way to measure water weight, lean body mass and fat then its about impossible to know for sure what kinda changes are going on under the covers.
Going below your bmr is rarely, if ever recommended....

also if your taking that many fish oil caps (the same number I take btw) then I hope yo have a good source to get them cheap! it can add up fast!

Vido
05-18-2004, 11:45 PM
It would make more sense to me to have that rice pre or post-workout, not as one of your later meals in the day (unless you change to a night workout).

DoUgL@S
05-19-2004, 12:23 AM
I would suggest some carbs around your workout. Some before to help fuel it and some after so replenish glycogen stores. Aside from that maybe cut down on the whey shakes, and replace one or two with solid food to help you stay fuller and avoid hunger. BTW you can buy fish oil caps at costco pretty cheap.

Frozenmoses
05-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Cool, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm gonna add some dextrose to my morning shakes to bring my cals around 2200. I get my fish oil from 1fast400, its pretty cheap. I think I'm gonna keep the amount of shakes I have, just because I don't feel any problems with hunger so far. I suppose if I start getting them, I'll drop one, however, for whole food. Thanks again, everyone.

ectx
05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
A couple of suggestions for you chuy. First off...our diets are very similar. I do eat more carbs than you. Make sure that rice is brown. White rice sucks. Down with whitey! But then again, you know that. Echoing what others have said, add dextrose to your post workout shake. You need it mang! Why 40 FOC's? I think 12-20's enough. Low carb tortillas suck ass. Nothing but soy. Try whole wheat tortillas instead. I even think HEB makes them fresh(at least central market does). On your last shake...why whey? Dude...you're going to sleep...you're using a protein source that's just going to go right through you and end up in the toilet. Get a mixed blend (egg, casein, whey, etc.) and if you feel like varying your fat intake add some flax to it. I also think 2200 is a better cal intake for ya. Whatcha think? BTW, doing any cardio? Cuz I haven't seen any in your journal. If I were living by the beach I'd be doing intervals or running dunes every day foo'.

Frozenmoses
05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
dear jotokook,

Gotcha on the rice and tortillas. I'll check out the heeb for the good tortillas. Good call on the bedtime shake, I didn't even think about it. Also, I'm not taking 40 foc's a day, only 20; check yo math smarty! I'm doing some light cardio, just 15 mins every training day minus leg day on eliptical, and a brisk evening walk of about a mile. My endurance aint hot enough to be doing HIIT yet.

DoUgL@S
05-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Off topic, but I'm curious.

OK. Chuy I get. Why aren't you Frozenjesus? Too religious? Chuy is short for Jesus, right?

But jotokook. Explanation please.

Frozenmoses
05-19-2004, 04:21 PM
frozenmoses is the name of my band i was in last year. No reason behind it. I'll let ec explain why he dubbed me chuy. As for jotokook, ec is a joto (spanish term for homosexual) and a kook (an extremely suckass duder) and thats all there is to it.

DoUgL@S
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Cool name for a band. I probably should have been more creative with my username.

Joto I knew. Very funny.

ectx
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
frozenmoses is the name of my band i was in last year. No reason behind it. I'll let ec explain why he dubbed me chuy. As for jotokook, ec is a joto (spanish term for homosexual) and a kook (an extremely suckass duder) and thats all there is to it.

Jerk...from this point on all my diet advice shall make you fat!

I dubbed him Chuy a longass time ago...his title back then was "teh big jesus"...I added a little latino coolness and dubbed him Chuy. It stuck. That is all.

raniali
05-19-2004, 05:22 PM
jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights in the desert. maybe that would be a good cutting diet for chuy???

but if not - i also do not think you need so many FOCs. 10 is a good number - i have read 6 is sufficient. (being dependent on the actual weight and percentages in each capsule, obviously)

Shark
05-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Maybe its just be but i preffer starting the day with real food as opposed to a shake? You may want to give it some thought. Possible think about eggs?

Frozenmoses
05-19-2004, 09:46 PM
rani - I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for the info.

cruss - Hmm, I might do that, I just feel like a zombie in the morning and shakes are just so easy to make whereas preparing food takes thinking, which I suck at come breakfast time.