PDA

View Full Version : Bread is bad when your cutting?

Focused
05-19-2004, 03:14 AM
seems like everywhere i go to, i hear that bread is bad if youre trying to lose weight...is thaat true? i love eating sandwhiches i dont know how im going to survive without them

Dedicated
05-19-2004, 04:50 AM
It isn't bad. If you are really worried get whole wheat bread.

ryuage
05-19-2004, 05:26 AM
its not bad, calories in vs calories out... but then again there are always better sources then bread that you could choose from.

supirman
05-19-2004, 05:45 AM
i dont know how im going to survive without them
weak tuttut

Paladyr
05-19-2004, 09:00 AM
I just use one slice instead of two and the same amount of meat. Even wheat bread has like 70 calories a slice.

Focused
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
tuna taste so much better in a toasted sandwhich with bbq sauce on it..it actually makes the tuna taste good, thats why i like eating them so much

so i guess as long as i keep my calories low, im fine i guess?

Saint Patrick
05-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah don't buy in to all that "carbs make you fat" nonsense.

Shark
05-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Carbs do make you fat, if you neglect EFA's and protein and eat too damn much. Like my freaking girlfriend...:mad:

ectx
05-19-2004, 09:25 PM

:withstupi

This depends on how you're achieving your goals...the diet you're using and at what rate you choose to do it. I've managed to lose weight quite successfully and still been able to leave ww bread in the equation.

*edit...Crussow posted before me...what I meant to say was that I'm in agreement with Patty

Shark
05-19-2004, 09:26 PM
For sure, ww bread is ace on a cut.

Holto
05-19-2004, 10:23 PM
anything whole grain

to manage cals it's good to base a meal on it

adding meat is brilliant

in the morning peanut butter

Alke
05-20-2004, 06:44 AM
bread is good, I like to ask for the high carb menu when I go into a place :D

this is just me, but I think the heavier the bread, the better. There is some crappy bread out there, like that .99 white bread that could double as a giant marshmellow in a bread bag.

the best bread I have found is New England Brown bread, (nothing processed, bleached or enriched about it! cost the same as most whole wheat breads......

Stuff weighs a ton and has these ingrediants: Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Molasses, Dextrose, Rye Flour, Whey, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Baking Soda, Buttermilk, Salt, Corn Oil

ogarchamplin
05-20-2004, 06:48 AM
White bread is the killer of Modern Man

SquareHead
05-20-2004, 08:27 AM
I thought it was aids and cancer...

who knew

ogarchamplin
05-20-2004, 08:35 AM
I thought it was aids and cancer...

who knew

http://www.antiaginglifeextension.com/health_matters_minutes/articles/white_bread.asp?a=1563&c=&p=

The Startling Facts And Health Risks
of Eating White Bread Health Matters
Minutes Article
Mar. 7, 2003

White Bread . . . The Awful Truth
Can white bread cause bodily damage and end lives prematurely? Here are some facts about white bread, and you be the judge.

The Swiss government has been aware of the dangers of eating white bread for decades and in order to get its populace to stop eating it, Switzerland has placed a tax on the purchase of white bread. The tax money is given to bakers to reduce the price of whole wheat bread to encourage people to switch.

The Canadian government passed a law prohibiting the “enrichment” of white bread with synthetic vitamins. Bread must contain the original vitamins found in the grain, not imitations.

White bread is “dead” bread. Nobody is telling us the truth about this and so called “enriched” flour.

Why is the color of white bread so white when the flour taken from wheat is not?

It’s because the flour used to make white bread is chemically bleached, just like you bleach your clothes. So when you are eating white bread, you are also eating residual chemical bleach.

Flour mills use different chemical bleaches, all of which are pretty bad. Here are a few of them: oxide of nitrogen, chlorine, chloride, nitrosyl and benzoyl peroxide mixed with various chemical salts.

One bleaching agent, chloride oxide, combined with whatever proteins are still left in the flour, produces alloxan. Alloxon is a poison and has been used to produce diabetes in laboratory animals. Chlorine oxide destroys the vital wheat germ oil. It will also shorten the flour’s shelf life and nurture insects.

Good Nutrition: You Won’t Find It In White Bread!

In the process of making flour white, half of the good unsaturated fatty acids, that are high in food value, are lost in the milling process alone, and virtually all the vitamin E is lost with the removal of wheat germ and bran. As a result, the remaining flour in the white bread you buy, contains only poor quality proteins and fattening starch.

But that is not the whole story as to the loss of nutrients. About 50% of all calcium, 70% of phosphorus, 80% iron, 98% magnesium, 75% manganese, 50% potassium, and 65% of copper is destroyed. If that is not bad enough, about 80% thiamin, 60% of riboflavin, 75% of niacin, 50% of pantothenic acid, and about 50% of Pyridoxine is also lost.

Scientific Study Has Confirmed What The Swiss Have Known For Years

These horrific numbers are the results of a study run by the University of California, College of Agriculture.

It is obvious, from what we have learned, that white bread should be avoided like the plague. Whole wheat, rye, and grain breads made with whole wheat flour is a better way to go. Let alone adults, feeding white bread to children aught to be a crime!

I have tried shopping for bread in supper markets and have given up after reading the labels, walking away in disgust. I now buy my bread in a health food store. It was either that or give up eating bread altogether.

For a more healthful way of life, always read the labels and never buy foods that contain artificial flavors, colors, bleached flour, preservatives, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.

Remember, it is not only how long you live, it’s how healthy you live.

All the best health to you!

Thank You,
Ira Marxe
CEO, Good Health Supplement

Allyrulez
05-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Eating fresh olive bread in Crete Mmmmmmm

And literally hot-off-the-stove pita bread in Israel

Are just so divine

bread

fishbrains
05-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Eating fresh olive bread in Crete Mmmmmmm

And literally hot-off-the-stove pita bread in Israel

Are just so divine

lol.

I eat bread after I get back from the gym. Is that good or bad??? What is the best to eat after lifting?

ecliptic
05-20-2004, 04:34 PM
What is the best to eat after lifting?

A steak.

Or just a protein shake.

Or a protein shake and a steak!

Actually, just go with the protein shake.

Podium Kreatin
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM

simple carbs for sure make u fat easily. there's a higher correlation w/ low soda prices and obesity than fast food prices and obesity (kids nowadays learn to save money, and they'll buy cheap soda than milk, statistically)

SquareHead
05-21-2004, 01:41 AM
simple carbs for sure make u fat easily. there's a higher correlation w/ low soda prices and obesity than fast food prices and obesity (kids nowadays learn to save money, and they'll buy cheap soda than milk, statistically)

Step away from the sociology book. I dont think obesity needs to be over complicated with soda price correlation. Too many calories consumed not enough calories burned. Sodas are calorie dense and easy to slug down while sitting on your duff watching tv. I think if you want to have a sandwich out of white bread every once in a while go for it. Dont freak out over every thing a self appointed expert says is terrible for your health.

Sure its true simple carbs are easy to get kinda chunky on if you freak out and inhale them. Sure white bread is not good for you. Neither is exhaust from tail pipes or second hand smoke but what the hell can you do. Take things in moderation dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff.

Now, I am going to go drink a soda have a wonderbread and roastbeef sandwich while watching Rosie McDonald w00t :whazzup:

Saint Patrick
05-21-2004, 02:04 AM

My statement was over-simplified. I agree with you, and I happen to think that HFCS sweeteners are the devil.

When I said "carbs" I mean carbs in general, not fast food and soda.

Exnor
05-21-2004, 04:44 AM
There is nothing harmful in white bread unless it has been added.

http://www.deliaonline.com/cookeryschool/howto/how_0000000018.asp

In regard to white bread flour:

"Often the germ and bran is removed in the process of making white flour, decreasing the flour’s nutritional value. To compensate for this loss of nutrients, commercial bread manufacturers enrich white flour by adding minerals and supplemental vitamins. In many countries governmental health agencies enforce particular enrichment standards. In the United States, for example, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that enriched breads contain specified amounts of thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and iron. Flour in the United States is also fortified with additional calcium and phosphorus."

Exnor
05-21-2004, 04:53 AM
This is an interesting read:

http://www.smartnutritionguide.com/white%20bread.htm

Podium Kreatin
05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Step away from the sociology book. I dont think obesity needs to be over complicated with soda price correlation. Too many calories consumed not enough calories burned. Sodas are calorie dense and easy to slug down while sitting on your duff watching tv. I think if you want to have a sandwich out of white bread every once in a while go for it. Dont freak out over every thing a self appointed expert says is terrible for your health.

alrite, i guess i too oversimplified. sodas make it EASIER to gain fat weight, altho anything can get u fat (even protein), depending on calories in vs calories burned.

however, the thing to add why simple carbs (esp from cheap sodas) make it easier to get obese is the insulin changes. there's also an increase in type 2 diabetes w/ obesity rates and soda prices. u can eat as many complex carbs, proteins, or even pure fat, as u want, but none will trigger an insulin response like simple sugars. insulin is a hormone which stores excess blood sugar as glycogen and fat, and fat cells can increase in numbers, but not decrease