PDA

View Full Version : Oly Lifters/speed strength

KingJustin
05-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Not a question, but I found an interesting excerpt from Dr. Squat's page:

Pound for pound, Olympic weightlifters have a greater level of speed-strength than any other class of athletes in all of sport. This fact was made very clear during a massive scientific expedition carried out on the athletes at the Mexico City Olympics in 1964. Sports scientists found that Olympic lifters were able to both vertical jump higher than any class of athletes (including the high jumpers), and run a 25 yard dash faster than any class of athletes (including the sprinters).

Ford Prefect
05-19-2004, 08:06 AM
I've seen this study referenced with the actual results in Zatsiorsky's "Science and Practice of Strength Training" and I think it could have been in Supertraining by Siff as well.

SalahG
05-19-2004, 11:06 AM

Very true, Olympic Weightlifters are the most powerful people in the world because all they do is train explosion and cooridination.

Ford Prefect
05-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I'd have to say that multi-billionaire owners of large corporations are the most powerful people in the world, but that's just my opinion. ;)

chris mason
05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Olympic lifters are the most powerful lifters at the movements they practice. They are not the most powerful men in the world necessarily. Powerlifting involves slow strength which can be a bit different.

If you look at strongman events, it is not the former Olympic lifters that win, it is former powerlifters that win for the most part. I am not discounting Olympic lifters as the best of them are amazingly strong. I am just saying that to make a blanket statement that they are the strongest in the word is not correct.

WillKuenzel
05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
I found it interesting to note that maybe oly lifters can ATF squat 405 but they can't parallel 700. But somebody in the same weight class in powerlifting can squat 700 but can also ATF 405. Equipment not being an issue either.

Like Chris said though, for certain things they are the strongest at what they do, but when you look at powerlifters, they're going to come very close but then excel in other areas where oly lifters won't. Its a trade off on certain things.

Ford Prefect
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
You guys ever hear of Shane Hammond? He's a world class powerlifter that switched over to oly lifting (and should be appearing in the olympics this summer). The guy squatted 1008 lbs in a powerlifting comp, and it was a real legitamate squat too. I think power lifters are crazy, but Shane's squat wasn't one of those super-wide stance, move the weight 4" power squats. Check it out:

http://www.ivanko.com/shane_hamman.html

He has the raw strength to be one of the best in the world, but he's yet to develop the technique and quickness. He's still one of the top in the USA though.

SalahG
05-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Olympic lifters are the most powerful lifters at the movements they practice. They are not the most powerful men in the world necessarily. Powerlifting involves slow strength which can be a bit different.

If you look at strongman events, it is not the former Olympic lifters that win, it is former powerlifters that win for the most part. I am not discounting Olympic lifters as the best of them are amazingly strong. I am just saying that to make a blanket statement that they are the strongest in the word is not correct.

They aren't the strongest people in world by far, but they are the most powerful. Power=Strength/Time, and they are the best at moving weights in a quick motion. To add, they will excel in things like the 25m dash and things like that because they constantly train the triple extension of the hips, knees, and ankles which is the most functional movement sportswise there is.

chris mason
05-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Actually, it is Shane Hamman and yes, I have heard of him. He was a very promising powerlifter who switched to Olympic lifting. He has yet to live up to his promise in Olympic lifting (many thought he was the our chance to win gold). A very impressive athlete for sure.

He is not the first man to be an excellent powerlifter and Olympic lifter. Mark Henry is another who, by the way, could rule the strength world if he chose to.

If you want old school you can look at Jon Cole (I believe it is spelled "Jon"). Jon was a man who was an incredible powerlifter and very impressive Olympic lifter.

Now, about the ATF Olympic squats, Olympic lifters are often amazingly strong at "no, no, no" ATF squats. These are completely RAW squats to the floor. The defending super heavy Olympic champion, Hossein Reza Zadeh is a good example. He regularly squats 400 kg in his training using Olympic style (fairly narrow stance and ATF). That is 880 lbs and he does it without a spotter and all of the equipment that a powerlifter might use!!! The man is AMAZING!

jazer80
05-19-2004, 09:16 PM
sorry for a naive question but what's the differnce between powerlifting and olympic lifts? it's just the speed, i didn't know powerlifting was slower motions?

KingJustin
05-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Olympic Lifts are the Clean & Jerk and the Snatch (that's 2 movements). They absolutely have to be very explosive movements to carry any reasonable amount of weight.

Powerlifting lifts are the Bench Press, the Squat and the Deadlift. Most people call these lifts "maximal strength" lifts, but as of somewhat recently a focus has been on developing speed-strength and not just maximal strength in these lifts.

The main reason I posted this, btw, was because I was amazed at the carryover between olympic lifting and sprinting/jumping. I don't think you agree (and I could be wrong) Chris, but I thought it was a good example of how developing power in a lift that works a certain bodypart can carryover to being powerful in different movements for the same bodypart.

Max-Mex
05-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Totally different lifts Jazer. The snatch and the clean and jerk are the 2 oly lifts. PL lifts are Bench, DL and Squat. Olympic lifting is very quick because trying to lift the weight slow would make things 100times harder. The rules in Pl'ing require you to slow down your lifts (no bouncing off the chest, no bouncing at the bottom of the squat).

It pretty cool to watch olympic lifts. It's truly amazing how some of the stronger athletes can move so much weight so quickly. Even the lighter lifters do some amazing stuff as well.

SalahG
05-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Totally different lifts Jazer. The snatch and the clean and jerk are the 2 oly lifts. PL lifts are Bench, DL and Squat. Olympic lifting is very quick because trying to lift the weight slow would make things 100times harder. The rules in Pl'ing require you to slow down your lifts (no bouncing off the chest, no bouncing at the bottom of the squat).

It pretty cool to watch olympic lifts. It's truly amazing how some of the stronger athletes can move so much weight so quickly. Even the lighter lifters do some amazing stuff as well.

I agree, basically you can make a comparison to cars for the difference between power and olympic weightlifting. Powerlifters are like a dump truck, can push a lot of weight, but not so fast or quick, Olympic lifters are like a viper, quick and powerful, lots of horsepower.

bill
05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I would have to see one of these olympic lifters out run a world class athlete like a true track star to believe it.