PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Diet

Rab
05-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Just a quick post to check folks opinions on that atkins diet. Bought the book, did the reading, but heard nothing but bad press about it. Should I go with it or just stick to the old ways of calories in v calories out type thing.

All you'r points are welcome.....

Cheers

Rab

:bash:

Max-Mex
05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
You could do an all carb diet. I don't see too many fat vegetarians.

TheGimp
05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Do you mean Atkins? :)

Rab
05-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Spelling was never my strong point ;-)

Always liked the idea of being a veggie but seems near impossible to cut out meat. On the other hand cutting out bread/potatos/pasta and a whole load more seems near impossible too.

TheGimp
05-19-2004, 12:10 PM
You could do an all carb diet. I don't see too many fat vegetarians.

Clearly haven't seen my pics then ;)

Straight Atkins isn't a great idea for body building as you won't have enough energy to do your workouts. Something cyclical, where you refeed on carbs regularly or targetted where you have carbs only pre/post workout would be better. You're probably not too keen on buying another book but check out the Ultimate Diet 2.0 (UD2.0) at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/. It's pretty much a cyclical low carb diet. It's pretty hardcore but gets results. There's a thread about it somewhere near the top of this forum.

Vido
05-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't think Atkins is a very good idea at all. The general public loves the idea of losing 5-10lbs in the first couple of weeks, but they don't realize it's only water loss due to lack of carbohydrate intake. After this, you probably lose fat at the same rate you would on a different diet of similar caloric intake.

2 glaring problems with the diet imo:
1) Without refeeds on a low carb diet you are going to look "flat" all the time. This may be a concern to you, it may not be.
2) Any diet that encourages the consumption of ALL fats cannot be very healthy in the long run. If you were to do this diet using only healthy fats, ie. olive oil, flax oil, Udo's, nuts, natty pb, etc., it would actually be a fairly healthy alternative to most diets because you would eliminate the chance of eating processed foods.

I don't think your workouts would suffer that much, with the exception of possibly the first few...the body adjusts to low/no carbs fairly quickly. Just remember the initial weight loss (from water) will come back as soon as you incorporate carbs back into your diet, so don't be discouraged by this.

Jasonl
05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I agree that a CKD or TKD is the way to go, not atkin's. On a diet such as atkin's, you're more likely to suffer more severe damage to muscle tissue and your body will have a harder time rebuilding it.

Shark
05-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Atkins is not for bodybuilders, period.

Holto
05-19-2004, 10:25 PM
nicely put guys

Hercule
05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
I have done straight Atkins and a TKD. I have had equal results w/ both. Do TKD, so that you will have energy to workout, and somce carbs afterwards to facilitate recovery. I get about 35g of complex before, and 35g of simple after workouts. I prefer the TKD because my workouts do not suffer nearly as much.