PDA

View Full Version : Food after 9PM = Healthy?

StarLeague
05-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I've heard rumors about this. Discuss.

StarLeague
05-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Blah, it was supposed to be UNHEALTHY

sifguy1980
05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I've heard about no carbs past 6 pm o.O

ryuage
05-20-2004, 10:33 AM
so what are the healthy times to eat? the no eating and no carbs are just myths you may disregard. In the end its about calories in vs calories out.

Max-Mex
05-20-2004, 10:58 AM
It doesn't matter. Whether you are bulking or cutting, as long as you eat enough calories you'll be fine.

Shao-LiN
05-20-2004, 11:02 AM
What sort of biological mechanism makes food unhealthy after a magical hour passes?

Shark
05-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I think the real idea here is the idea that if you're not supposed to eat after say 9pm then you will not be bring more calories in at the end of you day. If Joe or Jane Schmo eat 3000 cals a day (usually some kind of late night snack) and need to eat 2700 to lose weight telling them to stop eating after 9pm cuts out that last night snack and presto chango they lose weight. All of a sudden they think that the miracle of weight loss is not eating after 9. That's how stupid people spread rumors.

manowar669
05-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Even when cutting, I whack down a 400 calorie shake right before bed. It's kinda my treat for the day.

Saint Patrick
05-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm done lifting at about 9pm, so if I didn't eat after 9pm, I'd be quite screwed nutritionally.

geoffgarcia
05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
stop eating after 9pm cuts out that last night snack and presto chango they lose weight. All of a sudden they think that the miracle of weight loss is not eating after 9. That's how stupid people spread rumors.
amen

machaf
05-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Not eating after 9pm make no sense at all. Everyones bedtime is different. As other have pointed out, all that matters is the total amount of calories consumed. This will determine whether weight is losed of gained.

Davee
05-20-2004, 01:20 PM
i think it has more to do with yor energy cycle, you dont want to eat alot of powerful calories right before you sleep because a burst of glucogon(sp) will interupt your sleep., and get more rest. it also has to do with the body's metabolic rate is slower towards the end of the day.

thutch90
05-20-2004, 06:40 PM
I workout in the evenings and I usually have my post workout shake afterwards around 9:30pm or sometimes maybe 10pm. I noticed with me when I mix the maltodextrose in after the workout I have a harder time sleeping.

-Travis

shootermcgavin7
05-20-2004, 07:58 PM
I usually eat something right before bed; after all, its the only time in the day where you'll be going 7-8 hours without eating.

StarLeague
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
whew ;)

I was worried about my 2AM suppers...

KingJustin
05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Of course you can't set a time like 9PM and say nobody can eat past that time since everyone has different schedules ... but I've always found I get leaner when I don't have too many carbs right before bed (though I do have a lot of protein in the evenings). The carbs just aren't burned when you're sleeping -- they get burned doing every day activities and working out.

Don't take my word for it, though. It's possible that excess carbs don't turn into fat for over 8-9 hours, but I don't think so.

aka23
05-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Of course you can't set a time like 9PM and say nobody can eat past that time since everyone has different schedules ... but I've always found I get leaner when I don't have too many carbs right before bed (though I do have a lot of protein in the evenings). The carbs just aren't burned when you're sleeping -- they get burned doing every day activities and working out.

Don't take my word for it, though. It's possible that excess carbs don't turn into fat for over 8-9 hours, but I don't think so.

Below is a copy of a post I recently wrote on this subject:

1. The body does not convert significant amounts of carbs to fat, excluding certain unusual situations (very low fat diet, very high fructose/sucrose consumption, medical conditions, ...). The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2&dopt=Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8675642&dopt=Abstract) found that when subjects ate a diet with a 50% caloric surplus of carbohydrates, less than 5g of fat per day was created via DNL (converting carbs to fat).

It is possible for the glyogen stores to fill up, but this requires very extreme conditions. Acheson did a carbohydrate overfeeding expeirment where the subjects started at ~3600 calories and increased progressively to ~5000 calories over the course of 7 days. Before a significant amount of carb to fat conversion occurred, glycogen storage increased to an average of 810 grams over the usual ~500 grams (bodybuilders have larger glygogen storage capacity than average persons). Acheson concluded that the body can handle periodic loads of 2000 calories of overfeeding carbs without significant conversion to fat and to maintain continued conversion of fat, one must continue to massively overfeed carbs, like they did in the study.

2. The body continues to use carbs/glycogen for energy (and recovery) while sleeping. After an overnight fast, liver glycogen levels may be nearly empty.

3. You may be slightly less insulin sensitive at night, but this will probably have little significant consequence. Your calorie balance will be the major factor determining your fat gain. Skipping carbs at night may interfere with recovery and do more harm than good.

I usually eat over 100g of carbs in my 10pm meal and over 60g of carbs in snacks between this meal and my breakfast. While following this diet, I have been able to maintain a low body fat when bulking.

Dedicated
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Wow excellent post aka, really good read. It's good to finally get a definite answer on this question backed up by some form of study. I always felt a little guilty about eating a meal high in carbs at night but now I won't:).

KingJustin
05-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Jesus, you're the man aka.

This should very much help me in finding space to fit in some extra calories. Thanks a lot!

KingJustin
05-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Oh, one question, aka...

Will excess protein be converted to fat easier than excess carbs?

Berserker
05-23-2004, 09:12 PM
it sure helps the hangovers though. Though late nigt binging make you fat, cause eating more thenyou need to.

AllUp
05-24-2004, 12:07 PM
What sort of biological mechanism makes food unhealthy after a magical hour passes?
"Hi, I'm here to buy a gremlin." :)

robinhood
05-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Wow excellent post aka, really good read. It's good to finally get a definite answer on this question backed up by some form of study. I always felt a little guilty about eating a meal high in carbs at night but now I won't:).

sweet now i can go make some pasta! and it's 1135pm!