PDA

View Full Version : soda/soft drinks

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2001, 10:53 AM
it's pissing me off that i forget where i heard/read this, but is it right that drinking soda while cutting isn;t such a good idea cause the phosphates from the drink surround the fat cells so your body has to burn off the phosphates before it can get to the fat cells?

any input?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2001, 10:54 AM
...and even if it is true i'm clearly not paying attention to it cause i'm drinking a pepsi max right now haha...

syntekz
10-12-2001, 10:57 AM
Either way, soft drinks are useless calories. So thats one reason why they're bad for you when cutting.

Hot Shot
10-12-2001, 11:01 AM
diet soft drink i think would be ok when cutting

Wizard
10-12-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by syntekz
Either way, soft drinks are useless calories. So thats one reason why they're bad for you when cutting.

He obviously talks about diet soft drinks...
Anyway,that's a good question CD..
Let's hope that someone knows the answer.
In my opinion they don't cause any problem but I'm not sure.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2001, 11:10 AM
yeah, i'm hoping miss Tina T-bag can answer it. it seems like the kind of weird stuff she would know...

Tryska
10-12-2001, 11:18 AM
nope...sorry robbboe....I have enver heard that theory though.

but i will say this:

phosphates = bad.

aspartame = evil.

soda = worthless.

Wizard
10-12-2001, 11:24 AM
But sugar=more evil than aspartame,thus
aspartame= :angel:
sugar= :evillaugh

Tryska
10-12-2001, 11:25 AM
sugar really ain't that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Wizard
10-12-2001, 11:31 AM
There's no any :study: that proves it.I mean that sugar leads to obesity which is a no no for the health.Then,some people say that aspartame may cause cancer but they can't prove it so I keep the only fact any choose the aspartame.

Alex.V
10-12-2001, 11:38 AM
No. That's 100% false.

body
10-12-2001, 11:41 AM
there is not many phosphates in soda. they are less than 1% so would not tkae much energy to burn off even if this is true.

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Shut up about aspartame being evil gooface.

We better watch out, the terrorist might make biological weapons from aspartame and kill us all. According to some people you'd think it's the most dangerous substance on earth.

Tryska
10-12-2001, 12:42 PM
denial.

Maki Riddington
10-12-2001, 12:56 PM
Yes, denial.

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 01:49 PM
Gullible.

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 01:49 PM
Yes, gullible.

Spiderman
10-12-2001, 01:58 PM
I'm thinkin the only real reason diet soda/pop would be bad for ya is all the sodium in it. It'll just help ya hold a little bit of water.... I can personally notice a BIG difference between the times when I'm retaining a bit of water (morning after a cheat day) as opposed to not retaining water. If I drink pop (rarely now) I'll drink Diet Rite. At least its sodium free....

Maki Riddington
10-12-2001, 02:22 PM
I like Aspartame it is good for you.

Tryska
10-12-2001, 02:26 PM
yes....eat all the aspartame you want, so that when you are old and feeble and addle-brained I can play cruel games with you. :evillaugh

Alex.V
10-12-2001, 02:45 PM
There's very little sodium in soda. Actually, one of caffeine's effects on the body is that it will cause sodium LOSS. I would think the net affect of too much diet soda would be a sodium DEFICIT.

*eats aspartame*

Budiak
10-12-2001, 08:03 PM
There are claims that some substances in diet colas (not uncolas like Mtn Dew, Fresca, and Diet 7-up) more or less "sucks" calcium right from your bones and muscles. Dammit, I cant believe I dont know what the substance is, but its either a benzoate, phosphate, or a diamyhatrilate something like that.

I dont drink any diet cola like Pepsi one (max) or Diet pepsi, diet coke. All clear diet colas are free of these chemicals.

Although Those clear diet colas aren't that great either, every time I down two or three diet MT. Dews I wake up feeling bloated and hated by my mother.

But perhaps thats just because she hates me.

Either way, I feel great! :cry:

Orange357
10-12-2001, 08:20 PM
ok question Does the carbonation or something "the bubbles" go into your muscle and pop? My wrestling coach told me this all the time but i cant remember it exactly:help:

nejar462
10-12-2001, 09:35 PM
Dont worry, wrestling coaches aren't the brightest group, trust me, i used to wrestle.

KeepPushing
10-12-2001, 10:41 PM
why drink soda when u can drink WATER!!!!!!!!!tuttut

Bax
10-13-2001, 04:09 AM
And why drink water when you can drink beer:angel: jk.
I read this before and thought I'd paste it in. It's actually pretty sick when you think of it and to be honest I haven't had a pop of any kind since I read it.

Water or Coke?
We all know that water is important but its never been
written down like this before.
WATER
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half world population)
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so
weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's
metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight
hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses
of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up
to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy
short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the
risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should
every day?

COKE
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol
carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and
it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into
the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush
clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous
china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:
Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the
corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked
in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola
into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of
coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric
acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the
commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to
clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of
water or coke?

YatesNightBlade
10-13-2001, 07:52 AM
CD. I think you'll be OK. I've heard of Bodybuilders drinking loads of Diet Coke to get ripped. I mean gallons of the stuff. I don't think carbonated drinks are any good in general tho. Ive read that the carbon molecules bind to minerals in the body and help to draw them out of the body (similar to Alcohol). In moderation ... I don't see a problem.

Orange357
10-13-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by nejar462
Dont worry, wrestling coaches aren't the brightest group, trust me, i used to wrestle.

I know..:)

Cackerot69
10-13-2001, 02:47 PM
Millions of people use aspartame regulary.

A few came down with a headache.

So very dangerous.

:)

body
10-14-2001, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bax
[
COKE

Put a t-bone steak in front of me and it will be gone within two seconds. That rate i devoir a steak 86,400 times quicker than coke can. so does that mean i am dangerous.

The reason i prefer a glass of water is thats its virtually free and is not empty cals. But coke taste nicer. the acidity does not bother me as i swallow coke and do not store it in my mouth for two day to let it dissolve my teeth.

Orange357
10-14-2001, 08:48 AM
coke: is there anything it cant do?:)

Alex.V
10-14-2001, 09:06 AM
Oh gosh. The worst of "water mania" and anti-coke mania, all rolled into one.

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half world population)

**doubtful. Even so, define dehydration.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so
weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

**That is a completely imaginary figure.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's
metabolism as much as 3%.

**Okay

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight
hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

**LOL!

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

**Again, arbitrary. But credible enough.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses
of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up
to 80% of sufferers.

**Bollox. No evidence. It's just a theory.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy
short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

**Fair enough.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the
risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

***slaps palm into forehead.*

Are you drinking the amount of water you should
every day?

COKE
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol
carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

**false. They have cheaper solvents for this kind of thing, and coke is of dubious effectiveness for this.

**Put it in fruit juice. Same thing, only the carbonation in coke will break up the dessicated slab of meat.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into
the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush
clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous
china.

Lower the PH of the water, and combined with the carbonation (again), it's a good formula for cleaning a wet container.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

**please don't do this.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:
Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the
corrosion.

**Point being? Again, please don't do this.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked
in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

**Yes, the lower pH fluid will break up the outermost layer of rust. This is often enough to loosed a rusty bolt.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola
into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

**Yes, it's called corn syrup

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of
coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

**Again, please don't do these things.

For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric
acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

**Active ingredient??? wtf? This whole statement is so full of half-truths and exaggerations.. Hey, the active ingredient in apples is cyanide. That ****'ll kill ya too.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the
commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

**Myth. Thank you very much.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to
clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

**Another myth.

Did I get 'em all?

body
10-14-2001, 10:15 AM
in the list of reason to avoid, you did not list one harmful thing it does to humans. i do not care what it does to a car or my toilet.

Bax
10-14-2001, 12:12 PM
Like I said, I read it on the net and thought it was pretty sick. It's not my list:) I guess the way I look at it is, if it can do that to a car, I really don't want to drink it. More than anything though, as I know drinking pop isn't fatal, it's a subconcious method that I use to avoid drinking it.

body
10-14-2001, 12:42 PM
rain water makes my car rusty. But I still go out in the rain and my skin is not rusty yet!
Thats what the arguments getting at. it trying to make something you cherish and love sound worse by using your car. while in reality if my throat was made of metal i may look at this article more properly. to that day i ingnore the hole thing about coke being bad for those reasons.

Bax
10-14-2001, 01:21 PM
ok

Buzzdolfo
10-14-2001, 10:47 PM
Pop = evil. You should avoid it at all costs. For one thing it leaches calcium from your bones. Post-menopausal women are more suceptible to osteoporosis if they are daily pop drinkers. The high sugar content is known to decrease your immunity by 50% (WBC count decreases) within half and hour of consumption making you susceptible to infections. The high amount of simple carbs also causes a rapid increase in insulin, leading to fat storage. Initailly this will give you an engery boost but the high insulin levels will lead to hypoglycemia and then you will start to feel sleepy and fatigued.

IceRgrrl
10-15-2001, 10:55 AM
There has been some evidence that diet soda stimulates appetite, which may not be a good thing when cutting...

I quit drinking diet soda at the end of the summer...just decided it wasn't doing anything good for me but causing me to spend money.

body
10-15-2001, 12:32 PM
Buzzdolfo wrote"Pop = evil. You should avoid it at all costs. For one thing it leaches calcium from your bones. Post-menopausal women are more suceptible to osteoporosis if they are daily pop drinkers."
the majority of people are males and most of the women are not post menopausal. how much more suspectiably as well? and how mcuh pop do you have to drink as well. What are the active ingredient that cuase the leaching. eg coke has different ingredints to diet apple tango.

"The high sugar content is known to decrease your immunity by 50% (WBC count decreases) within half and hour of consumption making you susceptible to infections."
how much sugar to cuase a 50% drop? and after half hour does it return to normal. Have you any proof that it drop by 50% as that is a massive amount. I would like to see it as it seem propoganda.

"The high amount of simple carbs also causes a rapid increase in insulin, leading to fat storage."
if over eating it will. and diet drinks will not cause the same effect as they do not raise inuslin.

" Initailly this will give you an engery boost but the high insulin levels will lead to hypoglycemia and then you will start to feel sleepy and fatigued. "
if you drink enough it will. but again diet coke will not. also i may want some pop after training when i want to increase my insulin levels back to normall. plus coke etc has to much sugar(over 8% carbs in solution decrease GI level) in it so its insulin spike is not to great. or you could go for diet alternative.

the doc
10-15-2001, 06:01 PM
drink more water than soda pop. You'll have a fatter wallet!

Buzzdolfo
10-15-2001, 08:49 PM
Hey body......if you do a medline search and do your own research on pop and its effects on the body then you will see that what i am saying is true. I don't have the time to get the research articles for you but i'm sure you can find them....sorry.

body
10-16-2001, 02:47 PM
buzz - any spefic words to use in the search on meldine as i do get a long list when i type in "sugar and immunity". with nothing seeming to be to relavent for the thread we are discussing. thanks.