PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting or Olympic Style Lifting right for me?

Chubrock
05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Well guys, I'll be going to college next year, and I've thought about trying to play tennis for the university. I know at the very minimum I'm going to play intramural or club ball but I would really like to play for the school. The thing is, I feel like I need to work on my explosiveness, my ability to explode to the ball no matter where on the court it is. I've been doing a normal lifting routine for about three months now, but I've been hearing a lot about the olympic style lifts. Would switching to an olympic routine help me out when it comes to the courts, or would neither style of lifting have an advantage over the other?

SalahG
05-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Well guys, I'll be going to college next year, and I've thought about trying to play tennis for the university. I know at the very minimum I'm going to play intramural or club ball but I would really like to play for the school. The thing is, I feel like I need to work on my explosiveness, my ability to explode to the ball no matter where on the court it is. I've been doing a normal lifting routine for about three months now, but I've been hearing a lot about the olympic style lifts. Would switching to an olympic routine help me out when it comes to the courts, or would neither style of lifting have an advantage over the other?

Keep doing basic powerlifting for injury prevention and muscular conditioning. Just add in Hang Cleans and Hang Snatches to teach your body hip explosion, and to transfer all of that strength you get from squats and deadlifts and turning it in to a cooridinated power move.

Chubrock
05-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the input.

Paul Stagg
05-21-2004, 07:06 AM
I think either would benefit you.

You might want to look into some of the training ideas at elitefts.com, specifically read the sports specific training q&a. IMO, the two main things you shodl be trying to get out of a strenght and conditioning program are...

Strength and Conditioning.

Further emphasis on injury prevention is also important.