PDA

View Full Version : Protein+Carbs.. What about the insulin levels?

Wizard
10-12-2001, 12:02 PM
Fact 1:Eating carbs with protein makes the meal's Gi higher than eating carbs alone.(while protein is turned into glucose @ 58%)

Fact 2:Eating protein aids in the release of glucagon,the hormone which lowers the insulin levels in the body,thus promoting lower blood sugar levels.

Conclusion:? :confused:

syntekz
10-12-2001, 12:09 PM
They negate each other. Bingo! Does it really make that much difference either way though?

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by syntekz
Does it really make that much difference either way though?

No.

Spiderman
10-12-2001, 01:17 PM
Actually....combining protein with carbs will lower the overall GI of the meal and slow down insulin release. I"m pretty sure anyway.....

YatesNightBlade
10-13-2001, 07:35 AM
I agree with Spidey. Fact 1 is utter bollox ...... is it not ?

body
10-13-2001, 01:34 PM
fYatesNightBlade "I agree with Spidey. Fact 1 is utter bollox ...... is it not ? "

after trianing hard they recommend that you take protien with your carbs to increase glycogen replenishmnet. though its contridicting.
but for after training recovery its been shown that adding protien aids recovery.

Cackerot69
10-13-2001, 02:45 PM
Fact number one is correct, usually.

It depends on the carb, if a carb has a GI of 100 then eating protein will lower it. If a carb has a GI of 50 then eating protein will most likely raise it. Has to do with some amino's being more or less ketogenic or glucogenic. Kinda complicated, prolly best not to worry about it.

Wizard
10-14-2001, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
I agree with Spidey. Fact 1 is utter bollox ...... is it not ? tuttut

aeckhardt
10-15-2001, 09:40 PM
Isn't it only the protein that the body can't use that is turned to glucose?

YatesNightBlade
10-16-2001, 01:55 AM
Gylcogenesis or whatever !??? No ??

body
10-16-2001, 04:32 PM
protien may help. when starving blod sugar levels are low, muscle protein are used as intermeidates for to maintain blood sugar levels. so ingesting protien may give you a increased level of amino acids in the blood to increase the rate of glucogenous.
but when not post exericse glucogeneous to same extent is not required therefore the ingested protein. will not help increase the blood sugar levels therefore the overall GI is lower when not exersing as the protien is not as glucogenic?
any ideas on that i extrapolated that info from a couple of books so have no refernce to back it up.
cack, maki, belail any comments on that?

Cackerot69
10-16-2001, 04:52 PM
I can never comprehend your posts body.

Tryska
10-16-2001, 04:59 PM
*whispers*

pssst! body! go drink some vodka.....

Maki Riddington
10-16-2001, 05:09 PM
Sorry dude, I'm lost.

body
10-17-2001, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by body Fact 1:Eating carbs with protein makes the meal's Gi higher than eating carbs alone.(while protein is turned into glucose @ 58%)
post exercise meal
protien may increase the GI. when starving blood sugar levels are low. Muscle proteins are used, as intermeidates to maintain blood sugar levels.
Eating protien increases levels of amino acids in the blood.
More amino acids in the blood. Increases the amount of amino acids available for glucogenous.
The more glucogenous that takes place, the higher level of blood sugar present. Therefore the GI increases as a result. Compared to eating carbs alone where blood sugar levels are not increased as much due to lower levels of glucogenous.

Fact 2:Eating protein aids in the release of glucagon,the hormone which lowers the insulin levels in the body,thus promoting lower blood sugar levels.
meals not straight after exerice.
When the bodys level of blood sugar is higher. The amount of glucogenous is at a slower rate.
This slowed rate of glucogenous will mean the protein eaten, Will be less glucogenic . So the GI of the meal is less. As only the carbs in the meal are used to promote blood sugar levels.

any ideas on that i extrapolated that info from a couple of books so have no refernce to back it up.
cack, maki, belail any comments on that?

btw i got housemate(teacher) to check this so you should be able to understand the english.lol

Tryska
10-17-2001, 04:28 PM
wow...much better...but now i'm confused on the content....

when blood sugar is low, protein will be used for gluconogenesis to maintain blood sugar levels? but when you eat protein it increases glucagon? wouldn't this kinda be at cross-purposes?

body
11-05-2001, 03:50 PM
- first let me say I am not a fan of simply GI because - GR (the actual glycemic response once it is actually ingested is of far greater importance that of a simple GI rating). If I undersatnd what you are asking - specifically - low glycemic meals and high protein stimulate the release of glucagon, a hormone secreted by the alpha cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. Glucagon activates adipose cell lipase to make more fatty acid available as energy. Remember that FFA (free fatty acid) play a huge role in relation to muscle. Low serum FFA levels increase muscle glycogenolysis (muscle breakdown). The stimulation of glucagon with the amino acids (from the protein) and their interaction with insulin create a "controlled" insulin secretion - therein harnessing more anabolic attributes of the insulin activity than if insulin secretion was stimulated by carbs alone. So it is not so much that it actually changes the GI - but it is more a fact that it changes or alters the glycemic response (GR). That is why I believe as do most human performance scientisits - GI is only half the story - GR is far more important to the athlete.

P.S. i cut and paced this.

Tryska
11-05-2001, 04:26 PM
hee hee....i knew it. there isn't enough vodka in the world *lol*

but anyway..thanks for clearing that up, body. that makes more sense.

Wizard
11-06-2001, 03:06 AM
Thanx body :)