PDA

View Full Version : Wide Stance Squats vs. Closer High Bar Squats

bill
05-21-2004, 07:03 AM
O.K. I have wanted to ask this question for a while. I know powerlifters have huge quads and also bodybuilders do to. Which do you think is going to be the best for building size? I know you do varied reps and sets. and obviously both are capable of building great size.
Curious of as a consensus which one would have an advantage. I know wide or full squats may hit more glutes. I don't care if my butt gets big as long as my legs do.

Currently I'm doing a powerlifters wide stance and finish with a couple of close stance sets. Any opinions.

Paul Stagg
05-21-2004, 07:08 AM
I think it depends on the person - build and so on.

Personally, were I bodybuilding, I'd do close stance deep squats most of the time.

bmanderson
05-21-2004, 08:26 AM
I prefer close stance, deep squats. I'd do those over wide stance powersquats if you're looking for muscular size.

If you have relatively long femurs, you'll have a harder time hitting an olympic full squat. So in the end I'd do whichever I could perform the most safely and progressively.

bill
05-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys, just average femur i suppose 5'11" and I origanally thought i was stronger with the wide stance, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. What about reps in general would you 6-8 be your range for most of the time?
Closer stance is somewhat more comfy.

Max-Mex
05-21-2004, 09:44 AM
That rep range is fine. I have wrist issues so I don't do larger rep counts. I do four 3 rep sets with a small rest between sets. I prefer wider stance because I feel I can keep better form that way.

bmanderson
05-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Rep range is highly individual. So whichever lets you work the hardest is probably best, IMO.

I prefer higher reps b/c I like the effect it has on my lungs and the pump it gives if I go hard enough.

chris mason
05-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Either stance will build the quads, although a narrower stance places more emphasis on the quads. For me, a wider stance is the more natural stance, but an unfortunate injury forces me to use a narrower stance these days (really limits the weight I can use). I go quite deep these days as well, but squatting to parallel will build up your lower body quite nicely as well.

In the end, I would pick the stance that allowed me to move the most weight in a safe fashion.

bill
05-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Cool guys, I 'm glad for the comments and I'm a late bloomer to squats so I'm finally seeing some development.

BigCorey75
05-24-2004, 10:27 AM
i squat with a "wide" stance, some peopel say its wide, to me it feels comfortable and i get alot of power out of it. ive tried close stance squats but i have big thick hips and legs and its kinda weird feeling, i do them from time to time but i prefer my natural stance which is kinda wide.

Saint Patrick
05-24-2004, 12:19 PM
I consider myself a bodybuilder, but I use a wide PL type stance with toes pointed out. I do this because it feels more comfortable/natural than narrow stance.

Alex.V
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
6 o' one, half a dozen of the other. Though the angle is changing, power is being produced by the legs in essentially the same manner regardless of stance. There is a marginal increase in quad emphasis when the stance is narrower, but probably not hugely significant. The way to increase quad emphasis is to force a more upright stance... forward lean engages the hamstrings more. This is one of the main reasons front squats are "better" quad builders. Try 'em all.

bill
05-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks again fella's, I thinks I will start at a low wt. again and work back up as my hips have been killing me and don't want to injure myself. I'm finally making gains in leg muscle so the strength will come, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

tricky
05-26-2004, 02:56 PM
i feel the difference with foot placement more on front squats, wide stance i shift an extra 40kg but i dont necesarily feel it in my thighs,i drop the weight, move my feet to shoulder width and my quads are spent

Saturday Fever
05-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Stance matters not. Mechanics is what matters. Chuck Vogelpohl damn near does the splits when he squats. Brent Mikesell is just about shoulder width. The real determining factor is in your mechanics. Not whether you "stand" like a powerlifter, but whether you "squat" like a powerlifter.

Chicker
05-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I agree with the whatever works for you thing. I prefer a wider stance. :)