PDA

View Full Version : Why is alcohol bad if you wanna build muscle?

notSoBig Guy
10-12-2001, 09:37 PM
Now I know how it's bad in that it dehydrates you and that alcohol has emtpy calories and all, but there's this stupid ass guy I know who works out and drinks frequently but doesn't look all that bad, and when i tell him alcohol is bad if you wanna get bigger and he says "well I've gotten bigger even though I drink, it hasn't affected me." What exactly should I tell him when he says that to me?

He's not my friend, I just know him, but I feel he could be so much more in terms of his physique if he kicked the alcohol.

Thanks in advance.

OverDose
10-12-2001, 10:19 PM
i think its more to do with the after affect, cutting, etc.

syntekz
10-12-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by notSoBig Guy
He's not my friend, I just know him, but I feel he could be so much more in terms of his physique if he kicked the alcohol.

You answered your own question. He COULD be so much more...

notSoBig Guy
10-12-2001, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I guess I did.

I think alcohol is poison, and too many people give in easily to peer pressure, and too many people are f*cking idiots (i.e. my dorm roommates)

Before bodybuilding was a part of my life, I had a low self esteem and felt that I HAD to drink and get drunk to be cool.

I'm so happy those days are long gone, I'm my own person, and very much a rarity amongst the college crowd. Haven't ran into one person yet that lives life as disciplined and dedicated to their sport as I am. I know most of you on this board are also dedicated and displined.

syntekz
10-12-2001, 11:50 PM
I don't think it's wrong to drink and party. I personally like it, and if it wasn't for lifting I probably still would.

I think if done in moderation and if it doesn't affect your lifting; it shouldn't matter.

But, like you said, not everyone is as dedicated as others. Some probably think about lifting affecting when they can start drinking rather than drinking dictated if they can lift or not. :rolleyes:

notSoBig Guy
10-12-2001, 11:53 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with partying and having a good time and having a moderate amount of alcohol. Though many people abuse it to the point where alcohol kills the fun of a party.

I just think the losers are the ones that get piss drunk every weekend and/or some weekdays.

(i.e. my dorm roommates:mad: )

Podium Kreatin
10-13-2001, 12:36 AM
alcohol is bad not just b/c it gets u fat, but it does a lot of stuff too.
first, it slows down ur metabolism, and not just for fat burning processes, but it also includes muscle sythn and the like
it cripples ur brain, which means that ur nuero-motor skills start to get bad, and esp if ur a powerlift, the last thing u want is to not be able to use as much strength as your muscles can handle
i don't drink, but if somebody makes a choice to drink, they should plan that their physical ability's potential is lowered if they do it too much. when nuerons are killed, they dont' come back like other types of cells

body
10-13-2001, 03:26 AM
it decrease quality of sleep. therefore lower HGH and test levels that will not allow him to grow as quick.

think of it this way. if maurice green drank ten pints of beer a day. he would still run faster than me if i abstained from alcohol. But that does not mean, that if if maurice stoped drinking he would not be faster. As he would get quicker.

The alcohol is preventing him form reaching his full potential.

the dehydration effect will not allow you to trian at your full pontetnial. If interefre with other biochemical reactions that may slow down growth. it decrease uptake of certain micronutrients therfore you more likley to be deficient.

saying that i like to go out and have some beer once a week.

YatesNightBlade
10-13-2001, 07:44 AM
It dehydrates you causing muscle breakdown. It robs essential nutriants from your body and it can come with excess calories (beer). It also suppresses appite in more people the following day.

Hot Shot
10-13-2001, 10:45 AM
because alcohol is EVIL:evillaugh

chris mason
10-13-2001, 07:40 PM
I must have a little input here. The general consensus here seems to be that alcohol will dehydrate you, kill brain cells, slow down the body and so on. I think the wrong impression is being given here. Yes, alcohol consumption in excess will cause all of the above symptoms and more, but alcohol in moderation, as syntekz alluded to, will present no such problems. If an athlete has one or 2 drinks every few days there will be no negative repurcussions, especially if the alcohol is consumed within the framework of a balanced diet and does not constitute calories above and beyond those required by the body (which would cause it to become bodyfat). Alcohol is a an energy packed nutrient containing 7 kcals per gram. So, like all things, alcohol consumed in moderation and within the framework of a balanced diet will present no issues for the athlete. Alcohol abuse is what causes problems, and should be avoided.

bigedge
10-13-2001, 11:29 PM
what do you consider alcohol abuse??

me and my mates get sloshed every weekend,

except im just about to give this up, it costs too much money and like you guys say, stuffs you up

Wizard
10-14-2001, 03:55 AM
Alcohool lowers testosterone levels in the body.Too bad.(actually it increases estrogen levels)