PDA

View Full Version : Does excess Protein create Kidney Stones?

Pacificmonarch
05-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi, I was wondering if drinking to much protein can create kidney stones? I am 150lbs but consume about 341 g of protein. I drink lots of water and work out 6 days a week(3 lifting, 3 running). I just don't want to be surprised while pissing in the library or something.

manowar669
05-23-2004, 11:43 AM
If you drink plenty of water, and you don't have any existing medical conditions, shouldn't be a problem. Get enough calcium too. Some think that kidney stones are a result of too much calcium, but strangely, lack of calcium is more frequently the cause. The body tries to compensate for the lack of calcium in the diet by reducing bone density, and calcium deposits form in the kidneys, if not properly flushed. This brings us back to water. Just drink plenty of water.

drew
05-23-2004, 07:26 PM
:withstupi

Oh, and you just all of a sudden piss out a stone. You'll be in plenty of pain long before they even get to your bladder. Pissing them out is the easy part.

Long story short, drink lots of water and no worries.

Optimum08
05-23-2004, 07:35 PM
:withstupi~on the topic of kidney stones, water=safety...

But on another note 341g of protein for a 150 pounder? thats an awful lot man, i would go for about 1g/lb of body weight and maybe 1.5g/lb of body weight, but 2.25 g/lb of body weight your at sounds like an awful lot of overkill...

Pacificmonarch
05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
In a way, it does sound like overkill, but I've been take that much for about 3 months now and had no noticable bad effects(at least that's what i think; that's why i started this thread)

Paladyr
05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
In a way, it does sound like overkill, but I've been take that much for about 3 months now and had no noticable bad effects(at least that's what i think; that's why i started this thread)

Yea but why take the chance??? There's really no need for that much protein.

Pacificmonarch
05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't know. I have been reading all these different weight lifting books and all of them say different things. Also there is no way of not taking the protein b/c I eat 6 meals a day. 3 are from meal supplements which is all ready about 150g plus the normal meals.

drew
05-24-2004, 06:41 PM
At your weight anything over 200g is probably a waste. Is it going to do damage? Probably not. Are you wasting money by eating too much protein? Yup. How much fat/carbs do you get?

Pacificmonarch
05-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Check out my food break down on the "How to build the ultimate fighter's body" Thread