View Full Version : mercury content in sushi fish?

05-23-2004, 05:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew the mercury content in all the different types of sushi fish? Maybe evan know of a site that lists various types of fish and their mercury content. I would like to know because I LOOOOOOve sushi and I do not want to get mercury poisoning so it would be handy to know more about what I am eating.

05-23-2004, 06:19 PM
if you can afford to eat sushi that often dang.... I love sushi but i'd be broke if I ate it whenever I wanted..

05-23-2004, 07:31 PM
hmm i don't think you need to worry about mercury poisoning unless u eat sushi like 3 meals a day for a year (exaggeration) but if u eat enough sushi to get mercury poisoning your probably broke already...

05-23-2004, 09:27 PM
the mercury doesn't come out when you cook the fish....so don't just be worried about sushi.

my advice is just to avoid the large game fish and you'll be fine...and avoid "scallops" because 90% of the things sold as scallop are actually just shark, and 90% of the "crab" on menu's isn't really crab either...

05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
What are the large game fish? does anyone know a site or something that will show me which fish are tiny and which are huge?

08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
I know this is a bit of an old topic, but the highest levels of mercury are found in shark and swordfish. I've got a link somewhere with the levels. I'll find it and post it.

I actually had my mercury tested not too long ago because of the amount of fish (mostly tuna) I was eating. For a period of roughly 5 months I ate a can of albacore tuna 5-6 times per week. In addition to that I ate fish (mostly salmon) for dinner 2-3 nights a week. Prior to that five month stretch I ate fish, but not quite as much. Anything over 14.9 is considered high and my mercury came back at 19. Someone else I know had their mercury tested also and it came back at 44. The doc told me (and him) to not eat fish for 6 months. The biological half life of methylmercury in the blood is anywhere between 40 and 80 days. However, it has a longer half life in the brain.

I'm certainly no doctor, but if you eat fish everday you may want to cut back a little or get your mercury tested.

08-17-2004, 03:10 AM
Is mercury normally in fish or is it from contaminated water ?

08-17-2004, 03:16 AM

What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish
2004 EPA and FDA Advice For:
Women Who Might Become Pregnant
Women Who are Pregnant
Nursing Mothers
Young Children

Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. Fish and shellfish contain high-quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat, and contain omega-3 fatty acids. A well-balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development. So, women and young children in particular should include fish or shellfish in their diets due to the many nutritional benefits.

However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish. Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions.

What is mercury and methylmercury?"

Mercury occurs naturally in the environment and can also be released into the air through industrial pollution. Mercury falls from the air and can accumulate in streams and oceans and is turned into methylmercury in the water. It is this type of mercury that can be harmful to your unborn baby and young child. Fish absorb the methylmercury as they feed in these waters and so it builds up in them. It builds up more in some types of fish and shellfish than others, depending on what the fish eat, which is why the levels vary.

"Is there methylmercury in all fish and shellfish?"
Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of methylmercury. However, larger fish that have lived longer have the highest levels of methylmercury because they've had more time to accumulate it. These large fish (swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish) pose the greatest risk. Other types of fish and shellfish may be eaten in the amounts recommended by FDA and EPA.