PDA

View Full Version : I cant lose weight! Can someone tell me what im doing wrong?!

Songbird
05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Well about 3 weeks ago I started doing tae bo and playing tennis. I have also cutout all cokes and almost all junk food except for something sweet once on the weekend. I have cut my caloric intake down to around 1500. Sometimes it is higher and sometimes it is lower.

My point is that I have been this weight for a while and that was even when I ate all sorts of junk, dranks cokes, and didnt exercise. Now that I am taking care of my body it doesnt wanna lose weight! I am stuck at 204 pounds.

In march I was 212 pounds and I lost most of the weight to get down to 204 by just cutting back here and there. Now that I am really taking it serious I am getting 0 results. :bang:

When is the best time to do cardio? How many calories a day should I be getting? Should I be spacing the calories out?

Thanks

wibble
05-24-2004, 10:21 AM
You need to eat more calories. Try to eat small meals 6 times per day to get your metabolism going because its probably near stopped from eating so little. Try eating about 2500-2700cals and doing cardio. Doesn't really matter when but some people swear by doing it in the morning when they first get up. If this doesn't get the weight dropping again you might want to try incorporating refeeds. I'm sure someone with a little more experience in the cutting department will add their opinion and be able to help you more. Thought I'd just post a few guidelines. :)

Shao-LiN
05-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Like wibble, I'd say you're eating too few calories and your body has gone into survival mode and slowed your metabolism.

AllUp
05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Eat at maintenence calories for a week and a half to fix the problem.
After you're done eating normal drop the calories for the week and have a refeed for a day on the weekend where you eat a bit more than maintenence, rinse, repeat. <This worked well for me while doing Ultimate Diet 2.

You can also try switching up your routine a little, to throw your body a curveball. :)

geoffgarcia
05-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Songbird -ala fleetwood mac?
anyway, are you counting your calories? if not start there
#2, 1500 calories doesn't sound appropriate at all...

Songbird
05-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Well I just read part of the book "Dieting for dummies" and it had me calculate my numbers together for exercise and bodyweight and digestion needs and it basically said that I need around 3300 calories a day just to maintain my current weight. This was factoring in that I play tennis almost everyday and do tae bo everyday.

It said to lose weight I need to cut that number by 500 cals a day for one week to lose 1 pound of fat. It says for every 500 cals a day you cut that will equal 1 pound of fat loss a week.

I was getting around 1500 total and then exercising a lot. You guys are right. it looks like that was my major problem. I need to up my caloric intake quite a bit it looks like. I will also try and eat smaller meals throughout the day.

I hope I can get something going on this. :thumbup:

- geoff, my name is actually from an Oasis song that I really like. :)

Rock
05-24-2004, 12:05 PM
say hello to mister brown rice!

wibble
05-24-2004, 12:07 PM
:hello:

Thats your name from now on Rock. ;)

geoffgarcia
05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
ps, depending on how long you've been doing the low calorie thing, your metabolism will have slowed down considerably....if you jump right up to 3000 calories you will put on weight...so be prepared for that...you could try to offset the slow metabolism by taking some metabolism boosting pills such as an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin)

Songbird
05-24-2004, 01:24 PM
ps, depending on how long you've been doing the low calorie thing, your metabolism will have slowed down considerably....if you jump right up to 3000 calories you will put on weight...so be prepared for that...you could try to offset the slow metabolism by taking some metabolism boosting pills such as an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin)

I had actually thougth of that but keep in mind that I am not going back up to 3000+ cals. That was what I needed just to maintain my current weight given my exercise schedule. I have shaved off 1000 cals from that for a goal of 2 pounds weight loss per week. I have now set my goals on getting around 2300 cals a day. This will give me an extra 800 cals a day to work with. Hopefully that will be enough so that my metabolism will eventually get back to normal. I will give that a week or two and see where it gets me.

Growth
05-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I began cutting a while ago and didnt see any results for a while. Then i decided to really concentrate on the diet. I have 3 meals a day, and in between snack on fruit and/or veggies. I only noticed significant improvement when i droped my cals right down. I used to aim for around 2500 but now it would be considirably less. I try to eat alot of food whilst keeping the calories at a minimum. That way your metabolism is going all day whilst keeping low calories. If your serious i think u gota really make an effort, switch to low fat milk, no sugars, no coke etc, dont be tempted to eat anything sweet etc etc. My strength hasnt even suffered from such a low calorie intake either, at the top of my bulk i was lifting big, then i rested, started my cut and it droped rapidly. However now im heading back to the same strength levels as at the end on my bulk, with even more reps for the same weight, im visisbly less fat, and still cutting!!!.