PDA

View Full Version : A fitness newbie trying to learn the ropes...

robinhood
05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm just getting into trying to get myself into better shape after 4 years of college and you know what that means. My goal is to first lose some weight then try to get toned up. I am 6'2" and I close to 230 lbs (226 to be exact). I got to the gym/cardio as it is 3x a week but Im sure my dieting habits of old virtually negate my efforts. Im a very driven person so if I can get some direction I believe I can take it to the max. What I need though is maybe some insight as to what I should be shopping for when I go to stock the cupboards and the fridge. A general shopping list would be great. Maybe some kind of a diet plan too would help. I've been cruising around the forums looking for related posts but the only plans I can seem to find are for the big dogs who are bulking up. Thats not what I'm trying to do now. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

fishbrains
05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Well here are some answers to your questions (the more experienced members can help you out more than I)

Do a search on cutting.

You missed a big sticky called (what a bodybuilder eats): http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

Cardio is definetly good: I would be losing much more weight and would be alot leaner if i did some exercise! :)

Cutting is basically calorie intake. Most of the time your calorie intake in order to lose weight is Body weight X 12 = Calories needed.

Then get a subscription (free) to www.fitday.com and create a diet based on your calorie structure and blah blah.

geoffgarcia
05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
dietorganizer>fitday

Helpful tips to stick to a diet
1. prepare your own meals (eat out as infrequently as possible)
2. measure every portion (or weigh)
3. write down what/how much you eat (fitday.com, dietorganizer.com)
4. don't buy anything at the grocery store that doesn't fit your diet
5. at the end of the week check your averages and adjust your diet
6. for ease of cooking/tracking try to avoid variety and cook in bulk

protein: powders, eggs, chicken/turkey, fish
carbs: vegetables/fruits (for phytos), oats (whole, steel, rolled, instant: in order of benefit)
fats: olive, fish, flax, udos, hemp

Fat Loss Diet "how to" (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/fatlossdiet.htm)

robinhood
05-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Then get a subscription (free) to www.fitday.com and create a diet based on your calorie structure and blah blah.

Thanks for the link to fitday. That site is pretty awesome. It should make things a lot easier.