PDA

View Full Version : Carbs: Whats the truth?

Coleman
05-24-2004, 10:20 PM
With all this Atkins and low carb stuff going on I don't know what to believe. Are carbs not a good thing to eat? I have been trying to cut down on the amount of sugar and white bread and rice I eat because I heard those types of carbs are the worst for you. What type is that anyway?

What is a good amount of carbs to eat during one day?

Shao-LiN
05-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Carbs aren't bad for you. Low carb diets just take advantage of a few metabolic tricks that can help you drop the fat easier, but you can definately lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle with carbs. We're all still alive, hehe. In any event, cutting out the excess sugar from your diet is a good start.

As to how the amount of carbs to eat during a day, that depends on your goals and how your body reacts to them.

TheGimp
05-25-2004, 02:33 AM
They both have their uses. I have recently finished a bulking cycle using a high carbohydrate diet (25pro/50carb/25fat) and am now cutting using UD2.0, a low carb diet featuring carb loading. (10% of cals from carbs is what I'm using).

Cutting down on sugary foods is good, like sweets and soda. Fruit is still acceptable however. Wholewheat bread is a lot better than white (more fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients) and the same for brown rice over white. People say things like sugar, white bread and rice are bad because they are quickly digested and can cause sugar crashes making it hard to control appetite.

SquareHead
05-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Too much of anything is bad. Too many carbs, too much fat, too many sugars. While almost anything is fine in moderation (within reason). Carbs are not inherently bad, that said not all carbs are the same either. Sugar is a carb, whole wheat bread has carbs is one more healthy than the other? If you eat a balanced diet protein, carbs, and fat while keeping calories appropriate to you level of your activity you are going to be fine.

In a well thought out plan that mixes exercise and diet controlling carbs one can loose weight for sure. The idea is not though just to totally avoid carbs but to control stored glycogen with the goal or converting fat into energy. So it is not that carbs are bad just that by restricting them effectively you can make some metabolic changes that can enable you to cut some fat.

That said a well rounded diet, calorie deficit and increased cardio and weight training are also a great way to loose fat and is almost indisputably healthy.

Anybody have any good fart jokes? Sorry this post was just way too serious for me.