PDA

View Full Version : farmed fish is bad?

vegetapower
05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Why is farmed fish bad? I heard it has less mercury in it?

JTyrell710
05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
more mecury isnt it?

Berserker
05-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Becuase PETA doesn't fish raised in captivity.

manowar669
05-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Farmed fish are raised on the cheapest diet they can be fed to get them as big as possible. Some argue that the fish are less nutritious because their diet is not as varied as wild fish. Imagine if you could, that all you had to eat was rice. You could live on it, and you could even get big and fat, but you wouldn't be very healthy.

txterry
09-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Ive read that farmed fish contain high concentrations of flame re-tardant chemicals (leached through the soils from matresses, waste products..) Apparently this finds it way more readily into the areas where fish are farmed.

As to the post about farmed fish being fed the least nutrutious food, I think its only partially true - all chicken meat bought in grocery stores is from farmed chickens and we do not have a problem eating farmed chicken meat and getting our protein from it.

Minotaur
09-30-2004, 08:01 AM
There's a difference in the taste and color of wild salmon. It's more intense than farm-raised salmon. When my supermarket has wild salmon, I'll grab it. But on the whole, I don't worry about the supposed down sides to farm-raised fish.

ozzyman
09-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I've always understood farmed raised fish don't have as much beneficial fish oil due to their diet.

Aspect
10-01-2004, 04:45 AM
As to the post about farmed fish being fed the least nutrutious food, I think its only partially true - all chicken meat bought in grocery stores is from farmed chickens and we do not have a problem eating farmed chicken meat and getting our protein from it.

True so far as it goes, but there are different types of farming - and a barn-bred battery chicken is quite different to an organic, outdoor-reared chicken. Not an exact comparison to farmed vs. wild salmon, but it's a fairly apt analogy.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with eating farmed salmon, just that there is a difference should that worry you.

sublime99
10-01-2004, 07:36 AM
I don't know about all this fish diet stuff but i do know that farm raised catfish are mighty tasty.

PizDoff
10-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Farmed fishes have a higher incidence of PCBs. Much higher.
Not at a toxic level but it does add up over and over time.

Fresh/wild salmon taste better to me anyways.
Never had the catfish as far as I can recall.

Becuase PETA doesn't fish raised in captivity.

Hahahah!