PDA

View Full Version : Alchohol and Testosterone??

JTyrell710
05-25-2004, 09:48 PM
I was reading some website for information on alchohol and i found this

Not only does alcohol put the brakes on fat loss, it's also one of the most effective ways to slash your testosterone levels. Just a single bout of heavy drinking raises levels of the muscle-wasting hormone cortisol and increases the breakdown of testosterone for up to 24 hours [6]. The damaging effects of alcohol on testosterone are made even worse when you exercise before drinking [1].

The effect of alcohol on testosterone could be one reason that people who drink a lot carry less muscle. In fact, a 1993 study shows that alcoholic men have bigger waists and smaller muscles than teetotalers [2].

does anyone know if this is true? some of it seems unlikely, and the site seemed like it was run with $$ in mind.

HahnB
05-25-2004, 09:54 PM
I think we can all agree that getting wasted on a continuous basis isn't going to help anyones training. Keep in mind though, ANYONE can print ANYTHING they want on the internet.

JTyrell710
05-25-2004, 09:58 PM
I kno getting wasted isnt gonna help you and such, and i wouldnt even mind fat gain that came with alchohol- but how much does it lower testostrone, or does it at all- thats what im worried about.

TheGimp
05-25-2004, 11:39 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14519515

To this end, ethanol (3 g/kg i.p., 15% v/v in saline) was administered to adult male rats for 10 days. Serum levels of LH and testosterone were significantly decreased by ethanol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12878927

BACKGROUND: Previous studies have reported associations between human alcohol drinking and testosterone levels. METHODS: In this study we investigated serum testosterone concentrations without and under the influence of alcohol in alcohol-preferring (AA) and nonpreferring (ANA) rat lines ... The high alcohol dose decreased the testosterone concentrations of both the AA and the ANA rats (p = 0.001-0.01)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12711931

BACKGROUND: Heavy acute alcohol drinking decreases blood testosterone in men due to an effect on the testicular level. An acute increase in blood testosterone levels after a low alcohol dose has, however, recently been reported in women. The objective of this investigation was to study the effect of a low alcohol dose on testosterone in men ... RESULTS: After intake of alcohol (0.5 g/kg, 10% w/v), an acute increase in plasma testosterone (from 13.5 +/- 1.2 nmol/liter to 16.0 +/- 1.6 nmol/liter, mean +/- SEM; p < 0.05), a decrease in androstenedione (from 5.1 +/- 0.4 nmol/liter to 4.0 +/- 0.3 nmol/liter; p < 0.05), and an increase in the testosterone:androstenedione ratio (from 2.8 +/- 0.3 to 4.2 +/- 0.4; p < 0.01) were observed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12645180

Drugs of abuse, like alcohol, opiates, cocaine and cannabis, are used by many young people for their presumed aphrodisiac properties. It is well known, instead, that, apart from the subjective effects, they negatively affect the sexual response. Alcohol has direct toxic effects on the gonads (testes and ovaries) and the liver (it increases the catabolism of testosterone and its transformation in estrogens).

That's just a sample of the many studies on this at www.pubmed.com. What's the website and what are the sources he is citing for [1] and [6] ?

Berserker
05-26-2004, 05:17 AM
I have never had alcohol injected in my neck so I don't know. I drink alot more then I should, I am guessing my test levels are fine. As far fat goes, same as eating to much. You got to burn more then you take in.

v8firebird
05-26-2004, 07:55 AM
You have to decide how serious you want to be with training. If you are really serious about putting on muscle than you probably should stop drinking. For many it is not worth it, and thats fine, but you will have to realize that this means your gains may not be quite as good. I know that I use to get S-faced all the time, but I haven't for a long time because of alcohols effects on test.