PDA

View Full Version : Eating routine, stumped

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I got a question about my eatting habits.

I am 22 145lbs, and 5'7".

I have just begun to work out again, after a two year absense (girlfriend :) )

anyway i have begun trying to get healthy as I am told that is the way that I will gain mass in addition to working out.

This is what I have been eating:

8:00 Breakfast:
Oatmeal (flavored, instant)
Apple Juice
Water

12:00 Lunch:
Subway
Turkey/Ckn teri/Roastbeef or meatball
Lettuce, green peppers, carrots, toms, japs, onions
sweet onion dress/mayo/ or hun must
honey oat/wheat/ or italian bread

5:00 snack:
Jelly on a english muffin

6:00 GYM

7-7:30 Protein Shake, glutamine + Flax Seed Oil

8 Dinner:
Ckn/Stk
Carb: Rice, Potatoes
bbq sauce

My problem is two fold.
from 8 - 4:30 i am at work in an office.
I do not have access to food until lunch, an dI am only given a 1/2 hour to eat. thats just enough time to get a sub and drive back.

I brought the oatmeal to work so i have that when i get to work.

I get hungry at the following times: 11, 3, and 9-10 (althought i go to bed at 11ish so i try not to eat that late)

I wanted to know what I should do to maximize my workout with my routine. What foods can i incorporate, what I am doing wrong and what I can eat inbetween to fufill my hunger.

Thanks

Bboy

P.S. i am working out to gain mass and size mostly in my chest.

TheGimp
05-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Hmm where to start :)

Breakfast:
Change to proper oatmeal and lose the juice. I've got nothing against fruit, but have the whole fruit.

Lunch:
Take some food in tupperware containers. Take some sandwiches (lean lunch meat on wholewheat bread?) Take a can of tuna. Take some fruit.

Snack:
Replace this with something completely different :)

Shake:
Use fish oil instead of flax and I don't think glutamine is worth the money but each to their own.

Dinner:
Add some veggies

There's nothing wrong with eating late (unless you have problems falling asleep on a full stomach?) and you should in fact be having some slow digesting protein before bed such as cottage cheese or a casein shake to prevent catabolism.

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for some food ideas.

Max-Mex
05-26-2004, 07:26 AM
So what are you going to do if the mass goes mostly to everything else except your chest?

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Well that is what always happens. my shoulders and arms balloon up but not my chest. so i am trying to concentrate harder on my chest than i did. Push it harder then I have while still maintaining intensity on the rest of my body.

but i mean if i get bigger ill be happy, its just my chest is my problem area.

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Hmm where to start

Breakfast:
Change to proper oatmeal and lose the juice. I've got nothing against fruit, but have the whole fruit.
Lunch:
Take some food in tupperware containers. Take some sandwiches (lean lunch meat on wholewheat bread?) Take a can of tuna. Take some fruit.

Snack:
Replace this with something completely different

Shake:
Use fish oil instead of flax and I don't think glutamine is worth the money but each to their own.

Dinner:
Add some veggies

There's nothing wrong with eating late (unless you have problems falling asleep on a full stomach?) and you should in fact be having some slow digesting protein before bed such as cottage cheese or a casein shake to prevent catabolism.

So use real oatmeal and fruit. I just hate buying perishable foodstuffs. Also I only have like 10 minutes to prepare anything for breakfast so that is a mjor consideration.

Lunch: besides the fruit and tuna i fail to see the difference in making a sandwich at home and buying a foot long sub with a lot of veggies in it?

Snack: What would that something different be?

whats the diff in fish oil and flax oil?

are frozen veggies good, cuz id rather buy thoses than fresh perishable.

Since i am not a big fruit person, if i eat cottage cheese and peaches would that be good for a before bed snack?

thanks!

TheGimp
05-26-2004, 08:16 AM
So use real oatmeal and fruit. I just hate buying perishable foodstuffs. Also I only have like 10 minutes to prepare anything for breakfast so that is a mjor consideration.

Make it a small glass of juice then or just don't have it at all :). You could try making something for breakfast the night before or getting up earlier. I am just concerned that the instant oatmeal might contain all kinds of unpleasant additives and sugar.

Lunch: besides the fruit and tuna i fail to see the difference in making a sandwich at home and buying a foot long sub with a lot of veggies in it?

This was merely a suggestion to take a packed lunch and a few ideas. You say you get hungry midmorning and in the afternoon but only eat at lunch. Taking your own food will also allow you to have greater control over the nutritional content.

Snack: What would that something different be?

Check the sticky at the top of the forum for more food ideas. Jelly on an english muffin is getting dangerously close to empty calories.

whats the diff in fish oil and flax oil?

Flax oil is in the form of ALA/LA which needs to be converted to EPA/DHA. This is a very inefficient process. Fish oil on the other hand is already in the form of EPA/DHA.

are frozen veggies good, cuz id rather buy thoses than fresh perishable.

Yup, frozen veggies are great, easy to prepare and they should be frozen soon after picking so pretty fresh too.

Since i am not a big fruit person, if i eat cottage cheese and peaches would that be good for a before bed snack?

Sounds good. The fruit is really only a suggestion for general health. It shouldn't make any real impact on body building if you really don't want it.

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 08:45 AM
a few more questions then:

real oatmeal, can that be made in boiling water? (or microwave water) like instant or nah?

Is there any "snacks" i could purchase and store at my office at work that would help, I would bring Tuna to work but it would stink up the place.

The jelly on english was something i read to eat preworkout so that your body doesnt spend all the time digesting food and not working on the workout.

Ill switch to Fish oil when my Flax seed is finished.

just outta curiosity why are you so anti applejuice. I thought juice was really good for you?

TheGimp
05-26-2004, 09:01 AM
real oatmeal, can that be made in boiling water? (or microwave water) like instant or nah?
Yes I make mine the microwave, just pour in some water and nuke it for a few minutes.

Is there any "snacks" i could purchase and store at my office at work that would help, I would bring Tuna to work but it would stink up the place.
Some nuts would be good - healthy source of fat and decent protein. You could try some home made protein bars - check out the recipe forum. I take a packed lunch every day so I'm having trouble coming up with long life stuff to suggest.

The jelly on english was something i read to eat preworkout so that your body doesnt spend all the time digesting food and not working on the workout.
Ah I see now. Yes I suppose this would be good for pre-workout nutrition, might want to have a scoop of whey with it as well.

just outta curiosity why are you so anti applejuice. I thought juice was really good for you?
Maybe it's just me, but the only thing I drink is water. Like I said I have nothing against fruit but I'd prefer an apple over a glass of apple juice any day. The apple will keep me fuller thanks to the fiber content. I am unsure about things such as vitamins and mineral content.

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Ah I see now. Yes I suppose this would be good for pre-workout nutrition, might want to have a scoop of whey with it as well.

Maybe it's just me, but the only thing I drink is water. Like I said I have nothing against fruit but I'd prefer an apple over a glass of apple juice any day. The apple will keep me fuller thanks to the fiber content. I am unsure about things such as vitamins and mineral content.

Really Whey before my workout and not after? I was told afterwards, i mix whey, glutamine and flax oil, then about 20 - 30 min later i have a meal (im mad hungry at that point)

I drink water all throughout the day except the juice. i have a 1qt (dunno how much that is in cups) container that i fill up 3 times daily while at work.

i also take a multivitamin with my juice.

ok well i do have a can of iced tea with dinner, just for flavor. (not great but i enjoy it, and i recently gave up soda, so im adjusting).

TheGimp
05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
No, I meant in addition to your post workout shake, so you have a supply of protein right when you're finished.

EDIT: and yea about the juice, I'm sure it won't make too a big a difference, just a suggestion if you want to tweak all the little things.

prof
05-26-2004, 09:19 AM
you need some protein with that breakfast

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 09:22 AM
prof what would you suggest that would be quick or easy to get.
unfortunately i have a 30 - 40 min commute in the morning and i wake up at 6:50 to get ready which gives me little to no time to prepare anything.

and Gimp i didnt know you could do that, i always thought that i would just be overloading and pissing out the excess?

prof
05-26-2004, 09:27 AM
ok i eat unrefined oats, like scotts porridge oats with a mix of wheatgerm in
with water nuked in the mircowave for 2 mins :micro:

then either an omlette with approx 6 eggs in it 3 yolks

or tin of tuna

some lowish Gi tinned fruit or apple

and gulp of flax or 4 fish oil caps

somedays i mix the fruit and tuna in the same bowl, sounds nasty but i hate tuna now after eating so much of it

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 09:49 AM
tinned? that the same as canned?
are you from the UK?
unfortunately i do not have the time for omelettes in the morning. I was actually going to start making eggs with my pre workout meal. (omelette and hot peppers) + (egg muffin and jelly)

prof
05-26-2004, 09:56 AM
yup UK

ok then microwave the eggs, canned=tinned but you can have fresh, cook up some chicken breasts the night before etc. it's easy really

Bill Philips, although i believe he is really simon cowell from american/pop idol
actually made some sense in "body for life" [cringe] where he says at each meal get a fist sized portion of carbs and protein, he forgot about good fats but you can't have everything eh!

pre workout meal should be somehing light and easliy digested or you will puke

i have whey and glucose before and after training

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 11:55 AM
glucose?

Max-Mex
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Well that is what always happens. my shoulders and arms balloon up but not my chest. so i am trying to concentrate harder on my chest than i did. Push it harder then I have while still maintaining intensity on the rest of my body.

but i mean if i get bigger ill be happy, its just my chest is my problem area.

Seems more like a form issue if you arms and shoulders are getting bigger and not your chest. That's for another forum however.

Bboy486
05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
yea i have trainers helping me for a few months to see where my problem lies

Rastaman
05-26-2004, 02:15 PM
you need some protein with that breakfast

Prof beat me to it. If you're trying to put on mass the most important part of your diet will be your protein intake. You absolutely need protein in your first meal of the day. I would suggest omelettes, like the prof, or if you don't have time for that, make some egg sandwiches the night before and throw them in the fridge. If you don't have time for either, I would suggest at least a whey shake along with your oatmeal.

prof
05-27-2004, 02:51 AM
please read these articles, you don't have to follow all of it just learn

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

glucose=dextrose. simple carb ideal for pre and post workout shakes[+ protein of course]