PDA

View Full Version : Hardgainer, running out of options.

wannabbig
05-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Hello,
Im having a terrible time gaining weight, Ive tried stuffing my face with food and stuffing it some more, to no avail.Some days I would stack it with 2500cal+ eating about every 2-3 hours. Supps I've tried em, from the Portein shakes to the Weightgainers. Im standing 5'6" with a sad 125lbs body. I've bought all the muscle magazines, went to the sites, searched here for peoples expirences with those products and none were promissing. Lift 15-30min every week and have 13.5 biseps. That is the only thing im proud of.
Any help would be great.

Jasonl
05-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Well if you're not gaining at 2500 cals, you just solved your problem right there. Try 3000 cals, if that doesn't work, add some more. You will gain weight eventually, it just takes time finding your exact caloric needs.
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php?osCsid=4b58fcf91895e47f9ddd858805719396
^Read this article, it should be quite helpful in your quest to put on those elusive pounds.

Augury
05-26-2004, 06:16 PM
he speaks true things.

Its a basic law of physics. You are a closed box. Food goes in one end and out the other. the difference between what goes in and what goes out is what you burn up (and a few colour and aroma changes).

if you double what you put in and still use up the same energy as before...you WILL gain weight. honestly. really. promise. Just keep upping the calories by 250 per week (or 500 if you really dont think it will work) and one day soon you will go up.

Augs.

geoffgarcia
05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
how much fat are you getting in during a day?
if your not gaining weight then just jack up your fat as it stimulates the anabolic state.

Recommended for maximum metabolic shifts into an anabolic condition.
(Especially recommend for ECTOMORPH's or people complaining they can never gain muscle mass.)

Grams of EFA per day
130-150lbs 125 grams
150lbs -180lbs 150 grams
180lbs -225 lbs 175 grams

WillKuenzel
05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Track your diet every day here:
www.fitday.com

Know exactly how many calories you are eating at the end of the day. If you haven't gained a half a pound to a pound by the end of the week. You'll know to increase your daily average of calories. Being a hardgainer doesn't mean you can't put on weight. It just means you have to eat more than the average or extra average person to do it.

wannabbig
05-26-2004, 07:00 PM
My intake would be something like this:
Calories : 2500
Protein : 300g
Carbs : 225g
Fat 50g

JTyrell710
05-26-2004, 07:37 PM
eat more frickin carbs and fat, u dont need so much protein- if u cant eat enough clean, eat junk- its better then only 2500 calories, i think i had close to 1500 my last meal and im tiny.

Berserker
05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Eat more red meat, cheese, pb, pastas. Those got some calls. Again I don't think 2500 is that much.

Jasonl
05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
You do need quite a bit more fat and carbs. Go to the store, buy several large bottles of fish oil caps, lots of whole wheat bread/bagles, fruits, veggies, and nuts. Eat like there is no tomorrow. Don't worry, at first the eating may seem grueling, but you will soon learn to love it.:)

TOBART
05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago. I gained a bit when I first started lifting just because of the huge change in the intake of food and the fact I was actually doing things right at the gym. Then I stayed around 130lbs for almost 2 months while eating just as big and training just as hard. I found that I was trying too hard to get protien and calories and I wasn't getting near enough carbs. I started eating a lot more fruits and vegetables. Not only did I get the carbs my body requires, I also seemed to be hungrier more often which is really good in my situation.

wannabbig
05-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago. I gained a bit when I first started lifting just because of the huge change in the intake of food and the fact I was actually doing things right at the gym. Then I stayed around 130lbs for almost 2 months while eating just as big and training just as hard. I found that I was trying too hard to get protien and calories and I wasn't getting near enough carbs. I started eating a lot more fruits and vegetables. Not only did I get the carbs my body requires, I also seemed to be hungrier more often which is really good in my situation.

Yea I've also been experiencing that. I get hungry more often throughout the day.

Ironman15
05-26-2004, 11:16 PM
I've been in your shoes. I use to be 5'6" 114 lbs. Then thanks to the power of milk, I gained about 20lbs (obviously plus weight training and eating more as well). Now I'm about 140ish. I eat about 3500-4000 calories a day. The easiest way for me to get all of those calories is whole milk. Try to drink atleast half a gallon a day and you'll gain weight in no time.

prof
05-27-2004, 02:47 AM
just add 1 more meal a day, you have plenty of protein, so thats good,

more carbs and fat as everyone has said, easy really, Hardgainers=undereaters 90% of the time

SquareHead
05-27-2004, 03:01 AM
Wannabbig, so many people think they are doing everything they can to gain weight and muscle. They believe they are separated from the rest of humanity by some mysterious force that negates the laws of science and nature from applying within bodies.

Not the case. If you seriously want to put on weight and you want muscle mass increases do the following.

1. I think HomeYeild said it already go to fitday.com, track everything you eat.
2. Start a journal put your meals every day and your fitday breakdown. You will get some great advice from lots of people on this board who are willing to help. In this journal you should do the above and post meals, weekly post your weight, and also post your training on training days.

In your journal people will make suggestions about your diet and changes to your routine or help you to write your routine. If you do all of these things you WILL gain weight.

Vido
05-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Hardgainers=undereaters 90% of the time

...and that's being generous. Seriously, if you're not gaining on 2500 calories, that clearly isn't enough. I know I'd be starving on 2500 cals, but not everyone is me. I've suggested the following to all of my friends that also claim to be "hardgainers", but can't stomach anymore food: Throw in 10tbsp of olive oil or natty pb to your current diet, and that's another 1000-1250cals right there. I don't know who couldn't eat 10 tbsp of pb over the course of a day, it's delicious. If you really can't down anymore whole food, then olive oil is a liquid for christ's sake...anyone can have an extra 30mL of liquid with each of their meals. Somehow none of my friends follow this suggestion, and funny how none of them grow, yet they still keep whining.

wannabbig
05-27-2004, 05:45 PM
...and that's being generous. Seriously, if you're not gaining on 2500 calories, that clearly isn't enough. I know I'd be starving on 2500 cals, but not everyone is me. I've suggested the following to all of my friends that also claim to be "hardgainers", but can't stomach anymore food: Throw in 10tbsp of olive oil or natty pb to your current diet, and that's another 1000-1250cals right there. I don't know who couldn't eat 10 tbsp of pb over the course of a day, it's delicious. If you really can't down anymore whole food, then olive oil is a liquid for christ's sake...anyone can have an extra 30mL of liquid with each of their meals. Somehow none of my friends follow this suggestion, and funny how none of them grow, yet they still keep whining.

I eat chocolate(like nutella) theres about 550cal in 2 spoons. So I think I will have to go out and get some peanut butter. Also throw in another meal or two like prof said. I keep a pad near the fridge and jot down everything I eat, and thats how I know Im eating 2500Cal. Journal is my next step.
Thanks alot for everyones input. :strong:

geoffgarcia
05-27-2004, 06:33 PM
you seemed to miss the point about adequate amounts of fat in a diet...

JTyrell710
05-27-2004, 06:40 PM
eat at least 3500 cals in a day, i want 400+grams of carbs in there too, i want 100+g of fat, and around 100-120 g of protein. DO that. Now.
I promise you my friend, you will gain weight-

someone show my friend wannabebig here, paul stagg's quote on eating

Maki Riddington
05-27-2004, 08:03 PM
how much fat are you getting in during a day?
if your not gaining weight then just jack up your fat as it stimulates the anabolic state.

*** What is that quote based on? The one you copy and pasted.

jimlynch11
05-27-2004, 10:12 PM

And what sort of anabolic state would this amount of fat create? It seems like it would create alot of body fat gains...That'd be like an additional 1000 calories of fat for me, is this really necessary? Right now I'm getting like 50-75 grams of fat a day, mostly EFAs.

Feminator
05-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Eat more. 2500 is what I eat to LOSE weight.

geoffgarcia
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
http://proteinfactory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=59
These numbers are high on purpose and are over the top for the avg individual.

And what sort of anabolic state would this amount of fat create?
It seems like it would create alot of body fat gains...That'd be like an additional 1000 calories of fat for me, is this really necessary?
Right now I'm getting like 50-75 grams of fat a day, mostly EFAs.
I'm not sure what you mean by "what sort of anabolic state"?
Are you gaining weight on your current intake?
If not, boost ur fat.
IMHO 50 is way to low for you. and at 6' 175 on a bulk I would think you'd want to be hitting closer to 130-140. I know I would.
Dont confuse dietary fat with body fat gains.
Fat is linked to hormone release...don't take enough and your body will fizzle...50g intake per day is in the fizzle ballpark.

prof
05-28-2004, 09:23 AM
just re read the post.....you say that you "Lift 15-30min every week"

think that could be your problem you need to spend more time in the gym, try the WBB1 programm, start a journal and people will help you, eat more and post back here in 6 weeks

geoffgarcia
05-28-2004, 10:09 AM
data are consistent with the findings of several other investigations that have reported a decrease in T in individuals consuming a diet containing ~20% fat compared with a diet containing ~40% fat (7, 9, 13, 25).

In this study, MUFA (g 1,000 kcal1 day1) and SFA (g 1,000 kcal1 day1) were the strongest predictors of T, accounting for 62 and 59% of the shared variance in T concentrations, respectively. These findings are particularly important for athletes training intensely who may experience a decline in T concentrations due to overtraining. Furthermore, this scenario may be exacerbated by a diet very low in fat, which many athletes (e.g., wrestlers, gymnasts, etc.) consume.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49

JTyrell710
05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
too many people confuse fat with body fat, i am one of them
as i understand- dietary fat is just something that is more likely to be converted to fat, instead of energy?

geoffgarcia
05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
too many people confuse fat with body fat, i am one of them
as i understand- dietary fat is just something that is more likely to be converted to fat, instead of energy?
did you forget about the testosterone increases attributed to a higher fat diet?

The production of your testosterone on a bulk outweighs any negative impact of a higher fat diet. If your not gaining weight, high fat is your answer.

here are some things that make your statement partially true.

"fats don't convert efficiently to glucose, and therefore are not an efficient energy source for your muscles."

"It takes 20% more energy for the body to convert carbohydrates or protein to body fat than it does to convert dietary fat to body fat"

"A reduction in dietary fat without a reduction in total calories or an increase of physical activity only produces small if any changes in body fat mass (Leibel 1992). "

"After a meal, any carbohydrates that your body doesn't immediately make into blood glucose for energy is stored as glycogen. But the cells that store glycogen can hold only a limited amount. Once they're filled, the overflow is changed to fat and routed to fat cells. Excess protein that's not needed to build and maintain your body or to meet energy demands is also changed into fat and stored. The unused calories from dietary fat and alcohol also are converted into body fat. Body fat, then, is the stored form of excess calories from any food source."

"if you eat 100 excess calories of fat, your body may burn just 3 calories in the conversion process, leaving 97 calories to be stored as fat. On the other hand, the body may burn 23 of 100 excess calories from carbohydrate during the process of turning it into fat. This leaves 77 calories to store."

wannabbig
06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
just re read the post.....you say that you "Lift 15-30min every week"

think that could be your problem you need to spend more time in the gym, try the WBB1 programm, start a journal and people will help you, eat more and post back here in 6 weeks

If I work out more, wont that burn more calories? I burn enough climbing up the stairs to my room.

Vido
06-01-2004, 07:03 PM
It will burn more calories, but will also provide more stimulus for growth, assuming you get your diet in check. It is very easy to make up for the burnt calories by just eating more. An hour training session could probably burn anywhere from 250-1000 calories. It takes no more than 5 minutes to eat this many calories.

JTyrell710
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
did you forget about the testosterone increases attributed to a higher fat diet?

The production of your testosterone on a bulk outweighs any negative impact of a higher fat diet. If your not gaining weight, high fat is your answer.

here are some things that make your statement partially true.

"fats don't convert efficiently to glucose, and therefore are not an efficient energy source for your muscles."

"It takes 20% more energy for the body to convert carbohydrates or protein to body fat than it does to convert dietary fat to body fat"

"A reduction in dietary fat without a reduction in total calories or an increase of physical activity only produces small if any changes in body fat mass (Leibel 1992). "

"After a meal, any carbohydrates that your body doesn't immediately make into blood glucose for energy is stored as glycogen. But the cells that store glycogen can hold only a limited amount. Once they're filled, the overflow is changed to fat and routed to fat cells. Excess protein that's not needed to build and maintain your body or to meet energy demands is also changed into fat and stored. The unused calories from dietary fat and alcohol also are converted into body fat. Body fat, then, is the stored form of excess calories from any food source."

"if you eat 100 excess calories of fat, your body may burn just 3 calories in the conversion process, leaving 97 calories to be stored as fat. On the other hand, the body may burn 23 of 100 excess calories from carbohydrate during the process of turning it into fat. This leaves 77 calories to store."

Geoff, thanks first of all
few questions
i kno fat increases your testosterone, but doesnt protein decrease you testosterone too?

second, since we hear that exposure to sun increases testosterone production, does eating a lot of fat add the same percentage when testerone levels are higher? I.e. are all these effects stackable?