PDA

View Full Version : Question about beer

ThumperAC
05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Typically on either Friday or Saturday I tend to drink a lot of beer (ususally 12-18 beers). I know that this is awful as I am currently cutting. My question is what would be the best for me to do?

-Stick to my diet and drink the beer also

-Take some things out of my diet so that all the beer calories do not put me too far over my limit

Thanks for any input.

Saint Patrick
05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Option 3: Quit drinking so much damn beer.

Once a week won't kill you, but it def. won't help your cutting goals.

Veritas
05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Thats a hellof a lot of beer. Maybe you should try some of that Michelob Ultra Watery stuff, but I agree with Pat.

Berserker
05-26-2004, 05:51 PM
drink lite beer. Drink red wine. Liquor.
The real bad thing about drinking is the food you eat. I think that is worse.

ecliptic
05-26-2004, 06:22 PM
go with liquor.. not nearly as much calories but it still does the trick! I would eat a good sized meal before drinking so you dont get those "beer munchies" and decide to hit up burger king or something.

geoffgarcia
05-26-2004, 06:26 PM
drink lite beer. Drink red wine. Liquor.
I could be wrong, (but I dont think I am or I wouldn't post this)
but I think they all are in the same ballpark for calories.
At about 120 per serving

SpecialK
05-26-2004, 06:47 PM
I could be wrong, (but I dont think I am or I wouldn't post this)
but I think they all are in the same ballpark for calories.
At about 120 per serving

Yeah I was always under the impression that the caloric content of beer, liquor, etc. was primarily determined by the amount of alcohol in the drink.

Augury
05-26-2004, 07:01 PM
This is makig my head ache to actually try and remeber it but im pretty sure alcohol has an interesting effect on calories. Whilst people generally think that if you drink a load of alcohol you are having a bunch of "alcohol calories"...most of the alcohol you consume is converted to acetate. This stuff spikes in the blood after drinking alcohol. Whilst its high and present in the blood, fatburning grinds to a total and utter halt. So when you drink...your fatburning stops for several hours afterwards. The more you drink the longer it takes to get the alcohol out your system (the liver processes at the same rate) and so the acetate spike remains and your fatburning is stopped. If you have just eaten a load of food (as drunk people do) then guess where all that food is headed? Back to its comfee bed over your six pack. the muscular kind that is.

Augs.

JTyrell710
05-26-2004, 07:15 PM
good post augs-

Berserker
05-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Less sugar and carbs in liquor and wine. Also dry red wine has less cals then all. With more alcohol then beer can get there quicker for less calls.

jimlynch11
05-26-2004, 09:55 PM
During cuts I switch from beer to rum and diet coke, the lowest calorie drink possible (AFAIK). Also, the caffeine in the coke helps keep the munchies away, burns some calories, etc. Of course, drinking 12 of these would turn you into a hummingbird, but maybe switch to plain shots at the end of the night (always leading to good things haha).

fen2zla
05-26-2004, 11:32 PM
I would go with option 3. St Patties a smart bloke ya know. :D

When I go out I drink rum & cokes. The only problem I have is getting to sleep because I dont usually have any caffeine what-so-ever. Or it could be a total co-incidence.

TBone4Eva
05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Less sugar and carbs in liquor and wine. Also dry red wine has less cals then all. With more alcohol then beer can get there quicker for less calls.
Alcohol has 7 calories per gram

Augury
05-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Ohhhh...look...really.

if your maintenance level of calories is say....3000 per day. Thats 3000 per 24hrs. If your macronutrient ratios are 30fat/40carbs/30protien say...then that means you are eating 900 cals of fat in 24 hours. Thats 38 cals per hour of fat.

If you go on a bender and get lashed up...then your fatburning stops whilst your acetate spike is sitting in your blood. So for say 7pm till 3am or so....you arent burning any fat. Thats 31x7 = 266 calories with nowhere to go. Ontop of that is the calories of the actual alcohol you drank....

10 pints of beer...at 5% alcohol. Thats 4.73 liters of beer at 5% = 237 grams of alcohol. at 7 cals per gram = 1659.

So....your bender was basically 1659+217 = 1925 cals. And that dosnt even stop to assume that you ate a huge bag of greasy chips(fries) or a curry whilst you were drunk.

Drinking beer is the dietary equivalent of stepping on a landmine.
Mind you...its fun.

Augs.

iLUDEd
05-30-2004, 01:28 PM
use UD2 to cut, and have your nights out fall during the carb-up phase of your diet.

Vido
05-30-2004, 02:06 PM
use UD2 to cut, and have your nights out fall during the carb-up phase of your diet.

Although probably one of the best options in theory, I would think that if you're taking such a hardcore approach to dieting you should have the self control to stay sober for a period of 6-8 weeks. I don't even know why anyone would want to risk slowing down the fat burning after going through the Hell that is the low carb diet and training days.

iLUDEd
05-30-2004, 02:40 PM
when i know im going to be having a huge weekend of alchol/take out, i use this approach and scheduel it so the carbup falls on the nights i go out (used it 2 weeks ago actually), once you get used to UD2, you get used to it, and its not as much of a pain in the ass to go the low cal/carb days

shootermcgavin7
05-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Liquor (and if you need to, a diet soda as your mixer).

Beer tends to dehydrate you more, and as everyone else has said, has a lot more extraneous crap in it than liquor.

AstronautJones
05-30-2004, 08:34 PM

Words I never thought would be spoken by an Irisher. :alcoholic :withstupi

Dedicated
05-30-2004, 11:41 PM

Once a week won't kill you, but it def. won't help your cutting goals.
I agree.

Wu36
05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Words I never thought would be spoken by an Irisher. :alcoholic :withstupi
Surely he sobbed uncontrollably while hugging a bottle of Guinness after hitting the submit reply button.

Harrison486
05-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Im an idiot but what is UD2?

Augury
05-31-2004, 09:21 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

look in the "products" section and also on the forums there.

Its a Diet. For cutting bodyfat whilst retaining or gaining muscle.

robinhood
05-31-2004, 10:01 PM
http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=20824

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:12 AM
**** me! 12-18 beers?!

How big are your serving sizes?

Sweet Mother of Christ, i thought i could handle the nectar. That is insane. I'm comatose after 8-10 proper pints (i.e. not watered down).

Anyway, vodka and diet coke has a lot less calories than that much beer. Plus i doubt you'd manage to drink that much if you're on the vodka. You'll wake up with a marvellous feeling in your head though!

But if you choose to drink and you're dieting, just make sure the day you drink is your cheat/refeed day. Just keep fat intake on this day as low as possible and get down carbs. Just don't take the piss and do a 10k calorie day like i once did. It just undoes the entire week's work.

Harrison486
06-01-2004, 08:32 PM

Is UD2 really the best diet? And did all of you buy the book? (I just don't want to be the dumb kid who buys it if I dont have to)

ThumperAC
06-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Those that asked, I am talking about normal 12oz cans of beer.
I have now realized that I need to be more serious about my cutting and will start to limit my beer intake. Any this past weekend I stuck to capt morgan rum and diet coke, it was real tasty.

Augury
06-02-2004, 03:26 AM
yes harrison - it works. you only need to go read the journals on the bodyrcomposition website. people lose fat rapidly and maintain LBM. It works...but its brutal. i bought the e-book to save money. i think it was $20. the book is facinating even if you dont do the diet. its packed full of physiology and science.

My UD2 journal so far (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=48447)

Harrison486
06-02-2004, 10:37 AM
yes harrison - it works. you only need to go read the journals on the bodyrcomposition website. people lose fat rapidly and maintain LBM. It works...but its brutal. i bought the e-book to save money. i think it was $20. the book is facinating even if you dont do the diet. its packed full of physiology and science. [/URL]

You bought the book to save money? How does that work? Also, is UD2 more than just a diet? It seems to me like its also a whole new lifting scheme. I am going to be starting HST soon, I was just hoping that what UD2 said about losing fat while still building muscle was possible.

kAiXuan
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
why are people so f-ing stupid?
dont drink that much you lusch

meltedtime
06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
My sympathies, Thump. You gotta cut out the beer to lose the weight. It sucks. I'm down to a six pack on Saturdays now and it really sucks with the summer coming. You want to look your best in the summer and beer goes down that much better on hot days. It sucks. I love beer. Good quality micro-brewed beer. Independent brewers who actually want to put flavour in their beers. Ah, heck, I can even drink mass produced flavourless, generic beer. Beer is good. Beer is great. Damn, I want a beer now. Way to go Thump, got me thinking about having a beer. Time for cardio. Gotta burn off last weekends beer, instead.

BeerTime

BLAZE
06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Put whiskey In your mouth and swish it around for a while. The blood vessels in your mouth willl absorb the alcohol without you even having to swallow it.

PiKappaWRX
06-02-2004, 04:36 PM
im w/ robinhood, check out 3 vodka. there are no carbs in it. mix it w/ a diet soda and you're fine. only alcohol calories (7/gram) and you don't have to worry about anything besides teh sucralose or aspartame from the diet coke.

Allyrulez
06-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Am i the only one in the world who finds beer rather unpalatable???

Stick to liqueur, youll look more sophisticated as well

fen2zla
06-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Stick to liqueur, youll look more sophisticated as well

Come on, whats more sophisticated than sitting on a bar stool with half ya butt showing and letting out a huge beer belch?

shootermcgavin7
06-02-2004, 10:32 PM
why are people so f-ing stupid?
dont drink that much you lusch

A morality lesson is not what the original poster wanted. He simply wanted options that better-coincided with his goals.

We sinful drinkers on here of Irish decent have helped him out.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-03-2004, 12:01 AM

Yes. Yes you are.

robinhood
06-03-2004, 12:41 AM
the way i figure it, if i know im gonna drink beer, i cut out some excess calories for the day or do cardio prior to drinking. or save the beer for the refeed days.

but my cure to my drinking habits comes in the form of the link i posted earlier '3' vodka and either diet tonic or diet soda

BulkMeUp
06-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Definately yes!! :eek:

Stick to liqueur, youll look more sophisticated as well As well as probably a lot more drunk!! :clown:

Come on, whats more sophisticated than sitting on a bar stool with half ya butt showing and letting out a huge beer belch? :zipit: Having the beer come out along with the belch???!!! :zipit:

HobbesAB
06-03-2004, 09:17 AM

No, you're not - I agree with you :thumbup:

meltedtime
06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Here is a little depressing cut and paste about aclohol and testosterone levels (T being testosterone, LH being leutinizing hormone):

2. Alcohol and Analgesics

One of the most powerful T suppressors is alcohol. There is a direct, negative correlation between blood alcohol and T concentrations such that T concentration is lowest when blood alcohol concentration is highest (2, 11). This is caused by enzyme inhibition in the testes that reduces conversion of cholesterol to T. 'Intoxication' decreases serum T by more than 25% and for between 10 and 16 hours after blood alcohol concentrations return to normal. LH concentrations however increase in response to alcohol as the body increases secretion in an attempt to regain T homeostasis. Another group of drugs that suppress T are analgesics such as aspirin and codeine. These act not at the testes, but at the pituitary where they reduce LH secretion. The more powerful the analgesic the more effective it is in inhibiting T production (2, 11).

Dr. Squat (http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=82)

Another God damned reason why bodybuilders shouldn't drink. It's just not fair.

melt

JTyrell710
06-03-2004, 03:30 PM
wait so if it produces more lh wouldnt there be a increase/.spike of t after the al. wore off and the LH was still increaseD?

meltedtime
06-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Alcohol increases the amount of cortisol, among other undersirable (from a bodybuilding perspective) hormones present in the blood stream. Some research indicates this would be the reason that test levels remain low even 24hrs after drinking despite the increased presence of LH and FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone). Alcohol depresses the release of Test for a long period of time after consumption. Simply not good for bodybuilding.

melt