PDA

View Full Version : Diet help

blake2616
05-26-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm almost sixteen, still growing. I want to trim some fat and get toned. But I don't even know where to start. My family doesn't eat healthy and I can't even drive to the store to buy healthy foods. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Augury
05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
This is going to sound a bit trite....but after you have read the stickys on what good things to eat.....i can only suggest you talk nicely to your folks and give them a shopping list of things you would really appreciate eating.

If you cant get to the store and they have all the money and do the shopping Im sure they will understand that their son dosnt want to follow in thier unhealthy eating footsteps.

This is the reason parents send thier kids to school. To educate them. This is your chance to show your parents what you learned :)

Augs

blake2616
05-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks Augury. Don't take me the wrong way I'm not downgrading my parents I love them. And I have gave them a list of what I want but they're old fashioned in the way that they beleive "Eat what's on the table or don't eat at all." Well at least fix what you want by yourself and they do buy me what's on the list but not every time they go shopping so I run out. And I do tell them to buy more but then they tell me "We're not made of money." I was just wondering if they were any foods that will support growth but help me trim off some fat.

Augury
05-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Well...the best you can do from the sounds of it is keep going at them regarding the list...try and encourage them to see that they will benefit from the healthy diet you are shooting for too.

If you cant really alter your diet much more....then rely on the bessing of your age. You are young and that means you are virtually indestructable when it comes to eating poor food. Do cardio to make up for the extra fat an unhealthy diet will probably send your way....and where you can eat lean meats to allow for growth. Calcium is great for you too as your bones are still lengthening.

Another trick is to look at the things they do buy. Identify the things that they like to eat that are good for you...for example eggs. Eat the egg whites for protien. they will run out of them faster and buy more becasue they want them too. Follow my logic?

Do you train?

Augs

blake2616
05-26-2004, 07:29 PM
I follow. And yes I do train, well I just got back to training I really haven't trained since football last summer, so needless to say I'm a little rusty, just so many things getting home late you know the usual stuff but I still should have trained.

Like I said I don't have much in the way of money, but I'm getting a job this summer and as soon as I start driving its off to the gym. I do bench press, right now I can only bench 115 pounds 8 reps 3 sets, 30 with arm curls same reps and sets, and deadlifts, but my back isn't as strong as my legs want it to be, I haven't been able to do them because I need to work on my form and I do them at the end of my work out and my workout is at the end of my hour of basketball w/ my brother so I'm pretty tired after that. I get about half way through them and just can't seem to get my body to go through with it not to mention my back hurts because it is to weak. If you are thinking aout me doing squat to make my back stronger forget it because I don't have a rack. I really can't wait till I can get to a gym.

If you have any cardio tips, deadlift tips, or diet tips I'd like that.

Zygote
05-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi Blake, I'm sortof in the same boat as you though its not parent problems but rather being a parent and having a wife means I have barriers to spending money on diet and gym too.

I use skim milk as a protein powder, its 6 dollars AU compared to 68 dollars au for the cheapest brand name powders so while its not as good by far, it does the trick and costs 10 times less.

I eat lots of beans, tuna, chicken, good cereal, bread, etc. All relatively cheap and while they not the best they are good enough till you get a job and can afford premium stuff. I balance them all out into 7 small meals per day.

I work out in the Garage for the moment. I built my own chin up beam cheaply. I don't have a squat rack but I have been carefully cleaning and pressing so I can still do relatively heavy squats but make up for the lower weight by doing 3 sets of 20 (which I read once helps with the larger muscles anyhow). I base all my exercises around the large compound exercises because I want to build all around mass and I think squat, clean and sweep, chin ups, rows, presses are best for that. I used to dead lifts but I had an unfortunate allergic reaction to them so I stopped :)

I use a program called Crosstrainer as my exercise and calorie program. It allows you to design exercise routines, track your progress and organize your diet. Free trial period on download.

Anyhow good luck and hope you have success.

Zygote

Augury
05-26-2004, 08:17 PM
blake...you can squat without a rack as Zygote does. Another alternative is the hack squat.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

Im getting tired now....headed to bed.

Augs.

blake2616
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks Augs looks like the hack squat might be a great alternative to get my legs stronger. Like Zygote I too have an allergic reaction to deadlifts.