PDA

View Full Version : Short Cut

Exnor
05-27-2004, 06:48 AM
I am approximately 173lb (5'11") and an estimated 14-15% bf. I have a fast "hard gainer's" metabolism.

When I begin my 'cutting' diet in a months time, im looking to loose 1-3% bodyfat in a short time (6-7 weeks).

I aim to do this by reducing my calories slightly and incorporating some kind of cardio into my regime. I am thinking about cycling around (up hills etc.) for 30 mins twice a week, on my off days from the gym.

I am not very educated in dieting, but have read the various resources here at WBB. I am not particularily fond of the very low carb diets, from what I have read, hence my proposed method of 'cutting'.

Does this method sound adequate?

Augury
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
It honestly sounds fine. You have already identified that you have a fast metabolism and you are fairly big.

Dropping back on the calories and adding cardio is going to have an effect. The trick here is going to be quantifying it. You estimated your bodyfat % in your post...so how will you know its actually dropping? do you have a measurement method.

Also when you cut back on your calories you will need to know how much you have cut them back by across any given week. Only so that if you arent dropping weight fast enough or at all then you will beable to cut back more than the last week till something starts to happen. If you havent got any measurements going on...its hard to know how much is enough.
Also, measuring what you eat will help you maintain your macronutrient ratios when you cut back on total calories. You might want to read up on refeeds as another option for stopping the body hitting a starvation plateau if you find things grinding to a halt.

The cardio sounds fine. You can always add more if you feel the need, but the diet will have the most profound effect.

Im sure others here will have some more usefull hints and tips tho :)

Augs

Exnor
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the information.

I currently track my calories (but not the macro breakdown - I balance this out in my head when consuming food daily).

I do not currently have a measure of progress for fat loss, but I may purchase a caliper set soon for this reason.

I think a refeed on the last day of the week would be a good idea.

Vido
05-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Starting at 14-15% bodyfat with a fast metabolism, you should be able to drop 1-3% WITH EASE in 6-7 weeks. I'd be surprised if it took any longer than 4 weeks. I don't know if you eat clean currently, but 1-3% gets stripped off someone with a fast metabolism in no time if you cut the junk out (and eat the same amount of food, within your calorie limitations).

Exnor
05-27-2004, 05:28 PM
This is what I was hoping, and I gave myself 6 weeks to make sure.

I eat a relatively clean diet, with little or no "junk" food. Perhaps maintaining my calorie intake as it is now and adding cardio will be enough.

Vido
05-28-2004, 12:20 AM
This is what I was hoping, and I gave myself 6 weeks to make sure.

I eat a relatively clean diet, with little or no "junk" food. Perhaps maintaining my calorie intake as it is now and adding cardio will be enough.

It wouldn't surprise me. At most, adding cardio and reducing cals by a couple hundred will almost surely get the job done.