PDA

View Full Version : What are some good things to put on plain oatmeal?

Focused
05-27-2004, 08:09 AM
besides honey?

????????

SquareHead
05-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Protein powder, sugar substitute, raisins, and I think I remember reading some insane person on here uses hot sauce.

Augury
05-27-2004, 08:34 AM
i often have choccie whey powder with my oats. and milk obviously. i eat them raw tho..not cooked.

also try:

1/4 cup raisins
teaspoon peanut butter (yummy with the choccie whey)
chopped slightly unripe banana
chopped apple
walnuts
vanilla flavouring
roasted almonds
1/4 cup chopped figs/dates

Obviously dont try them all at once. That would be horrific.

Augs

pruneman
05-27-2004, 08:39 AM
cheese, tuna, and salsa!
It's amazing.

Augury
05-27-2004, 09:07 AM
omg tunaman.

are you the same person who suggested hot sauce? still, even though you have suggested what sounds like a revolting thing...Im going to try it. once i understand it. Oats stay raw and uncooked right? isnt it a bit dry? please dont tell me you have this with milk? Im in the UK...so by salsa you mean that chopped up tomato gloop stuff you dip doritos in i guess - as opposed to the dancing style?

Augs

Focused
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
hmm think ill give vanila flavoring a try...so basically thats vanilla extract right?

ace dogg
05-27-2004, 09:24 AM
I just put a tbs or so of cocoa on it.

Augury
05-27-2004, 09:32 AM
yah...vanilla extract is the easy way and yummy.

the posh and slightly less easy way is to add a vanilla pod to the milk and let is soak for a bit. mmmm. but slow and messy compared to the extract method. dont eat the pod!

Augs

Exnor
05-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I believe defon has hot sauce on his. I always eat mine plain. I have tried putting jam on the top once, and it tasted quite nice. However, Jam is very full of sugar and probably would not be advisable.

supirman
05-27-2004, 10:03 AM
i like it with syrup -- tastes good to me. also, syrup on eggs is tastey.

ectx
05-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I keep it simple...sometimes a few berries, always cinnamon and splenda.

TheGimp
05-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Another vote for cinnamon here

Vido
05-27-2004, 01:04 PM
How about you just suck it up and eat them plain? They don't even taste bad.

Focused
05-31-2004, 11:05 AM
wait, doesnt cinammon contain alot of sugar? i always thought it was bad for you...

ryuage
05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
cinnamon, protein powder, cocoa powder, fruits, splenda, hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

TheGimp
05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
wait, doesnt cinammon contain alot of sugar? i always thought it was bad for you...

It's certainly not a calorie dense food. A teaspoon or so of cinnamon is pretty insignificant.

Nutritional information for 100g of cinammon

Water g 9.52
Energy kcal 261
Energy kj 1093
Protein g 3.89
Total lipid (fat) g 3.19 56
Ash g 3.55
Carbohydrate, by difference g 79.85
Fiber, total dietary g 54.3
Sugars, total g 2.17
Sucrose g 0.02
Glucose (dextrose) g 1.04
Fructose g 1.11
Lactose g 0.00
Maltose g 0.00
Galactose g 0.00
Minerals
Calcium, Ca mg 1228
Iron, Fe mg 38.07
Magnesium, Mg mg 56
Phosphorus, P mg 61
Potassium, K mg 500
Sodium, Na mg 26
Zinc, Zn mg 1.97
Copper, Cu mg 0.233
Manganese, Mn mg 16.667
Selenium, Se mcg 1.1
Vitamins
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid mg 28.5
Thiamin mg 0.077
Riboflavin mg 0.140
Niacin mg 1.300
Vitamin B-6 mg 0.310
Folate, total mcg 29
Folic acid mcg 0
Folate, food mcg 29
Folate, DFE mcg_DFE 29
Vitamin B-12 mcg 0.00
Vitamin A, IU IU 280
Vitamin A, RAE mcg_RAE 14
Retinol mcg 0
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) mg 0.95
Tocopherol, beta mg 0.00
Tocopherol, gamma mg 0.66
Tocopherol, delta mg 0.00
Vitamin K (phylloquinone) mcg 31.2
Lipids
Fatty acids, total saturated g 0.650
4:0 g 0.000
6:0 g 0.000
8:0 g 0.000
10:0 g 0.000
12:0 g 0.030
14:0 g 0.090
16:0 g 0.390
18:0 g 0.140
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 0.480
16:1 undifferentiated g 0.030
18:1 undifferentiated g 0.450
20:1 g 0.000 0 0
22:1 undifferentiated g 0.000
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 0.530
18:2 undifferentiated g 0.530
18:3 undifferentiated g 0.000
18:4 g 0.000
20:4 undifferentiated g 0.000
20:5 n-3 g 0.000
22:5 n-3 g 0.000
22:6 n-3 g 0.000
Cholesterol mg 0
Phytosterols mg 26
Other
Alcohol, ethyl g 0.0
Caffeine mg 0
Theobromine mg 0
Carotene, beta mcg 39
Carotene, alpha mcg 0
Cryptoxanthin, beta mcg 258
Lycopene mcg 29
Lutein + zeaxanthin mcg 420

harryhoudini66
05-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Protein Powder
Splenda
Apple Sauce

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Yeah, i eat mine plain and raw, but cooked with cinnamon is always nice.

I had a bag of christmas spices one time too, which was fantastic. Made it almost taste like i was eating christmas cake/christmas pudding. Almost.

Dunno where i got the stuff from though, so it didn't last long.

John Williams
06-01-2004, 10:07 AM
There are a bunch of oats recipes in this article:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/recipes/brief_history_of_oats.htm

PiKappaWRX
06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
i leave my oatmeal plain and just drink some vodka and OJ w/ it to rid the taste. then i go and workout and consume my ideal PWO shake: cabo wabo tres generaciones, sauza sweet and sour, triple sec, and a splash of grand marnier. blend and you have yourself PWO margarita (add whey if desired).

Saint Patrick
06-02-2004, 02:06 AM
^ WTF.

I eat mine plain, cooked in the microwave.

Lately I just put them in a blender with some fruit, milk and whey and make a smoothie.

skyjumper
06-02-2004, 03:19 AM
My bowl of oatmeal has a little sugar, cinnamon, and lots of raisins.

TheGimp
06-02-2004, 05:16 AM
i leave my oatmeal plain and just drink some vodka and OJ w/ it to rid the taste. then i go and workout and consume my ideal PWO shake: cabo wabo tres generaciones, sauza sweet and sour, triple sec, and a splash of grand marnier. blend and you have yourself PWO margarita (add whey if desired).

lol?

Bboy486
06-02-2004, 07:45 AM
i am eatting really oatmeal as we speak, an dI gotta say plain, is really disgusting. Its like cardboard. I just switched over from the premade types.

Tomarrow I will be putting cinnamon and or honey into them, to give it taste. I dunno about you guys that can eat these plain but damn you must be desensitized from them!

Bruise Brubaker
06-02-2004, 09:57 AM
It doesn't taste like cardboard, it has taste. Puting things like honey or cinnamon or whatever on everything is what make you lost the sensation of the natural taste of oatmeal. Of course it won't taste as much as potato chips...

Bboy486
06-02-2004, 11:33 AM
It reminds me of that scene in The Matrix when they are all eatting there "food", or porage, dont remember if it was named. To me it just has not taste, very bland.

Vido
06-02-2004, 05:34 PM
A lot of food that you should be eating is unfortunately quite bland.

Relentless
06-02-2004, 07:11 PM
get McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal

it ain't bland at all, baby!

http://www.netrition.com/mccanns_oats_page.html

"Steel-Cut Oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble mini rice particles. How are they different from Rolled Oats? Rolled oats are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted. Due to all of this additional processing they have lost some of their natural taste, goodness and texture."

Serving Size: 1/4 cup dry (40g)
Servings Per Container: about 20

Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value*

Total Calories 150

Calories From Fat 20

Total Fat 2 g 3%

Saturated Fat 0 g 0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1 g

Cholesterol 0 mg 0%

Sodium 0 mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 26 g 9%

Dietary Fiber 4 g 15%

Soluble Fiber 2 g

Insoluble Fiber 2 g

Sugars 0 g

Protein 4 g

Wu36
06-02-2004, 07:16 PM
get McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal

http://www.netrition.com/mccanns_oats_page.html

"Steel-Cut Oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble mini rice particles. How are they different from Rolled Oats? Rolled oats are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted. Due to all of this additional processing they have lost some of their natural taste, goodness and texture."

Word. This stuff's damn good, I've been using the instant variation for awhile being that the normal kind takes forever to make.

Focused
06-05-2004, 05:55 AM
by the way i tried cocoa and cinammon and that didnt work out very well....i guess ill just stick to honey

moklepaul
06-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I buy "no sugar added" jams, the kind with only fruit and sucrose in them, and I add a few spoonfuls to microwaved oats + water.

Tastes just awesome.

Phlab
06-08-2004, 11:23 AM
It reminds me of that scene in The Matrix when they are all eatting there "food", or porage, dont remember if it was named. To me it just has not taste, very bland.

Tasty wheat :smoke:

NormalDude
06-08-2004, 12:25 PM
How about brown sugar. It is better for you than honey carb wise. Good for cutting

Vido
06-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I cannot believe people won't just suck it up and eat it plain. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me.

Jasonl
06-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I eat 2 cups of oatmeal with about 1/4 cup of skim milk, still bland, but it gets the job done.

Augury
06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
this is going to sound a bit crazy.

i was bored today and thought i would experiment. I added a half teaspoon of instant coffee powder to my raw oats and milk and mixed it up. to me it tasted yummy. and i get caffene to boot.

The joys of experimentation. Now all i gotta do is get my g/f to kiss her g/f.

NormalDude
06-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Hah be careful Augury what if she likes kissing her more than you.

Don Birnam
06-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Hah be careful Augury what if she likes kissing her more than you.

...and what if he ends up in a perma-3-way??? Nothing worth having ever came easy ;)

attica
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
did anyone mention peanut butter? Not great if you are cutting - lots of fat (but "good" fat), lots of protein.

Other than that, there are enough instant varieties for the folks who don't like them plain.

attica
06-09-2004, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Callahan]get McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal

Yeah, but have you ever eaten it raw? Not quite the same as rolled oats...

jimmyD
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I like plain oatmeal--its the nasty brown rice i cant get used too!

Vido
06-09-2004, 07:58 PM
I like plain oatmeal--its the nasty brown rice i cant get used too!

Try some lemon juice on the brown rice. It's got little to no cals and adds quite a bit of flavour.

jimmyD
06-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks!will do--i use lemon on my fish now (since fried fish is out -god i miss it!) so i have plenty to try tomorrow!

Augury
06-09-2004, 08:55 PM
man I did some funky experimenting today.

My fave now is half a teaspoon of coffee with brown sugar on raw oats and milk.

Second fave is a little grated dark chocolate, co-co powder and cinnamon.

MMMMmmmm.

And regarding girls kissing....yeah. It happened once. I got dumped becasue my girlfriend decided to explore her sexuality. Great. Obviously i wasnt facinating enough to explore it with me and her new (female) love interest. On a positive note, ive since dated (am i fated?) two bisexual girls...both of whom loved guys and got turned on by girls. Just perfect...however the dream "threesome" still elludes me...mainly becasue the girls they "play" with dont really want a threesome...if that makes sense. They just mainly enjoyed a bit of kissing and fondling and didnt want to do the full on "lez" thing. Currently dating a girl who isnt bi whatsoever and im happy as a happy thing. So...there we are.

Why do food posts turn to sex posts. I will be good and not think about sex anymore whilst discussing oats and they splendour.

Augs

JTyrell710
06-09-2004, 09:05 PM
hot sauce is good one anything- i think you all are thinkin of tabasco sauce, not good on anything
Try
Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
it isnt hot at all and its quite good, on everything- even peanut butter.

JTyrell710
06-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Im eatin hotsauce an quaker oats right now- ITS AMAZING!
DefCon, i salute you

Drheckler
06-10-2004, 07:57 AM
I put yogurt and wheatgerm. hmmmm.....

NormalDude
06-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks!will do--i use lemon on my fish now (since fried fish is out -god i miss it!) so i have plenty to try tomorrow!

Well try to fry the fish in olive oil that shouldnt be too bad

pruneman
06-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Well try to fry the fish in olive oil that shouldnt be too bad

Heating olive oil will turn it into a trans fat...don't cook w/ olive oil. Same is true for flax oil, fish oil, etc.

Here's the oatmeal concoction I'm eating right now: oatmeal, 2 slices of kraft FF american cheese, salsa...Sometimes I put tuna or chicken in there too...good stuff.

TheGimp
06-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Heating olive oil will turn it into a trans fat...don't cook w/ olive oil.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/article/content.do?name=L1002j

Q I heard at a dinner party the other night that if you cook with olive oil, some of it turns into the trans fatty acids that raise cholesterol. Is that true?

A I’ve heard this too—and it isn’t true. It’s partially hydrogenated oil that contains harmful trans fatty acids. Partially hydrogenated oil is made by bubbling hydrogen through an oil while treating it with a metal catalyst and heating it to a high temperature—which may be how this rumor about olive oil got started....

Fish and flax oils are another story.

Reinier
06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
plain. the bother of putting stuff in it is more bothering to me than the plain taste.

NormalDude
06-11-2004, 09:33 AM
So then it is ok to cook with olive oil then?

Vido
06-11-2004, 10:22 AM
So then it is ok to cook with olive oil then?

Yes

pruneman
06-11-2004, 12:00 PM
really? cool...woo hoo!

NormalDude
06-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Great because when you take some fresh fish put a bunch of spices in a bit flour and fry it up with olive oil that is gooooood

attica
06-12-2004, 03:30 AM
Had to bust out my O-chem book from college and fire up Google to satisfy my curiousity about olive oil/trans fats, etc. etc. This post got a little long - I wasn't planning on that happening, but fair warning. And I tend to wander around trans fats, saturated fats, and more chemistry than you'll probably want to hear, but <shrug>, it's here if you're interested.

I never really knew what trans fats were, my basic rule was simply to stay away from solid fats (animal products usually) and stick to liquid fats (what we call oils). Both are called "esters" and are part of the lipid family from a chemical perspective. Other lipids include vitamins A, D, E, K, cholesterol, and some other things. Fats and oils are esters of carboxylic acid, and are more commonly known as "fatty acids" because they were originally isolated from fats. These compounds are really long strings of carbon atoms joined together with one or two bonds:

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C This is analagous to a saturated fat molecule

C=C-C=C-C=C-C=C-C This is analagous to an unsaturated fat molecule (note the double bonds designated by the "=")

Fatty acids found in "fats" are saturated. Chemically this means that there aren't any carbon-carbon double bonds (C=C like in the second example), just carbon-carbon single bonds (C-C in the first example). Carbon-carbon double bonds are referred to as "units of unsaturation". Oils tend to be "unsaturated", which means they have at least one unit of unsaturation, and generally speaking, the more the better. I'll spare the details of why they are better - trying to stay high-level here. But at least now you know the basis of the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats/oils. Oh, and the main physiological difference between fats and oils is that fats are solid at room temperature, while oils are liquid. This may seem obvious, but it's important to keep in mind.

Per this FDA website:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_fats.html

Trans-fats are created "when manufacturers add hydrogen to vegetable oil--a process called hydrogenation." Ever remember seeing "partially hydrogenated soybean oil" in any ingredients? It's freaking everywhere. Anyway, hydrogenation is performed because it "increases the shelf life and flavor stability of foods containing these fats." However, it appears that there are some naturally occurring trans-fats "primarily in dairy products, some meat, and other animal-based foods." The most common usage of hydrogenation is to make margarine (a solid) from vegetable oil (a liquid). So they're actually taking something good for you and making it bad. I wondered if the hydrogenation process actually breaks down the C=C bonds, thereby removing units of unsaturation, allowing the products to become a solid. Checked around, and I was right - that's exactly what's happening. The more units of unsaturation, the lower the melting point, which is all that separates an oil from a fat. Oleic acid (the primary fatty acid in both olive oil and the human body) is liquid at room temperature, but solid if refrigerated (try putting your olive oil based salad dressing in the fridge, and you know what I mean). Hydrogenation of oleic acid removes units of unsaturation, and converts it to stearic acid, which is found in butter and beef fat. Now that's a pisser - taking good old olive oil and turning it into dairy/beef fat. Blech.

The kicker is that trans-fats are BAD for you. As I was mentioning earlier, unsaturated fats are good for you (in moderation), but saturated and trans-fats are NOT. From what I can gather, trans-fats are simply saturated fats that were manufactured from unsaturated fats via hydrogenation. Here's the FDA quote:

"While unsaturated fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) are beneficial when consumed in moderation, saturated and trans fats are not. Saturated fat and trans fat raise LDL cholesterol levels in the blood. Dietary cholesterol also raises LDL cholesterol and may contribute to heart disease even without raising LDL. Therefore, it is advisable to choose foods low in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol as part of a healthful diet."

Definitely go check out the FDA website if this interests you - they have a nice matrix of different foods (not many of which the people on this forum will be eating ;-), to give an idea of amount of (and which type) of fats are in some common things.

I'll save the digression on LDL and HDL for another day...

Also, I can't see any way that normal cooking with olive oil (something I do at least once a day) can result in hydrogenation, so it seems like we are safe from that perspective. I do wonder if cooking with olive oil breaks it down into something that isn't as good for you as when it's unheated, but I'll save that digression also.

Simply put - solid fats bad, liquid fats good. But we all knew that right?

Whew.

jimmyD
06-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info. Because i am tryin to cut from 280lbs to around 190-200 before i worry about adding muscle. So i have cut my diet and slowly begun to excersize. i steped on the scale this morning at 246!--i may start a post on me here and just keep everyone updated. but what i am getting to is since i have cut so much (ummm.mashed potatoes with cheese and butter and bacon bits and cheese did i mention cheese?) the one meal i look forward to atleast every other day is chicken and shrimp stirfried with some veggies cooked in oilveoil.

mercury
06-12-2004, 12:34 PM
I've been eating it plain with only Splenda on it for awhile. Gets boring after awhile. Starting adding raisens...real yummy!

dissipate
06-16-2004, 07:42 AM
i eat them with skim milk, sprinkles of weet-bix, sometimes sprinkles of other cereal or diced fruits.