PDA

View Full Version : Best Post-Workout meal name it!

Killa Kurt
05-27-2004, 02:09 PM
What do you consider the best post-workout meal, incl supplements? If your bulking, not cutting.

geoffgarcia
05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
money aside I'd be using this for postworkout (not at any other time) it would probably run about 4-5$ per serving:
8% Super Bovine (highest of IGF-1)
22% hydrolyzed 520 whey protein
10% CFM protein
30% Hydrolyzed Rice Carb
15% dextrose
15% maltodextrin
5g creatine
10g glutamine
1 serving aminogen
1 serving carbogen
with a 10g dose of and dex and 10 of malto at 20, 30, and 40 minutes after consumption to continually spike insulin levels

furious
05-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Quite simple.

2lbs of lean chicken breasts. Mmmmm....protein goodness.

Shao-LiN
05-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Protein w/ carbs....some creatine.

Jasonl
05-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Protein w/ carbs....some creatine.
I agree. My PWO meal consists of 50g whey, and 50g dextrose. On workout days I would take my creatine with my PWO shake, since that way I'm less likely to taste the creatine. :)

Shao-LiN
05-31-2004, 08:34 PM
My creatine doesn't taste like anything.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
money aside I'd be using this for postworkout (not at any other time) it would probably run about 4-5$ per serving:
8% Super Bovine (highest of IGF-1)
22% hydrolyzed 520 whey protein
10% CFM protein
30% Hydrolyzed Rice Carb
15% dextrose
15% maltodextrin
5g creatine
10g glutamine
1 serving aminogen
1 serving carbogen
with a 10g dose of and dex and 10 of malto at 20, 30, and 40 minutes after consumption to continually spike insulin levels

Blimey!

You can buy supps that sort all this for you, y'know?

Myself, i have a 10kg tub of malto and i buy 5lb tubs of EAS simply whey. 2 scoops of the first gives me 50g, 3 scoops of the second gives me something else. I can't remember what though. But anyway, it's good.

Shao-LiN
06-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Seriously tho, how much of a difference does that micro-management of percentages actually make?

Deathwish
06-01-2004, 12:00 PM
bah. I just have a shake. 2 scoops of whey(40 g of protein), 1 cup of milk, and some fruit. Usually bananas, sometimes grapes or strawberries. Or if I want I'll add some honey. 2 hours later I have a couple chicken breasts and a cup of rice.

geoffgarcia
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Blimey!
You can buy supps that sort all this for you, y'know?

yeah...and they opt to put 99% cheap crap in and .0001% of the good stuff:)
be leary of companies that offer stuff without knowing what % of the ingredients are in there....

Seriously tho, how much of a difference does that micro-management of percentages actually make?
depends on if you know what the differences are...
you get different amino acids from different proteins...depends on the origin...then you have different levels of filtration, some of which digest much quicker than others....
Your typical supp company has to balance flavor, mixability and cost as their primary concerns...4th on the ladder is what actually goes into it....
in my breakdown I have one concern...that is what goes into it...to hell with mixability and flavor and cost...

can you physically tell the difference in proteins? of course not. we need to rely on studies to tell us this. For a minor difference in price I like the control to make my own formulas. Even if its only to satiate my beliefs that nobody else holds:)

Jfresh
06-01-2004, 12:28 PM
i always mix with water for quick absorbtion but have read many who mix post workout shakes with milk. i thought this would make the digestion process slower and then the uptake would take longer. i have always heard of a window post workout to actually get nutrients into the muscle. anyone have any info on this....

CiteCollegiale
06-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Jfresh you should consume your protein maximum 30minutes after your workout

Allyrulez
06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
CAn of tuna flakes, a banana and some kinda high GI carbs, sumfing sugary

Shao-LiN
06-01-2004, 01:46 PM
yeah...and they opt to put 99% cheap crap in and .0001% of the good stuff:)
be leary of companies that offer stuff without knowing what % of the ingredients are in there....

depends on if you know what the differences are...
you get different amino acids from different proteins...depends on the origin...then you have different levels of filtration, some of which digest much quicker than others....
Your typical supp company has to balance flavor, mixability and cost as their primary concerns...4th on the ladder is what actually goes into it....
in my breakdown I have one concern...that is what goes into it...to hell with mixability and flavor and cost...

can you physically tell the difference in proteins? of course not. we need to rely on studies to tell us this. For a minor difference in price I like the control to make my own formulas. Even if its only to satiate my beliefs that nobody else holds:)

I know what you're saying and I'm aware of what studies do. My question is how much of a difference physiologically is it actually going to make? It might be the most ideal situation to have those ingredients in those percentages, but what does ideal get you? A 1% improvement over just using some nitrean?

geoffgarcia
06-01-2004, 02:20 PM
I know what you're saying and I'm aware of what studies do. My question is how much of a difference physiologically is it actually going to make? It might be the most ideal situation to have those ingredients in those percentages, but what does ideal get you? A 1% improvement over just using some nitrean?
I think placebo alone can be worth 5%...if you've convinced your brain that something is going to have a certain effect then the more you convince yourself the more likely you are to have a placebo effect. Heck u might even be able to pull off a pavolovian effect in time if u keep doing things a certain way.

What I take is much closer is closer to Opticen than Nitrean (carbs)
Both Opticen and Nitrean are based on multiple forms of protein, the biggest diff is one has carbs and vitamins/minerals and the other doesn't.They both have a mix of faster and slower digestings proteins, some of which get used more by the body than others, making a nice smattering of various amino acids, which I feel dont adhere as much to my particular diet and eating habits in a post workout environment (very specifically).

I wouldn't know where to begin quantifying the physiological differences.
Thats like asking what % difference does fish oil actually give vs flax...

We know fish oil has things in it that are good for your body, I just can't put a "how much better" # to it...same with these proteins.
Or how much better squats are than leg extensions. How do you put a # to that, without a very specific study?

I know Nitrean/Optican are good, they are very close to the proteins in my anticatabolic formula in fact.

You just have to read up on both sides of the empty stomach postworkout argument.

If you think ur stomach/duodenum is empty enough to accept a fast acting protein + insulin spiking carb then take that route. Then you should also be taking in a higher dosage of hydro wheys and some finely filtered proteins like CFM and with some prayers you might get into a hyperaminoacidemic state (although this might be in question)

If you think your stomach is still processing other meals at that time then by all means go with the slow digesting mixed bag for the greater amino acid profile.

Or you could go the middle route and toss in insulin spiking carbs with various proteins and see where that leaves ya.

I'm in the first camp and Chris and Dan are in the second and third. All the arguments make sense and hold truth under certain conditions.

Here is some more info, biased toward my belief of course:)

Post Exercise Nutrition to Maximize the Training Effect (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/postexercise.htm)

Pre/During/Post Workout Nutrition (http://www.avantlabs.com/page.php?pageID=66&pf=1&noupdate=1)
Carbs: To make the best possible blend, it is recommended that the carbohydrates be a 50/50 blend of dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin

Protein: Which protein to use is a little more complicated. As in the case of carbohydrates, we want to use the fastest absorbing protein possible. Hydrolyzed whey protein is one of the most quickly absorbed due to an enzymatic production method that leaves the amino acids open for use.

Deathwish
06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
i always mix with water for quick absorbtion but have read many who mix post workout shakes with milk. i thought this would make the digestion process slower and then the uptake would take longer.

I'm sure water is a bit quicker than milk. But skim milk contains virtually no fat so digestion is slowed down minimally. That and you get some carbs which is what your muscles are craving after your workout. Carbs and protein that is.

Jfresh
06-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Jfresh you should consume your protein maximum 30minutes after your workout

i work out at milos sarcevs gym and he says that the window is no more than an hour. i have read elsewhere studies that have confirmed this.

Jfresh
06-02-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm sure water is a bit quicker than milk. But skim milk contains virtually no fat so digestion is slowed down minimally. That and you get some carbs which is what your muscles are craving after your workout. Carbs and protein that is.

then the casein which is a slower digesting protein does not affect the digestion rate of the hydro-whey? i thought i read in another thread that milk will slow the digestion rate of the protein.

kAiXuan
06-02-2004, 03:20 PM
A quart of milk and a large pizza