PDA

View Full Version : Food Combining

Silverback
05-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Lately i've seen alot of information regarding food combining and weight gain/loss. Is there any benefit from separating Fats from Carbs at meals? for example:

Meal 1: Protein + Carbs

Meal 2: Protein + Fats

Meal 3: Protein + Carbs

and so forth....

The notion is that when you consume carbs there is an insulin responce, now if you were to eat fat with this meal there is a high chance fat storage will be preferred. So by separating them you avoid this situation.

In theory it seems correct, but would this reap any benefits from your standard dieting protocol?

B-R

ace dogg
05-29-2004, 02:27 PM
I am a believer in this. I think the benefit would come in when bulking, cutting not really important.

Adam
05-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I am a beleiver in this and a follower. I've dropped 10%bf in 18weeks by doing this while keeping my lbm the same.

Silverback
05-30-2004, 01:38 AM
I am a beleiver in this and a follower. I've dropped 10%bf in 18weeks by doing this while keeping my lbm the same.

Thats very impressive Adam and I can understand why this worked for you. What bodyfat % did you begin with 18 weeks ago???

But i question myself and wonder if the same results could be acheived, just by using all 3 groups in one meal, rather than splitting them. Im not doubting, but merely seeing if there is anyone with more experience/information on the topic, who could elaborate.

Adam
05-30-2004, 05:36 AM
I was just over 20%, ~18 weeks later i was 10%. Just got the bf read yesterday and 9.4.

aidano
05-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Those are some impressive results Adam. Do you have more details on your methods?

Franco
05-30-2004, 11:59 AM
It's nothing new and has been around for quite some time. Theres some articles over at tmag

Adam
05-30-2004, 01:24 PM
You can look at my journal for details on my diet/training. Tmag has alot of good articles. Also be sure to go to www.johnberardi.com Thats where i got the bulk of my info. He has articles ranging from nutrition to training.

iLUDEd
05-30-2004, 01:47 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=47732

theres an article in that thread about food combining.

Manveet
05-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Although it sounds like a very smart way to approach nutrition, I don't see how one can actually benefit from meal combining if they are on a bulk and eating a huge amount of surplus calories.

Vido
05-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Although it sounds like a very smart way to approach nutrition, I don't see how one can actually benefit from meal combining if they are on a bulk and eating a huge amount of surplus calories.

Like ace dogg said, bulking is probably the more important time to be doing this. You want to do everything you possibly can to avoid fat gain from the surplus calories. If you're in a caloric deficit, it's probably going to matter a lot less.

JTyrell710
05-30-2004, 09:04 PM
This is why steak and meats are the perfect meal
protein+fats, no carbs

another meal for that could be
lean meat sandwhich (buffalo chicken sandwhich)

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-31-2004, 06:38 AM
It's never made much sense to me.

If you think, if you're eating every 3-4 hours, you're always gonna have some food being processed in your gut somewhere, so you're never gonna separate the fat and carbs completely.

Also, you don't need insulin to store fat.

Adam, you've had brilliant results, but getting from 20% to 15% for a male isn't all that difficult. It just takes patience and effort. The body is almost willing to drop from that high. Getting to 9.4 is pretty brilliant though.

But i still wouldn't attribute a significant amount of the fat lost to this type of diet. Just so long as you're eating less you'll drop the weight. You just need to find a diet you can stick to.

Can i ask, have you had poor success rates with other diet types?

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-31-2004, 06:39 AM
But Ron, like i said over MSn, give it a try and see how it goes. You may respond well to it.

Vido
05-31-2004, 09:17 AM
It's never made much sense to me.

If you think, if you're eating every 3-4 hours, you're always gonna have some food being processed in your gut somewhere, so you're never gonna separate the fat and carbs completely.

That's why separating your meals into protein + carbs early in the day, and moving into protein + fat later in the day (assuming a morning or early afternoon training session) makes the most sense to me. Alternating between protein + carbs and protein + fats meals doesn't make a great deal of sense to me either for the reason outlined above.

Adam
05-31-2004, 11:29 AM
I've never done any other type of diet. This ones my first. I'm not saying this ones the best, it worked for me though. And im eating ALOT more now and still losing the fat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Ahhh...I love it when that happens. :)

Silverback
06-01-2004, 09:44 AM
You know the more I think and read about the diet + cutting diets in general. I feel that they can ALL work, what it boils down to is Protein, Complex Carbs (for hunger) + EFA's. Doesn't matter how you box em up, just get them on board under maintenance.

With the correct training routine, you will preserve as much muscle as possible while losing fat. Rob brings up some excellent points especially in the early stages of the diet whereby the switch from bulk-cut is bound to being faster results, especially if your starting bodyfat% is quite high + the point on carb/fat separation being virtually impossible due to the digestive process.

Im not sure why i started it, its going alright but no better than any other cut than in the past. The clen/nolva im now using however is making a difference, but its only early days and more time is needed to see their full effects.