PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition

FatDavid
05-30-2004, 04:01 PM
I just started working out this week, and would like to ask a question. I weigh about 260 lbs. right now, and my daily intake of calories is only about 1,000. I would like to know, what kind of inexpensive foods can I use to get myself up to a more appropriate calorie intake? I've been eating things like ramen, microwave burritos, hot dogs. I'm not really interested in losing weight, I'm more interested in losing fat without losing muscle. Any help would be appreciated.

Saint Patrick
05-30-2004, 07:10 PM
http://64.191.89.22/showthread.php?t=46565

FatDavid
05-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Wow...don't I wish, but cabbage, beans, and tuna were about the only cheap things I saw in that list. I don't think I have enough in my food budget to manage 2000+ cal out of those foods. Are there any kinds of meal suppliments or anything like that I could use to substitute for a couple meals? I can probably only afford to eat the things on that list once or twice a week.

Dedicated
05-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Meal replacements are more expensive I would think, plus you are cutting, I would think you would be better off eating solid food to help curb the hunger.

For $40-$50 a week you can eat 2000 calories a day of "healthy" food, just avoid the steaks and stuff because it is more money. Stick to turkey, tuna, and chicken.

FatDavid
05-30-2004, 11:05 PM
$40-$50 is a bit steep for me...I know it sounds sad, but it's true.

What about things like rice, noodles, and potatoes? Would the high carbs be a bad thing, or could I use that to up my cals cheaply?

Dedicated
05-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Get food stamps.

High carbs isn't bad, but if you are gonna eat 2000-24000 calories a day(I'm assuming since you said 2000+), try and get about 180 grams of protein, that shouldn't be too difficult to get with that many calories. The rest can be carbs and fat, and I would try to get at least 70 grams of fat. Again 70 grams shouldn't be difficult to get with that many calories, and then that leaves 250ish grams for carbs. It's a rough estimate, but it isn't difficult to fill those numbers with that calorie intake, and it should work fine.

big calvin
06-01-2004, 02:56 PM
im having the same problem as u money situation. here sum tips

-get big bag of brown rice instead of white
-oats
-eggs
-ground turkey
-chicken breasts
-2% milk
-100% wheat bread
-big ball of turkey(cook it and store it so u have real turkey 2 put between bread instead of deli style)

it shouldnt b more then $30 a week on 1500-2000 calories hope i helped

Vido
06-01-2004, 05:56 PM
$40-$50 is a bit steep for me...I know it sounds sad, but it's true.

What about things like rice, noodles, and potatoes? Would the high carbs be a bad thing, or could I use that to up my cals cheaply?

High carbs isn't necessarily bad, but those choices of carbs are not optimal. Oats and brown rice are cheap...stick with those.