PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to lose weight

LC
05-31-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm 6'2 210 pounds. But I continue to gain weight, instead of losing weight. I workout six days a week doing chest and tri's on mon. and thurs. and back and bi's tues. and friday and then legs on weds. and sat. Iím also doing some type of cardio to burn 300 calories a day.

I eat 3 meals a day with a protein shake after my workout and I usually have a protein bar during the day as a snack

Breakfast is 4 eggs with bacon bits and cheese along with a glass of milk or orange juice. All of that adds up to be about 700 calories
Lunch is 2 sirloin burgers that are 330 calories a piece along with a glass of milk. All of this adds up to be about 750 calories
Dinner is a salad and either a piece of steak or a chicken breasts or a piece of fish depending on what I have and a glass of milk. Which is about 400 calories?
My protein bars are 200 calories and my protein shake is 290 calories.

All of that adds up to 2340 calories a day I thought that about the intake I should be taking in to lose weight? I'm confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

Should I consume even a smaller amount of calories a day? If so how much should I consume? Should I change anything in my diet?

Thanks

Wu36
05-31-2004, 04:19 PM
If you're just starting out it could be some newbie gains. But if overall body composition hasn't improved your metabolism might suck. Cutting out the OJ/Milk would be a good start if the latter is true.

LC
05-31-2004, 04:26 PM
I've been working out for 6 weeks now pretty hard.

So just cutting out the milk/OJ and keeping the same diet would help me start to lose weight?

Thanks

harryhoudini66
05-31-2004, 04:48 PM
How about a body fat test? You may be gaining some lean muscle mass.

LC
05-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Where can i get a body fat test done? The gym I go to doesnt offer to do that. I really dont think I have gained any fat its just that today when I got on the scale i was up 2 pounds from two days ago.

Also is the lower part of the stomach the hardest part to get rid of and what are some good ways to get rid of the fat around there.

Thanks

Wu36
05-31-2004, 04:53 PM
yeh, a bf test or simply a look in the mirror would be best before any changes. if you happen to be gaining lbm and at least maintaining bf you might not wanna change anything.

harryhoudini66
05-31-2004, 04:56 PM
use one of those body fat scales or get some calipers.

Vido
05-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Also is the lower part of the stomach the hardest part to get rid of and what are some good ways to get rid of the fat around there.

Yes, the fat on the lower abdomen is the hardest for males to get rid of. It will go away eventually once the fat from the rest of your body is already gone; you cannot target the area specifically.

harryhoudini66
05-31-2004, 05:35 PM
dude I lost about 75 pounds and still cannot get rid of the at around there. I think that will be the last to go. I am guessing that I have about 2-5 pounds of fat betwen my lower stomach and love handles. You just have to keep trying.

SquareHead
05-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Count calories every week you gain or dont loose subtract 500 cals until your at the rate of 1-2 lbs a week. Read up on this site in journals of those that are cutting look into their routines. Think about starting a journal. Eat CLEAN!!

salak
06-03-2004, 09:21 AM
drink a lot of water at least 7 glass a day n try to go for a jog once a week it really helps

Augury
06-03-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm 6'2 210 pounds.
But I continue to gain weight, instead of losing weight. I workout six days a week
I’m also doing some type of cardio to burn 300 calories a day.
I eat 3 meals a day with a protein shake after my workout and I usually have a protein bar during the day as a snack

All of that adds up to 2340 calories a day

Should I consume even a smaller amount of calories a day? If so how much should I consume? Should I change anything in my diet?

Thanks

First off, welcome to the forums. I hope that you remain here and see sucess at whatever your goals are. Friendly bunch here and a lot of usefull info from all the different folks who train.

Part of your problem will be the ammount of info out there and the fact some of it conflicts. The key is to keep on reading. read read read and slowly the truths will get reinforced and the sillyness will be plain to see. There are a lot of journals too and some are packed with usefull info and tips.

Regarding you right now:

for good, regular weight loss shoot for an intake of about 14cals per lb of bodyweight. For you that would be 14x210 = 2940. so say 2900.

The next trick is to spread those calories out over 6 meals during the day. 500 cal per meal.

next is to make sure that the macronutrient ratios are good.

go for 1g/lb of protien: 210g per day = 840 cals from protein

30% of cals from fat but also no less. you need fat. but good fats (mono unsaturated) and dump the saturated fat sources. so:

870 cals a day from fat = 96g. get no more than 25g of this from saturated fat. get rest from olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil etc.

rest from carbs: 2900-870-840=1190 cals from carbs = 295g a day of them.
oats are great in the morning. low glycemic index, filling and get you a good dose of carbs.

So...6 meals a day following the breakdowns above should have you eatig regularly and often and not ending up with your body in "starvation" mode whereby the metabolic rate shuts down on you and you start to gain weight (sound familiar?)

next is throw in some cardio to increase the deficit. say 3-4 25min sessions per week.

you also said you are weight training 6 times per week? thats too much dude. Go to the frnt page of the forums and look up the WBB1 weight training regimen. it is fantastic, 3x per week, heavy and designed to make growth. dont overtrain, its counterproductive.

Lastly, be patient. It takes time for the body to adjust to what you do to it. slow and steady is better than a shock that your body adapts to and then tries to counter the effects of.

The stuff ive written above is just a guide to get you going. there are hundreds of diets and training methodologies and im sure in time you will find ones that suit you. other people will post too and all have valid points to make. just sort the advice out that helps you towards your goals.

Augs

chris6969
06-03-2004, 12:10 PM
you've only been working out 6 weeks?! you're probably gaining muscle. (newbie gains)

increase the protein in your diet while maintaining that # of calories. Looks like you have too much carbs AND fat.

Harry, get liposuction!! Thats the sure fire way to get that lower ab fat that TAKES forever to get rid of. I want to get Lipo, since I have that one spot on my body thats fat.. (lower abs) - plus a little on my chin, but thats genetic I think. Even when I was skinny I had some chin fat.

I wonder what percentage of Pro BB's have had lipo?

Shark
06-03-2004, 02:03 PM
1. Drop the milk, don't drop the OJ.
2. Eat more, 2800 cals a day sounds about right.
3. You're probably retaining water and food weight, 2 pound gain in 2 days means water weight. Don't sweat it. (lol, i kill myself sometimes!)