PDA

View Full Version : Would someone comment on this quote from an article I read

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
"It is difficult to consume 25 calories per pound of bodyweight by simply eating food. This is where food supplements are important. AtLarge Nutrition's Opticen and Nitrean are both excellent additions to your mass gaining diet. Nitrean is a protein only powder which mixes wonderfully even in water. Opticen is a meal replacement powder which contains protein, carbohydrates, a very small amount of fat, and various vitamins and minerals which also mixes easily. It is a simple thing to drink 500-1000 calories, much simpler than eating the same quantity of solid food. For those who find consuming sufficient calories difficult, I highly recommend you supplement your meals with at least two shakes per day"

So I am getting 3100 cal a day. I should be getting 3750 (I'm 5'7" 150lbs) They are telling me to take a meal replacement, or a weight gainer.
1. When should I take this?

2. Should I only take it on days that I do not eat enough food (like this past saturday, where I only consumed 1600 + cal way under, but i was visiting friends, so I was not able to sustain my average.

3. Or should I just simply eat more (which is not easy, as I concur with the article)?

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Jesus Christ. I think 25 kcal/lb is more for the extreme side of ectomorph, or someone incredibly active.

Although i am more endo, i tend to not get more than 20kcals/lb for gaining phases.

At 3100kcals/day, if you're not gaining, then eat more. If you're gaining too much weight (like more than 2lbs a week, unless you're already a skinny little bitch) then go easy on the calories.

About point 2, you're not gonna be able to stick to diet 100% everyday, so just make the most of the days you can. Hell, i'm dieting right now but i spent the entire day with my gf so ended up eating pizza late in the day.

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE]
At 3100kcals/day, if you're not gaining, then eat more. If you're gaining too much weight (like more than 2lbs a week, unless you're already a skinny little bitch) then go easy on the calories.

[\QUOTE]

Well I only started last monday, so I woul dthink it is way to soon to know.
However, at 150 , 5'7" I dont really consider myself a " skinny little bitch". SO i guess time will tell.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Haha, nah. Wasn't calling you it man.

Give it two weeks, and maybe try and weigh yourself the same time each week to assess weight changes. Keep gains or loses under 2lbs.

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
besides see if I have more fat on my body, how would I really know if the weight is going ot muscle or overall fat?

geoffgarcia
06-01-2004, 11:11 AM
besides see if I have more fat on my body, how would I really know if the weight is going ot muscle or overall fat?
it is difficult to tell, you could try some type of bodyfat measuring test, but they all have their weaknesses.
The more accurate ones are prohibitevly expensive and not offered at most places

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Use the mirror, but give leeway for water retention and bloatedness.

In time you just know.

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 11:55 AM
true true.

hey TCD (thats The Chicken Daddy w/o having to spell ur name out, which is how ill refer to you after this annoyingly long explanatory statement),
Beans or Tuna? which is better if you would have to choose one for a quick snack?

TheGimp
06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Tuna. Better protein quality.