PDA

View Full Version : Protein post workout and pre-sleep

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 10:33 AM
I take my protein shakes at 10:30 am and right after my workout.

I was told that your body needs to have protein within 45 minutes of your workout or it will start to cannabolis itself.

I also heard that you should consume protein before you fall asleep.

SO my question is, I eat cottage cheese and fruit before bed, is that enough protein (14g per 1/2 cup) or should I move my shakes around.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-01-2004, 10:43 AM
It's too generic to say that you're gonna lose muscle unless you eat straight away. It's gonna depend on how long you've been training for that workout, when you ate your last meal etc...

But in general, after a decent 40 minute workout, the average person will have elevated cortisol levels (a stress hormone). It's the fact that insulin release essentially "switches off" the cortisol release that lifters get simple carbs and protein down after.

Of course the body rebounds after a good workout by elevating protein synthesis for like a day and half after (i think, it's been a while sicne i read any of this stuff) so it's always a good idea to ensure you get regular good feeds around workout times. All the time, in fact. So do try and make the most of the time after training though.

Cottage cheese is a good choice before bed. Some sort of oil or fat with it too. And maybe a small amount of carbs, although they're not critical.

Some people get nightmares if they eat cheese before bed though. :)

Bboy486
06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
yea I have seen the boogie man once or twice after a good helping of CC lol

Vido
06-01-2004, 06:11 PM
SO my question is, I eat cottage cheese and fruit before bed, is that enough protein (14g per 1/2 cup) or should I move my shakes around.

If it were me, I'd have anywhere from 2-4 servings of the cottage cheese, drop the fruit, and add some nuts, oil, or natty pb. So, in direct response to the question, I don't think that's enough protein, nor do I think you should have a shake instead of whole food before bed.

Jonno
06-01-2004, 06:14 PM
i always have 2 chicken breasts before bed because i cant stand cottage cheese.

Vido
06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
i always have 2 chicken breasts before bed because i cant stand cottage cheese.

Throw some sort of EFA in there too and that's a solid pre-bed meal.

Bboy486
06-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Vido I have enough nuts throughout my day, i dont think it would be that smart to put more in to it

Vido
06-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Why not? As far as I know you can't overdose on nuts.

chris mason
06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
It is called fat content Vido. Fats are very calorie dense at 9 kcals per gram. Consuming an excess of nuts can lead to an overconsumption of calories in general.

Bboy, it all depends on your taste and goals. You can certainly get sufficient protein from food alone. Supplemental shakes are merely a convenient and sometimes tasty was to consume protein with a minimum of fat and calories. Personally, I drink a shake right before bed every night (Opticen or Nitrean).