PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with drinking sodas when bulking?

Jack Benson
06-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Like 2, 3 a day. Loaded with carbs, sugars.

And why are people scared to put brown sugar in their oatmeal?
Why not load up a couple teaspoons in it?

Vido
06-01-2004, 05:51 PM
There's a recent thread on why soda isn't good for you. As for carbs and sugars, the kinds you are finding in the soda are not the kinds you should be striving to eat.

I believe the more accurate question is why WOULD you put a couple teaspoons of sugar in your oatmeal? Plain oats taste just fine and simple sugars shouldn't be a part of one's diet, except possibly post-workout.

Jonno
06-01-2004, 06:12 PM
a soda is pretty much a liquid candy bar.. even when bulking you want to take in good clean foods and not empty caloires that provide no nutritional value.

NHBFAN
06-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Refined sugar impairs your immune system.

SalahG
06-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Like 2, 3 a day. Loaded with carbs, sugars.

And why are people scared to put brown sugar in their oatmeal?
Why not load up a couple teaspoons in it?
Soda's are empty calories in a can. They have NO nutrient value, it's just sugars. To add, the carbonation is horrible for you as well. Stick to the natural stuff! :)

Saint Patrick
06-02-2004, 02:04 AM
I agree w/ everyone who says soda=evil.

A little brown sugar in your oatmeal isn't a big deal though.

Budiak
06-02-2004, 03:56 AM
I disagree.

I don't think that having a can of Sprite with a large meal of sweet potato and chicken breasts is going to do that much damage. You're trying to put on weight. I'm also under the impression that the insulin spike from the sugar in the soda is going to be somewhat supressed by the slower-digesting proteins and fibrous carbs in the meal.

There are, however, many problems associated with a high intake of sucrose and fructose..liver carb stores and such.

Its late.

I'd say that one or two 12oz cans of soda in a day isn't going to be that big of a deal if it is eaten with a larger meal of good food (to balance out insulin spike). I'll also say not to make a habit of it.

GonePostal
06-02-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm with Budiak. Soda is not that bad when you are bulking (esspecially when you are drinking it with a meal). The only thing is 1 you have to realize they are empty calories and 2 you may increase your fat gain. If you keep those 2 in mind i don't see the problem with drinking pop (not alot like 1 can or so) while bulking.

Vido
06-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Isn't the point on a bulk to maximize muscle gain, while keeping fat gains to an absolute minimum? So, why would you engage in an activity that "may increase fat gain"? It may or may not, but why take the chance?

Saint Patrick
06-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Agree w/ Vido.

Although keep in mind that some of us bulk cleaner than others.

Holto
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
how about the phosphoric acid creating acidosis and then your body breaks down muscle to get glutamine (a base) to make your body more basic

GonePostal
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
How about 1 pop is not going to hurt you? I don't drink pop personally but I don't see a problem with it. People get "big" and still enjoy beers, smoke weed, eat fast food and what not. Pop is not the end of the world. It doesn't help your goals (in the sense they are empty calories, but calories are calories) but the effects of it are overstated.

Vido
06-02-2004, 05:32 PM
How about 1 pop is not going to hurt you? I don't drink pop personally but I don't see a problem with it. People get "big" and still enjoy beers, smoke weed, eat fast food and what not. Pop is not the end of the world. It doesn't help your goals (in the sense they are empty calories, but calories are calories) but the effects of it are overstated.

I don't think anyone is saying a pop is going to kill him. Just like beer, weed, or fast food won't kill you either. All of the above will slow down your progress though, so the choice is up to the individual.

Budiak
06-03-2004, 04:57 PM
I had a friend who drank 4 grape sodas a day from the cheap vending machine at Wal Mart and he got an ulcer after about six months. Doc told him 'Its from the grape soda, ****er.'

He broke his leg, too. Diagnosis? Ginger ale.

Anyways, I took 'bulk' to be the addition of overall bodyweight. These days I just so assume that if someone says 'bulk' they mean 'eating with near-reckless abandon' as opposed to 'lean bulk' where the minimizing of added bodyfat is of great importance.